Newbie to C Dif

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
kfergie4
Brand New Poster

Newbie to C Dif

Postby kfergie4 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:18 pm

Sorry for creating a new topic but I didn't see anything that applied to my situation.

I am newly diagnosed after being given an antibiotic for a dental problem. C Dif is horrible and extremely painful. I am 5 days on Vancomycin. Was going to be admitted to the hospital today for IV antibiotic if the symptoms didn't abate. Thank goodness I am much better today.

I understand about taking precautions to prevent the condition from spreading to my husband and my rescue dogs. Hand washing like mad and cleaning with bleach.

My question is about my own immunosuppression. Is it safe for my health to be out in public?

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Newbie to C Dif

Postby NanciT » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:18 pm

Hello Kfergie4 and Welcome to the site. Please read he first thread for all new posters

Starting a new thread is perfect! More people will see it and be able to answer.

I am sorry you had to find us. It sounds like you are on 5 days of Vancomycin? That is not a complete course for CDIFF. Are you seeing a GI?

Possibly you meant you are on day 5 of the 10 day course. Happy to hear symptoms are improving.

Hopefully you will continue to improve. Try to stick with a bland diet and you may consider asking your MD about a Probitoic

NanciT

OCmama
Regular Contributor

Postby OCmama » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:13 pm

Hi! Welcome to the site no one wants to be on :-/

To answer your question about being out in public and your immune system (I was also concerned about this, as having to take an antibiotic again would place me and my family back at square one) - your immune system is fighting hard against the C. diff infection. Also Vancomycin is an in incredibly powerul "antibiotic of last resort" and does alter gut flora. It does not disturb gut flora as much as many high offender antibiotics but it will alter your flora to a certain degree, making you susceptible to C. diff infections (you will be less susceptible after 2 months, try and add high quality probiotics and probiotic foods).

I hope you continue to heal and you are better soon!

-A

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:11 am

Hi
Glad you found us but sorry you are dealing with Cdiff. You said something about being admitted for IV antibiotics. Usually Cdiff is treated by mouth and the only IV antibiotic given is Iv Metronidazole along with high dosages of Vanco if the infection is life threatening (complicated with ileus,toxic megacolon). Vanco alone in the right dosage is enough to fight the infection but needs a few days to kick in , by the 7-th day usually symptoms are controlled , if you are on the 5-th day and you saw improvement it means that vanco is doing it's job. After Cdiff the immune system suffers a lot of damage and if you are already immunosuppressed you need to see a doctor and discuss whether or not IVIG infusions are a good option for you, also be sure to check for vitamins deficiencies as Cdiff can leave you deficient in B12 and D. Try to rest , eat well but bland ,drink lots of liquids to make sure you are well hydrated and try a good probiotic. Hope you will get well soon!

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:33 am

Your immune system multitasks! C.diff does not stop your immune system from fighting off other infections. In fact when you go out in public your just as likely to pick up good bugs that will repopulate your gut as you are to pick up anything else.
Vanco has not been shown to predispose anyone to a c.diff infection, but anything possible.
IV antibiotics go into the blood, are filtered out by the liver and then go into the colon, it's much quicker to take them by mouth so they go directly into the colon.
The only IV used for c.diff is flagyl and as has already been mentioned it's a last resort. (Probably not that good either).

OCmama
Regular Contributor

Postby OCmama » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:32 pm

Vancomycin is an intermediate offender for causing C. diff, which is one of the reasons it so important to be mindful of reinfection while on vancomycin.

https://www.biokplus.com/en_us/healthcare-professionals

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:33 am

I disagree that Vanco is an intermediate offender in c diff.Almost any antibiotic can be involved, including flagyl, but Vanco is not one to my knowledge, except possibly in a very rare case.

Vanco does kill some of the good bacteria in the gut but not as much as flagyl does. During my first four year old bout with c diff. Vanco enabled me to,work, exercise, and lead almost a normal life. Dificid kills even fewer good bacteria and has "cured" c diff. It was not available during my first bouts of c diff.

See CDI - Antibiotics - viewtopic.php?f=4&t=636#p4720 - for a list of those antibiotics that are most closely with c diff. Usually, but not always. they are broad spectrum antibiotics.

Vanco has cured some on the site. - by tapering or other methods. But others have had to use other methods - Dificid, FMT, etc. Vanco is not effective for c diff by IV - only orally

Vanco is only effective against c diff orally NOT by IV. It can be effective by IV against other bacteria for other purposes including surgery. I have been on it my last three surgeries.

Probiotics are another "iffy" subject, They help some but do little for others. Some docs nix their use after an FMT for fear they will negate the newly inserted bacteria.

Remember, having c diff can predispose you to having it again so be careful about taking antibiotics again and which one is prescribed.

OCmama
Regular Contributor

Postby OCmama » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:39 pm

Bobbie- I have to very respectfully disagree on Vanco, I have attached study from Infectious Disease Society of America.

I myself developed C. diff after incorrectly being given vanco.

https://academic.oup.com/cid/article/53 ... me-and-the

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:51 pm

Kfergie4, with regard to the safety of public places while being treated for or recovering from C. diff, I don't think you need to be concerned about this. The only caveat I'd add is that you may want to avoid hospitals and nursing-home/rehab facilities as a visitor (as distinguished from necessary visits for yourself or related to family) during this period. If you are in such a setting, avoid eating anything while on the premises unless there's an opportunity to wash your hands thoroughly.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:30 pm

OCmama I have to very respectfully say your talking crap!
Your interpritation of most of the info you post is wrong .

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:42 pm

OCmama if you continue posting bad/mistaken advice your posts will be removed.

OCmama
Regular Contributor

Postby OCmama » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:43 pm

Roy- gladly. Go ahead and remove all my posts, I'm over you.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:11 pm

OCmama.
I dealt with c diff since 1979'when my younger son had it and oral Vanco saved his life, I have also dealt with it myself through three long bouts of Vanco,

Our fear is that people are going to misinterpret your "findings."

If you want to leave the site, it is your choice . Best of luck to you.

MOD'S comment
Deleted one of OCM's erroneous statements.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:42 pm

OCmama, nobody said vanco does not alter gut flora to some degree but with any med, you and your dr weigh risk vs reward. One course of oral vanco cured my c diff.
You are misinterpreting that as well as the rest of the information you are posting, which is significantly off track.
If you can't hear what others are explaining it might be in your best interests to have another conversation with your drs.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:27 am

For anyone worried about Vanco causing c.diff.
Just a reminder that ORAL vanco only has one use and is not used for any other disease.
Oral vanco is only given if you already have c.diff.
If someone's Dr prescribes it when the patient tests positive but does not have symptoms the Dr and lab have ignored ALL the Guidlines put in place to protect the patient.
Treating asymptomatic c.diff can cause it to go full blown regardless of what is used to treat it.
Vanco is regarded and is actualy listed as an antibiotic of last resort, that's not because it's the last resort for c.diff.
Its because it's on the reserved list of antibiotics that will treat MRSA. Drs are told not to overuse it so that staph bacteria has less chance of becoming immune to it and it can remain effective for future generations.

Return to “Free Form Discussion”