EIA vs. PCR Testing?

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
Healed
Regular User

EIA vs. PCR Testing?

Postby Healed » Tue May 02, 2017 7:25 am

Question
Why are some doctors and labs still using EIA for testing if PCR is more accurate? And secondly, From reading some of the posts, some doctors would follow-up with an EIA testing after a PCR testing- Why?

I guess I am worrying and concerned because my last test was done via EIA-- And was found negative. I as am currently, in the post infection- IBS...( but just really concerned).

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Re: EIA vs. PCR Testing?

Postby amyc » Tue May 02, 2017 12:01 pm

The EIA test is the oldest test, and it tests for the presence of toxins. It is cheaper than PCR and doesn't require any special equipment to run, so it is still the default test in lots of places. The problem with the EIA test is that it isn't terribly accurate, so it can produce false negative results. Before the PCR test was available people would go undiagnosed and untreated until they finally got an EIA test to show positive, on the third or fourth sample they submitted.

The PCR test is very accurate, but now there is concern that it is so accurate that it could pick up cases that don't need to be treated, so some doctors and labs want positive PCR results to be "confirmed" bu a follow up EIA, to make sure toxins are really present. Personally, if I had C diff symptoms and a positive PCR, I would want treatment for C diff, and wouldn't want to wait for the old, inaccurate EIA tests to find toxins.

If you don't feel better tomorrow, I would request another test, and ask if they can specify for a PCR test. Or ask your doctor to write you an order for the test that you can take to the outpatient lab at a big hospital. Big hospitals tend to have the PCR testing equipment in their labs.

Healed
Regular User

Postby Healed » Tue May 02, 2017 5:28 pm

Thank you Amyc. I can't figure out how to send a private message.
I guess I am the watch, wait and worry list. Most of my symptoms do appear to be IBS related but I will keep my doctor posted. Initially, he did not want to test me... I am just so paranoid and worried -- that I question everything.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed May 03, 2017 1:47 am

The EIA tests are newer now I was told and more accurate. At least at the hospital where I go. I am one of the people who has been testing positive for c diff with PCR(not sure if anymore). I don't have D or the symptoms. The hospital sent the test for EIA and it was negative. I would not treat for a positive PCR UNLESS you are having symptoms like D. Overtreatment can land you up in worse condition with relapse after relapse. That is what happened to me. Carriers will test positive and they may not exhibit any symptoms at all.

Healed
Regular User

Postby Healed » Wed May 03, 2017 2:56 am

Thank you Beth22. Yes, avoiding over treatment is my concern also.

Return to “Free Form Discussion”