Paprika

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
justme
Long Time Contributor

Paprika

Postby justme » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:08 pm

My mother passed away recently at 93 years old. She was the matriarch of a large family of mixed race and ethnicity. She did not want a church service nor any fuss. She just wanted to be cremated and have her ashes strewn in the ocean at her favorite ocean park in Kauai. The grandchildren (who are all grown with families of their own and living here and on the mainland) gathered together on her birthday Jan. 26th to ensure her wishes were carried out. My son flew in from Washington state and stayed with us on Oahu for several days before and after the ceremony. I thought it would be nice to honor her by having a dinner in her honor with a meal that celebrated her Mexican/Hungarian heritage. However, since my sensitive system would not react well to Mexican food, I thought Chicken Paprikash with galushkas would be better. My husband (who is the family cook) got recipe's from my cousin who immigrated from Hungary when she was 12, my sister, and perused on-line versions. The meal was successful and much enjoyed by all. Then . . the pain began. My IBS was terrible (and continues to be a week later). What we didn't realize was that paprika is a "spice" although it does not taste spicy (and we used "sweet paprika"). I've been miserable ever since. So . . . note to all sufferers of IBS - STAY AWAY FROM PAPRIKA!
Aloha,
Anne

Bobbie
Administrator

Re: Paprika

Postby Bobbie » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:03 am

So sorry about your mom. Everything sounds lovely _ except you getting sick. Give it some time. I use paprika a lot - but the regular kind. No problems yet.

This is one disgusting disease!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:19 am

Sorry about your mom, Anne. It does sound like a very nice family get together to say farewell. Are you positive it was the paprika and maybe not the dishes themselves - maybe the galushkas? Or perhaps the emotions of losing your mom and the final farewell? I recently lost my husband's cousin to the flu and last weekend was the Mass and burial and my stomach was really upset. I attributed it to eating different food at the luncheon, but thinking about it later, I think it was being emotionally upset. Whatever caused your GI upset, I hope it goes away quickly and no more paprika for you for a while.

justme
Long Time Contributor

Postby justme » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:39 am

Beth: You might be right. The whole thing was upsetting for various other reasons too. Also, today is my birthday (74) and that might have some bearing on it. Oh - and regarding Paprika. It isn't just a spice, it is a "pepper". Galushkas are just little dumplings so I don't think that those were a problem.
Aloha,
Anne

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:25 am

I love hugarian recipes and often make gulash myself with lots of paprika and it doesn't seem to bother me at all.I agree with Beth , maybe it wasn't the gulash , maybe it was the stres of losing your beloved mom.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:46 pm

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Anne. I hope that you are able to enjoy some time with your family and able to eat a few treats as well.

Return to “Free Form Discussion”