Introduction and a Few Questions

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
kinetosi
Brand New Poster

Introduction and a Few Questions

Postby kinetosi » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:39 pm

Hello everyone, I'm 25 F and I wanted to thank you all for posting on this forum! When I was suffering with C. Diff for four months after taking Cipro for E. Coli, all the information here helped me through it. This was where I read about the FMT procedure, so I switched doctors and got a FMT in late January. I can't thank you all enough for your help!

However, now I'm back in that "watch, worry, and wait" phase as I take antibiotics for a UTI. I was in so much pain, I had to go to an urgent care and begged the PA to give me Macrobid instead of Cipro. I was able to speak to my GI doc the next day, and he told me to take Vanco b.i.d. (Flagyl just about destroyed me) and a probiotic (Culturelle). This is day three now, and so far no diarrhea, but frankly, I'm anxious.

Has anyone taken Vanco with another antibiotic to stop C. Diff from relapsing? Do any of you continue to take probiotics after a course of antibiotics and an FMT, and have recommendations for which probiotic?

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Introduction and a Few Questions

Postby NanciT » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:12 pm

Hello and Welcome to the site Please read the first thread for all new posters

Glad to hear you had your FMT and put CDIFF behind you. I did not have an FMT but after a year of Vanco and Dificid I did get through CDIFF.

I did end up with a UTI after all of this and at the time (following culture) I had to take Keflex. My GI and Urologist decided not to have me take Vanco after they felt it attributed to my bladder pain.
I hope they did a culture for you, there are several on the site who have taken Macrobid and done just fine.
Hope all goes well and you feel better soon
NanciT

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:21 am

I took Cipro after FMT and had a terrible relapse. I had to have another FMT. I have been okay with doxycycline and Z pak. Two years ago I took some kind of cephalosporin (don't remember which one) and tested positive, but did not need to treat as D subsided. I am still testing positive. Doctor thinks I may have been colonized at the hospital when I was there.

Macrobid is a low offender.

kinetosi
Brand New Poster

Postby kinetosi » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:42 pm

Thank you both for your responses! I was doing rather well, but it always seems to hit me two weeks later.

I've had barely-formed stools for the last three days. I bought Florastor that I'm going to take to see if I just lost all my gut bacteria. I don't know for sure if it's c. diff- I'm getting more chills and almost no stomach pain. What kind of test should I take if I decide to have my doctor test my stool?

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:39 am

I would get a PCR. That one is the most accurate. Now they usually follow up a positive PCR with an EIA. Hopefully, you are not positive.

Dani
New User

Postby Dani » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:23 pm

I took several months of antibiotics and finally had FMT is January .Six weeks later I got my first ever uti and let’s just say I was devastated to be in a situation to have to take antibiotics so soon after my fmt. I took macrobid for 5 days along with Vanco for 7 and a renew life extra care ultimate flora probiotic and drank tons of keifer. My stools changed after about 3 days on the meds and continued to get looser but no D. About a week after I stopped the antibiotics I had a stressful day at work and woke up the next day to D and M which the M lasted for the next 10 days. I rested and ate bland for 2 weeks and things have gotten better. I’ve been off the meds for 5 weeks now and feel better. Hang in there and don’t panic if things change a little. I hope it all goes well for you.

Return to “Free Form Discussion”