Tick bite abx

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
Acres
Regular Contributor

Tick bite abx

Postby Acres » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:04 am

Hi,
I was in the country and went hiking last week with my dog. Afterwards I found 2 ticks attached to my body (they were still flat and did not consume any blood)....
Pulled them out with tweezers. One location was instantly red so I went to urgent care thinking the head might still be inside ( The bite was behind my right shoulder so it was difficult to see)
The PA told me I might need 2 to 3 weeks of Doxycycline if I get Lyme symptoms......
Anyone have experience with doxy for several weeks ? I know it is a low offender but I am still very nervous about taking any abx.....
Hopefully I will be ok.....but as usual my anxiety is in overdrive right now....
Scott

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Re: Tick bite abx

Postby Lisa33 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:59 am

Hi Scott - I have not had to take doxy, but I know that several posters on this site have taken it and did fine with it. I am so sorry you got two tick bites. That is just crazy. We have a lot of ticks where I live, and it's something that I fear constantly. My fear of Lyme is just as bad as my fear of c-diff. My mother in law suffered with chronic lyme several years back and it really is awful. She didn't know she was bitten by a tick, which is usually when chronic lyme becomes a problem. So, it's good that you saw the tick bites. I know several people who have had to take doxy after they got the bulls-eye. I believe most doctors give the antibiotic as standard if the bulls-eye is present. I know there is a lot of controversy with Lyme, but I do know that the people that I know who had the bulls-eye and took the doxy, did not suffer from chronic lyme, and did fine after. One was a 5 year old child. I would take probiotics just in case the med is needed. Hopefully, you won't need the antibiotic and will be just fine though.

Lisa

Acres
Regular Contributor

Postby Acres » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:53 pm

Thanks for the reply. I have been doing well & now the cloud of abx looms over my head.....I am scared....
Several days after the bites I came down with cold like symptoms..... Doctor appt. tomorrow.....

I read about a few people on this site that have taken doxy and were alright, but it is still VERY nerve wracking....
I will take Florastor and double down on vsl3 if I go the doxy route....
When will there be a vaccine ?
Scott

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:01 pm

I know - I wish there will be a vaccine soon. All of us fear needing to take an antibiotic. It just stinks! I had c-diff 3 years ago, and have needed to take a z-pack once last year. I got through it ok. All we can do is take probiotics to try to maintain good gut flora. I am a germaphobe since c-diff, constantly washing my hands and my 6 year old's hands, to avoid getting sick. It is very nerve-racking. You may just be coming down with a cold, coincidentally. I believe the symptoms of lyme are fever and flu-like. The bulls-eye is the classic sign though. I'll be pulling for you that you do not have lyme.

Acres
Regular Contributor

Postby Acres » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:13 pm

Thank you..... I feel calmer just venting here and getting some support from people who understand life during and after c diff...
Scott

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:49 pm

Do not fool around with Lyme even if it means taking the doxy. From what I've heard from people who have gotten Lyme, it's as bad (if not worse) than C. diff because it's even more resistant to treatment than the latter.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:27 pm

I took doxy a few years ago for 10 days and did not relapse.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:40 pm

Bad luck Scott. Even if you don’t get the rash but get symptoms ask to have a titre done. You don’t want to fool around with Lyme’s.
But you can only imagine the amount of people who get tick bites and never get Lyme’s so don’t panic, and while no abx is good, doxy is at the bottom of the nail-biting list as you know.

Rita

Acres
Regular Contributor

Postby Acres » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:48 pm

Hi,
Went to am integrative doctor yesterday...He took blood to test for lyme and co infections and gave me a peroxide and anti oxidant iv...He also said it was a good idea to take 3000mg of astragalus every day ( I am working up slowly to that amount). My wife told me it is an old Chinese herb that improves the immune system....
He is holding off on the doxy for now to see which way I turn...Have another appt. next Tuesday...
I am preparing myself mentally for the doxy and have the vsl3 and florastor ready to go..... Infact I started to take the florastor today after a long break - just in case. It can't hurt to build up the good yeast in my gut....
Thank you all, Scott

Acres
Regular Contributor

Postby Acres » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:37 pm

Hi,
Well I started my doxy today....100 mg per day for 7 days....That was the most my dr. would give....
Going to double down on my probiotics and pray.....This sucks....
I could use some positive vibes and karma !!
Scott

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:44 pm

Wishing you the best with this Scott. I was on Keflex for a UTI in Jan 2016, all went well. I took my VSL#3 and thankfully that was it! If you don't recall I had 5 relapses with CDIFF for nearly a year in 2014-2015

Keep us updated! Feel better soon
NanciT

Acres
Regular Contributor

Postby Acres » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:45 am

Help ! I am in panic mode. Dealing with the horrible symptoms of lyme and now this morning my stool and gut feel and look exactly like my c diff infection last year....I am hoping it is just the increase in probiotics (taking 3 florastor and 2 vsl3 a day) not the abx....
The 3 day rule, do not panic, stay calm, anxiety gut connection I keep telling myself....but my lyme symptoms are beyond horrible.....
I know I whine a lot but I am truly in a panic attack right now....I am sorry....

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:31 am

Try to calm down. I think you are letting your mind get the better of you. Chances are it is not c-diff as you are taking a lot of probiotics. You wrote this post on Saturday. Have things calmed down since then or has the D gotten worse?

Acres
Regular Contributor

Postby Acres » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:09 am

Thank you for the reply....
It is slightly better (urge to go is nasty)...I have managed to calm down.....My wife was a huge help....I cried an ocean of tears in her arms....I should have waited to post but I literally was out of my mind thinking about dealing with lyme and c diff....
I have a script for the test....I will give it another couple of days to see if my gut calms down...
And you are 100% correct I let my mind go briefly into insanity....
Scott

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:12 pm

We have all been there, Scott. C-diff is very traumatic and leaves us with terrible anxiety. And to deal with Lyme on top of it, just stinks. You will get through all of this. It's great that you have a supportive wife to turn to to help you through this rough time. My husband was definitely my rock during my c-diff battle. I hope you feel better soon.

Return to “Free Form Discussion”