Cipro for Uti

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
Laurel
New User

Cipro for Uti

Postby Laurel » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:11 pm

Dr wants me to take Cipro for urinary track infection. I have only been off the vanco for a week and a half. Does anyone know if this will cause a relapse?

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Cipro for Uti

Postby NanciT » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:35 pm

Laurel

Please ask the doctor to do a culture and sensitivities. Vanco CAN cause urinary symptoms. My urologist only treats it if the culture is 60,000+ due to my CDIFF history. Cipro is a major offender in CDIFF. The culture will determine which antibiotics will work on the bacteria. There are several "safer" ones like macrodantin.

There are many on the site that have had bladder pain, frequency after Vanco. Make sure a culture is done, even if you have to go back in and leave another sample.

Once someone has had CDIFF they should avoid antibiotics unless they are 100% necessary.

Let us know how you do

NanciT.

Laurel
New User

Postby Laurel » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:53 pm

Thank you for a quick reply. The culture won't be back to Monday I suspect. I ask her if the Cipro would cause a relapse. She shrugged her shoulders. She is young and has no idea. I need a new doctor. I have flu like symptoms so she gave me cipro without culture.
Last week when I had cdiff I also had a culture and uti was present. They gave me three days of a sulfur prescription. But it did not work. Having an ignorant Dr sux.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:12 pm

You have a Dr that seems not to care, your Drs advice is bordering on incompetent. Her prescribing could be described as dangerous.
Get a new Dr!

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:28 pm

If the UTI was confirmed by culture, they should have put you on a complete course. Find another doctor. I would be very specific and ask what GREW , what is the number and which antibiotics is it sensitive to. Look under CDI, we have the list and review the list with your MD. I would ask if its sensitive to macrodantin. Several on the site have taken it with no issues.
Also read about D Manosse. I started taking this supplement post CDIFF and its really help. Look it up in the search bar

NanciT

Laurel
New User

Postby Laurel » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:24 am

Thank you for the information. I will be getting a new dr. She took over when my wonderful dr left. Thought I would give her a try. She is horrible. I called the dr in call and got her to prescribe macrodantin. Won't know culture results til Monday. I will ask those question. Thank you again. This site is invaluable.

Laurel
New User

Postby Laurel » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:27 am

Oh and I am taking 100mg 2 times a day. 5 days After 2 doses I still feel awful. Hopefully it will start to work soon.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:37 am

Take a look at the supplement D Mannose. You can look it up in the search bar here. I still take it everyday.

Make sure you get a written copy of those cultures results. Looking for ABOVE 60,000 colonies of growth and which bacteria you have.

I mention this because so many of us have UTI symptoms on and after Vanco. Mine did not start until AFTER I was done with Vanco. My cultures have been negative except for one infection.

I hope you feel better soon

NanciT

Laurel
New User

Postby Laurel » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:11 pm

I have a dumb question. What does cdi mean?

OCmama
Regular Contributor

Postby OCmama » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:19 pm

Clostridium Dificil Infection, it's a way of differentiating between asymptotic carriage of C. diff

C. diff with disease is CDI (that is my understanding, could be totally wrong) :-)

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:57 pm

Laurel

If you are on the main page to the site, scroll down to CDI : CDIff information If you click on that there are also subheadings which have a great deal of information

NanciT

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:46 pm

viewforum.php?f=4

That's the link to the c.diff information part of this site

In medical jargon it means c.diff infection though.

Laurel
New User

Postby Laurel » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:30 am

Results came back today. Protious mirrabiilis which means the macrodantin won't work. Dr wants me to take the back I'm which I took during my vancomycin. Took for three days and did not work. And the bacrim(sp). Could bring back the cdiff. Man this is so frustrating. I have to take something. I wish I had a better dr.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:45 pm

If the urine culture came back positive there are several antibiotics used as a disc on the culture. The MD gets a list of which are most sensitive. It sounds like the doctor reviewed the list and macrodantin is not on it. Sorry you will need to be on something it is sensitive to.
If you used Septra in a previous UTI I would review the list with your doctor.

Sorry you are going through this, hope you feel better soon!!

NanciT

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:50 pm

That's a very common normal gut flora and often someone contaminates a urine sample with it instead of doing a "clean catch"
If symptoms are mild it could still be down to a vanco side effect (common).
I would be wondering if a second test might give a different result.
Did your Dr explain how to catch a sample?

Return to “Free Form Discussion”