Pneumonia in both lungs. on 2 antibiotics. Worried about c diff

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
Jimmy40
New User

Pneumonia in both lungs. on 2 antibiotics. Worried about c diff

Postby Jimmy40 » Tue May 09, 2017 10:39 am

Just left the ER. I have pneumonia in both lungs. Not sure how? Because I feel fine other than chest pain and night sweats. Doc says it looks like my body has been fighting it for a while. So they put me on an iv antibiotic and gave me two pills as well. I don't remember the names of them. Maybe the 2 I have to take for 4 and 7 days. Azithromycin 250 MG. Have to take it once a day for 4 days. And the other is cefdinir 300 MG. Take it twice daily for 7 days. Any suggestions on what foods other than yogurts I should eat? I am going to continue taking vsl#3. And florastor like I have been. But should I up the dosages for the probiotics? I take each one right now 1 capsule once a day. Still not even sure how I got pneumonia in the first place. I've had it before about 6 years ago. But I had all kinds of symptoms. Also I know there is a list on this site about low to high risks antibiotics. I can't seem to find it. Anyone know the risks of these 2 I'm on? I did tell my doctor that I am allergic to Amoxicillin and penacilin.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Re: Pneumonia in both lungs. on 2 antibiotics. Worried about c diff

Postby Lisa33 » Tue May 09, 2017 12:10 pm

Oh no Jimmy. I'm so sorry to hear this. Here is the link with the list of antibiotics by risk level for c-diff.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=636

I am not saying this to scare you, but Cefdinir is what led to my c-diff. I am not as scared of azithromycin, as I've gotten through a z-pak just fine, as did many other posters on this site. That seems like an awful lot of antibiotics, but pneumonia is no joke either. I'm sure your doctor knows of your c-diff history, but I would be concerned about Cefdinir. Make sure to take the VSL-3 spaced out from the meds as the meds will kill it off. The Florastor is not killed off by meds, so definitely continue that. Everybody reacts differently with probiotics, but if I were in your shoes, I would up it a bit more. Maybe add another Florastor if your gut can tolerate it. Yogurts with live cultures, Kefir and fermented foods are all good as well. I'm so sorry that you are dealing with this and hope you feel better soon. Hopefully c-diff stays away. You have some time under your belt, so that is a huge plus.

Feel better,
Lisa

Jimmy40
New User

Postby Jimmy40 » Tue May 09, 2017 1:57 pm

Thank you for the information. I didn't see where cefdinir ranks on the list though. But if you got c-diff from it? It must be a high risk one. We're you taking probiotics and eating fermented foods when you were on the cefdinir? Or were you like me? Oblivious to the risks and just listened to your doctor blindly? Plus my doctor is on maternity leave. Not sure when she will be back. But I told the ER doctor about my concerns with antibiotics and having c-diff before. But he seemed confident that I would be fine and to take a probiotic. You would think by now they would have more concern for it. But like you said. Maybe this is the only other way to kill the pneumonia without penacilin or amoxicillin. Only time will tell. But my stomach is already in knots over this information. And my ibs. Hopefully you are right that I've been c-diff free long enough that as long as I take my probiotics and eat good foods I'll stay c-diff free. My anxiety is on high though. Need to find a way to relax. Has anyone had a c-diff relapse while taking an antibiotic? And what about home remedies to fight pneumonia? I saw something when I googled natural ways to get rid of pneumonia. But we all know how things on the internet can be untrustworthy. Or are antibiotics the only way at this point? Sorry! Just freaking out about having to take these antibiotics.

NikaNik
Long Time Contributor

Postby NikaNik » Tue May 09, 2017 6:05 pm

Hi, Jimmy,

So sorry you are dealing with this. Did they culture you to see if the pneumonia was viral or bacterial? It can be both. Bobbie here has had pneumonia several times (maybe 7 or 8...correct me if I'm wrong, Bobbie) and I recall her posting that all but 2 of the times were viral. Sometimes they can give steroid treatments/breathing treatments for the viral type. So perhaps that is something you can ask your doctor. I think the other times she just took the Z pak and did not relapse, so maybe ask your doctor about that as well.

Definitely a good idea to keep up with the probiotics/fermented foods and get more good bacteria in there. Wishing you the best!

Nikki

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Wed May 10, 2017 12:27 am

Did you had a sputum culture done to see if you are dealing with a bacterial pneumonia? In Romania , this year , most of the pneumonias were viral and just 20% of them were bacterial , antiviral medication was needed along with bronchodilators and expectorant pills.
Z-pak is a middle of the road offender , you might be fine with it , but the combination with Cefdinir will raise the risk of CDiff.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed May 10, 2017 12:32 am

Jimmy,
I would ask for a chest x-ray and perhaps a sputum culture. Call,your regular doc's office (I know she is gone but probably has another doc covering for her). I think it is still early enough that they might be helpful.

Some of us have taken a z pak without a problem. It has bothered others, however, bit has a lesser spectrum than the other.

Call first thing in the morning. Best of luck.

Jimmy40
New User

Postby Jimmy40 » Wed May 10, 2017 5:19 am

They did a blood test, xrays, and ct scans. No sputum test. But also I'm not coughing anything up. Is why it was such a shock when they said I have pneumonia in both lungs. I don't feel that sick. just chest and back pains sweating at night hurts when I take a deep breath and some fatigue at times. With slight dizziness here and there. Last time I had pneumonia 6 years ago I was deathly sick. Also what was your meds course? Zithromax is for 5 days 2 pills on day 1 and 1 pill for 4 more days. The cefdinir is twice a day for 7 days. It's 5am here so my docs office isn't open yet. And the ER help line is down until 7am. And my next round of takimg the meds is at 6am. I need to stick to that because of the way I spread out my vsl#3. I take it just before I go to work. although I won't be going to work today. But have to go back tomorrow. So I take the probiotics at 8am gives me 2 hours separation between the antibiotics and vsl#3. Is that long enough space between?

Jimmy40
New User

Postby Jimmy40 » Wed May 10, 2017 7:50 am

I finally got in touch with someone at the hospital. She told me that it is bilateral pneumonia. And is a bacteria. She said that since it is in both lungs the zithromax alone won't kill it. Therefore needing a broad spectrum antibiotic to help. This is what she said. She also said since I had c diff before to get a lot of probiotics and eat yogurt. Sounding like the atypical/standard reply. So it sounds like I don't have too many options. I will call my doctors office when they open and see if they suggest something else. At least it's only 4 days of zithromax and 7x2 day dose of the Cefdinir. Could of been a 10 to 14 day script. Trying to look on the bright side. Lol

denizz
Regular User

Postby denizz » Wed May 10, 2017 5:48 pm

clindamycine ..amoxilin ...3rd generation cephalosporins (cefdinir) and fluoroquinolones (may be wrong spelling) first 4 drugs need to stay away ...hope u dont relaps ...i have seen ppl used sm of those broad spectrums safely after c diff ...Florastor is the main probiotic to prevent c diff ...Hope you recover soon ...

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Thu May 11, 2017 9:59 am

Sorry I didn't reply sooner, but as one of the others said, cefdinir is a cephalasporin and is in the high risk category. If you have bilateral bacterial pneumonia, that is a big deal. I would definitely add Florastor while on the meds as the meds won't kill it off since it's a yeast probiotic. Once you finish meds, that is when you should really be on probiotic intake as that is when the good gut bacteria will need replenishing bad. I am one that really believes in the power of probiotics. When I was given cefdinir, I had never heard of its risks nor did I ever hear of c-diff. The doctor did not even mention any of it to me. I took it blindly for a so-called sinus infection. Boy, have I educated myself since then. I think there is a good chance, c-diff will not be back in the picture. You are more aware of what needs to be done to prevent it, and as I said previously, you have time under your belt since you had it last.

Good luck and good health to you!
Lisa

Jimmy40
New User

Postby Jimmy40 » Thu May 11, 2017 3:51 pm

Thank you Denizz and Lisa!
Lisa that is exactly what happened to me as well. Had a sinus infection urgent care doctor gave me amox/clav. And off I went. Next thing I knew I had c-diff.

I am taking florastor twice a day as well as the vsl#3. 1 pill in the morning and 1 at night. Also eating yogurt with live cultures. For some reason Kefir doesn't always sit well with me. But I was able to have a cup of it today without incident. Also staying away from coffee and sweets for the time being. Eating pretty bland. Rice, bananas, chicken noodle soup, chicken sandwichs, some blueberries, strawberries. applesauce, And oatmeal with honey. Pretty much my diet for the time being. And a lot of water. Any other foods I should add? Please feel free to let me know. But as it stands now. Stomach is so so, and bm are of course not solid. But not pains like I had with c-diff and not watery but close enough. Hopefully it's just the meds side effect. And not c-diff creeping in. Praying It stays away. And this time next week I feel alot better. I hate this uneasy feeling in my stomach. Thank you all again for the support, kind words and information. I pray you all have a great day.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri May 12, 2017 1:42 pm

Me, too. Everything started with a sinus infection. I had sinus surgery. - a Godsend.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Mon May 22, 2017 11:10 pm

Jimmy, between the probiotics, antibiotics, the yogurt and all that fruit it's no wonder your BMs are not solid.
As long as they are not multiple watery stools don't worry and don't stop the probiotics.

Hopefully you will soon feel better and no c diff.

Rita

Jimmy40
New User

Postby Jimmy40 » Tue May 23, 2017 10:27 pm

I finished the antibiotics last Tuesday. But now I believe the pneumonia is back. So I am going to try and see my doctor tomorrow. To be certain. But the pain in my back and when I breath makes me 99.9% sure that it's pneumonia again. Plus I feel weak and been coughing with dizzy spells and haedaches. So that probably means more antibiotics. This is turning into a nightmare.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue May 23, 2017 11:40 pm

Jimmy, I was able to tolerate a z pak several times for pneumonia. Ask your doc about it. It is not a big c diff offender.

Good luck tomorrow. We will be thinking about you and hoping for good news.

Return to “Free Form Discussion”