PARASITES AND VANCO

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
justme
Long Time Contributor

PARASITES AND VANCO

Postby justme » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:11 pm

I don't know the answer to this question, but maybe someone more familiar with chronic colon issues would know. My husband was infected by a parasite while teaching a class in Malaysia about 7 years ago. It took a long time for a prognosis, as many doctors here in Hawaii are not familiar with parasitical infections. His symptoms are somewhat like C.Diff, but much milder. He was prescribed Flagyl and it works when the the infection is active, but it doesn't kill the progeny of the parasites as they dig into the walls of the intestine until adulthood. He then has to go through the whole process of taking Flagyl until the symptoms recede. The poor guy has been miserable for the last few days and has been taking the Flagyl, but as well all know, that nasty drug causes it's own side effects. Does anyone know if Vanco would work on parasitical infections? Vanco has much milder side effects than Flagyl and even though it is expensive, it would be a better alternative (if it worked).
Aloha,
Anne

roy
Administrator

Re: PARASITES AND VANCO

Postby roy » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:28 pm

I think only a Dr can answer that but I do know that vanco acts differently to flagyl and the ONLY use for oral vanco it to treat c.diff, (occasionally it might be used for colitis caused by staph).

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:29 pm

Anne

I am so sorry your husband is going through this. When O&P testing is done, the parasite is identified and then treated accordingly. Each is different and some much more difficult to treat.
It sounds like this has been going on a long time, possibly a new GI or ID and retesting?

I hope things improve soon
NanciT

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:49 am

Just me,
Have not heard from you for awhile.

I would think an infectious disease doc would know the most about parasites.

Hope you are doing well.

justme
Long Time Contributor

Postby justme » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:30 pm

Thank you everyone for your responses. Tom will talk to his doctor and see if anything new is available to treat his particular parasite which is "blastocystis hominis". However, he'll probably have to soldier on with having to take Flagyl when the parasite is active. He's saw an infectious disease doctor a few years ago, and Flagyl was the prescribed drug. Fortunately, unlike C. Diff, he can still eat normally, but has to endure a lot of bowel discomfort (which increases with the Flagyl as we all know).

Bobbie: I am doing fine. Tom (my husband) retired from teaching last year and is enjoying being a "pensioner". He watches a lot of football, baseball, hockey, etc. It is fun having him home. He is a wonderful cook and loves to experiment. So we are both getting a bit larger than we want to be. Our son works for the DOD in Washington state (he is a retired Air Force Major) and has accepted a 4-year posting in Japan. Everyone is happy except our granddaughter who is 14 and entering high school. We don't see them very often, but keep in touch. How is your family? Is your son still living in England? It's hard to be a long distance grandparent as the kids grow up so fast.

Aloha,
Anne

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:42 pm

What about Alinia? I know that has been used for parasites and also as a chaser to vanco for c difficile. Not sure if it covers his specific parasite. Ask the doctor about it.

Return to “Free Form Discussion”