Another book

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
Bobbie
Administrator

Another book

Postby Bobbie » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:49 pm

Science Based Diet Book Addresses The Cause Of IBS, Small Intestinal Bacteria Overgrowth (SIBO)

The New York Times Best-Seller Protein Power Co-author, Michael R. Eades M.D. writes forward for Fast Tract Digestion IBS.

WEBWIRE – Thursday, October 10, 2013
WATERTOWN, MA, USA – Norm Robillard, Ph.D., Founder of the Digestive Health Institute has released his third book, Fast Tract Digestion IBS to provide IBS suffers with the alternative science-based Fast Tract Diet in place of drugs and antibiotics.

Approximately 50 million people suffer from IBS in the US alone. WebMD on medications for IBS states “No single medicine has been shown to be effective in relieving IBS over the long term.” Potentially severe side effects and health risks associated with commonly used IBS medications include: pain, bloating, constipation, electrolyte imbalance, mineral deficiency, rectal bleeding, heart attack, stroke and even death.

The cause of IBS, Small Intestinal Bacteria Overgrowth (SIBO), can be addressed by limiting 5 difficult to digestive carbohydrates that are likely to promote excess fermentation in the small intestine according to Dr. Robillard. His novel measurement, Fermentation Potential sorts out over 300 foods from the most likely to cause symptoms to the least likely and gives a point system to measure symptom potential in foods.

Dr. Robillard presented the Fermentation Potential system at the recent Digestive Disease Week meeting in May, 2013 to provide a different treatment option to gastroenterologists for treating SIBO-related conditions.

“Dr. Robillard shows the reader why the Fast Tract approach is superior to other diets, drugs, and even antibiotics, which are often prescribed in an off-label manner for IBS….. Even people with the most challenging symptom will be pleased with their improvement” writes Michael R. Eades M.D. in his forward.

Fast Tract Digestion IBS is available at the Digestive Health Institute website in paperback and on Amazon.com in paperback and Kindle edition.

Note date of book.

justme
Long Time Contributor

Re: Another book

Postby justme » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:37 pm

Although this sounds interesting, I've come to believe (after nearly 5 years since C. Diff) that IBS (as a result of C. Diff) is diet related and does decrease over time. The longer time passes and the further I get away from my initial infection and recovery, the less I experience dietary related IBS and the discomfort related to the IBS also lessens. I've been able to add back into my diet much of the food that caused intense reactions earlier in my recovery. I can consume yogurt and pill form probiotics, lactose free ice cream, salads, cheeses, and many more differing types of food that were big no no's even a year ago. I still avoid spicy food, but for the most part, my diet has almost returned to normal. I tend to think that common sense should prevail whenever using prescription medications. Trial and error when consuming different types of food are also good guides to finding out how close to normalcy our gastrointestinal systems are functioning. Everybody's system is different, so I can see how different prescription medications can react differently in individual cases.
Aloha to all,
Anne

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:24 am

Anne - What probiotics are you able to consume? I know you were not able to handle them before. I was doing better before the antibiotics last year. Still testing positive on PCR and having issues. I am going to try yogurt myself. What brand can you tolerate?

justme
Long Time Contributor

Postby justme » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:45 am

Hi Beth: I started taking the CVS Probiotic with 3 billion live bacteria in 10 different types. About two months ago, I just thought I'd try it and see if I could handle it and I didn't have much of a reaction. When I got my yearly urethral dilation, I added a Florastor for the 3 days I was on an antibiotic and I had no adverse reaction. Last week, I tried the Chobani Greek yogurt (on top of the CVS probiotic which I take every day) and found I could handle that too. I still have IBS from time to time, but it has gradually lessened during the last 3 or 4 months. I think my colon is healing and adjusting as time passes. I have gradually added formerly offensive food to my diet, but I anything spicy still bothers me. When I first started the probiotics, I started slow (just once a week) and slowly increased them until I could handle one per day. (I can also eat sweets, but I'm not sure that's a good thing since I've gained quite a bit of weight).
Aloha and Good Luck!
Anne

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:41 am

Thanks, Anne. I just bought some Chobani and that was what I was going to try. Hopefully, it will agree as I can use the calcium. My bone density test just keeps getting worse and worse.

justme
Long Time Contributor

Postby justme » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:44 pm

Beth: I also am very small boned and try everything to increase my bone density, or at least keep it from decreasing as much as possible. I take calcium supplements and also use Tums. Another way to help protect the bones is to increase muscle mass by doing weight bearing exercises as frequently as possible (I try to work-out every other day). It gets harder and harder as we age. Good luck with the Chobani.
Aloha,
Anne

Return to “Free Form Discussion”