Oral Thrush?

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
Megs717
New User

Oral Thrush?

Postby Megs717 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:58 pm

Anyone else get this? I don't know if it is from the Flagyl, or the Vanco I am currently on, but I am nearly certain that's what it is. Any good treatment recommendations that I can add to my ever growing list of C-Diff related medications?

MKW
Regular Contributor

Re: Oral Thrush?

Postby MKW » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:47 pm

Hi, I got thrush after two rounds of Flagyl. My tongue looked like a white carpet and had red bumps. It was bad. My first GI doc, who was incompetent, said it had nothing to do with the Flagyl and told me to go to my pcp.
They gave me nystatin and later lozenges.
It didn’t work, and I ended up with swollen lymph nodes even in my neck. I ended up having to take multiple rounds of diflucan to get rid of it, and always wondered if that contributed to my recurrences.
The moral of this story is, don’t let it get out of hand.
I can tell you I used coconut oil, for what they call “oil pulling”, and it absolutely helped. Also just salt water rinse helped.
Everyone is different. Some people experience just mild symptoms that go away without treatment.
Also, over time I have seen several posters who have developed thrush from Flagyl, and one who commented it happened from Vanco.
Interestingly, I actually had developed some minor symptoms again while taking Vanco before my FMT. Tongue was white, stinging gums. Two days after the FMT, the symptoms were suddenly totally gone! Maybe just a coincidence. But I have read that these beneficial bacteria travel through the lymphatic system, like how they get in breast milk. Not sure of an explanation, but it seemed connected.

Megs717
New User

Postby Megs717 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:59 pm

MKW,
Oh goodie, another thing to look forward to! When it rains, it sure pours! I'll go into my walk in clinic and ask for something. I'll try the rinse and lozenges, if they don't work, I'll add to my ever-growing pile of medicine.
It's amazing how one thing (C-Diff) can domino into every other facet of your body! Talk about frustrating! I just want off of all this medicine!

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:16 am

Yes, I had it during C. diff treatment, I think from Vanco. (I was initially on Flagyl.) Diflucan worked for me. It's not an antibiotic, so should not cause any recurrence.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

Megs717
New User

Postby Megs717 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:02 am

Perfect :) Since it's the weekend and my doctor isn't around, I decided I'd drink Kefir (I had got it because of the C Diff, but hadn't opened the bottle yet) after I saw an article about thrush, and how kefir is very helpful. Ironically enough, the white on the back of my tongue is nearly gone. Obviously I'll keep an eye oj it in the coming days, but wow! My tongue had been white for nearly 2 weeks and BOOM, a few glasses of kefir and it sure helped.

MKW
Regular Contributor

Postby MKW » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:11 pm

I drank kefir from the third time I had c Diff until last week ( a long time!), because I’m dealing with SIBo now and on a strict diet. It always made me feel better. The GI doc who did my FMT recommends kefir above other probiotics. It is definitely possibly it could help with the thrush.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:07 am

Flagyl gave me trush as well but after I got switched to Vanco it started to clear slowly. I was patient and did not rushed into treatment and it finally cleared on it's own.

Return to “Free Form Discussion”