Pelvic Floor Dysfunction

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
Musings
Regular Contributor

Pelvic Floor Dysfunction

Postby Musings » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:22 pm

Have seen a few people reference having PFD post c.diff but curious how common it is and if it is possibly related. Am waiting for confirmation from my new PCP (c.diff, at least, did teach me that doctors work for us so if they aren't working - find a new one!) but my current symptoms are close to a 100% match for PFD so will be surprised if I do not get a diagnosis.

For those who were diagnosed, did physical therapy help?

~Lauren

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Pelvic Floor Dysfunction

Postby NanciT » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:47 pm

I was diagnosed with this Post CDIFF, related to the bladder irritation from the months of Vanco I took. I saw a Urologist who made this diagnosis. I kept thinking I had UTI's, had all the symptoms and negative cultures.

I did go to PT but it took awhile to find one that had the expertise to treat this. I also found using a QUELL unit helped me a great deal with this, I continue to use it today. It works on systemic pain and it has help me with this. I could not find any medication that worked very well.

Sorry you are going through this

NanciT

Musings
Regular Contributor

Postby Musings » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:42 am

Thank you, NanciT - sorry to hear you have/are experiencing this as well!

Have already started researching physical therapists with knowledge of treating PFD so plan to schedule with one of them after I meet with my PCP next week. Thankfully, there are a few in my area which is reassuring.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:51 am

Do check out the Quell unit at Quellrelief.com. There are two other posters on the site who keep in touch with me, both had bladder issues post vanco and Pelvic floor. They also use the Quell unit, its a small tens unit and works systemically for various types of pain. There were few meds to try with this, PT helped but this has helped me the most.

Wishing you the best, happy yo have found a few PT's to try

NanciT

justme
Long Time Contributor

Postby justme » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:00 pm

I have had this condition since I had a hysterectomy. It had nothing to do with C. Diff, but due to the constant need to use the bathroom and the pressing involved I had a pelvic floor prolapse. The doctor told me there is nothing to be done except to have surgery or use a pessary, but that also has its complications. I handle it by doing 100 kegels several times a day and try not to press down to hard when having a BM. What is a Quell unit? Is it like a pessary?
Aloha,
Anne

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:47 pm

Hi

In my case it is directly due to CDIFF and also here are a few others who have developed the same thing POST Vanco which caused severe irritation to the bladder. It also caused a great deal of spasms but most medications did not help me much. PT did help but it was tough to find one who knows Pelvic floor dysfunction.

If you go to : Quellreleif.com it is actually a tens unit that works systemically . It has helped me a great deal!

NanciT

Musings
Regular Contributor

Postby Musings » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:14 pm

New PCP dismissed my belief that I have PFD and basically told me to take pain medication as needed (explained this is difficult as my stomach/GI is now very sensitive to pain medication post c.diff and she had no suggestions) and accept that sometimes there isn't an answer to pain/illness...

Going to call my insurance to see if I can see my gyno about this issue or if I need a referral. Thankfully, have been going to this gyno for 10+ years and she is amazing so know that she will at least discuss possibilities for what I am experiencing.

Never really doubted doctors prior to getting c.diff but must admit I am now rather disenfranchised when it comes to many medical professionals.

~Lauren

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:40 pm

Google mast cell disorders and interstitial cystitis. Feel free to PM me.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:41 pm

Lauren

I would recommend a Urologist. My GYN could not understand what was going on but the Urologist picked it up when I came in explaining my symptoms but I also brought information I got on Web MD about Vanco causing bladder irritation.

For several months I had negative URI's with all the symptoms. I did go to PT which did help but could not find a medication that helped me. I also started using a QUELL unit which has helped

NanciT

Musings
Regular Contributor

Postby Musings » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:26 am

Thank you, Amy. Have read up on mast cell and looked into interstitial cystitis but neither really match what I am experiencing.

I can't see a Urologist without a referral due to my insurance and since my PCP brushed off my concerns, doubt she will authorize it but hoping that if I see my Gyno that she will at least listen and possibly put the referral through for me. Wish I could just see a Urologist but can't afford the out-of-pocket cost right now.

Return to “Free Form Discussion”