Amitryptilline for PI-IBS

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
MKW
Regular Contributor

Amitryptilline for PI-IBS

Postby MKW » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:10 pm

I had a successful FMT in March of 2017 after multiple recurrences of C Diff. Since then I have had varying IBS symptoms, and also suffer with anxiety. I take Levsin sometimes, immodium occasionally, and was put on Klonopin for anxiety which ended up and helped with my IBS also. Many, many years ago at age 19-20 (am now 46) I took imipramine then amitryptilline for IBS-D and it resolved all of my symptoms. I am curious if any of you have taken a tricyclic antidepressant for post C Diff IBS and what your experiences have been good or bad. If anyone has any feedback for me on this, I'd really appreciate it! My dominant IBS symptom is actually pain and cramping. Thanks, Melanie

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Amitryptilline for PI-IBS

Postby NanciT » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:58 pm

Hi Melanie

My GI brought it up to me due to my Post IBS, I also take Levsin as needed. I decided against the amytriptyline due to the side effects. It can cause constipation and that was part of my IBS. If you have taken it in the past or something similar it may work for you. You also may want to talk with your pharmacist, they are a wealth of information.

NanciT

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:54 am

You can check IBS-D forum (there a few with Post - CDiff IBS), at least 50 % of posters there are on tricyclics antidepressant and most of them got great relief from them .

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:05 pm

I tried amitryptiline and it made me feel like a zombie. I stopped taking it, but I know others have posted that it has helped them.

MKW
Regular Contributor

Postby MKW » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:13 pm

Thanks for the replies everyone! I got a prescription Wednesday for 25 mg at bedtime. I feel like I should give it a shot and just see what happens. Although, I have had several people tell me it will make me very drowsy, and that I may not be able to tolerate that aspect. Am hoping for the best! I feel like I would do anything to feel normal
again. For me the IBS symptoms just keep the C Diff fear alive, because I'm always having to evaluate my symptoms... is this IBS or seem like C Diff. I know you all can relate!

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:52 am

Let us know how you do. Since it is primarily an antidepressant it may well help with your mood and anxiety as well so may be just what you need. Taking it at bedtime helps with the drowsiness side effect. Just remember to give it enough time for your body to get used to it and the side effects may lessen or go away entirely.

Return to “Free Form Discussion”