sinus/ear infection treatemnt & stool issues

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
Acres
Regular Contributor

sinus/ear infection treatemnt & stool issues

Postby Acres » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:05 pm

Hi, Posting here - This relates to my last post in this category....

Used Mupiricin in my nose for several days as per my Ent for a nasty sinus, ear & throat bug (told me no way it can cause c diff)....Well, the past several days I have extreme rumbling, cramps, back spasms, and string, loose stools....
Went to my GI yesterday, he said not likely, but possible to get c diff if I ended up swallowing some. Stopped using the ointment & switched to coconut oil with his approval....
Getting tested....He also said if it is positive we would try to get Dificid (hope insurance covers it again like last year)....We also talked about trying to let my body fight without abx in the event it is a positive test.....

I have read here that others have used topical abx in their nose without a problem.... Hoping it is the bug doing a number on my gut and not the abx.....
This is my 4th day of gut issues.....Not going frequently but I didn't have typical symptoms last year either....
Scott

Tsc1964
Regular Contributor

Re: sinus/ear infection treatemnt & stool issues

Postby Tsc1964 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:27 pm

I used that last summer on my nose but also took amoxcillin for sinuse. Think was double whammy. Coconut oil is great.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:39 am

I have used Neosporin ointment in my nose with no problems. I have used Mupirocin for about two weeks on my hand and for less time on other parts of my body, but not in my nose. I never had an issue with it. When you have a sinus infection or any type of URI infection, that in itself can give you D, probably from the bacteria that you swallow postnasally.

Acres
Regular Contributor

Postby Acres » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:32 pm

Hi,
I jinxed myself last week with my c diff is gone announcement thread....(have to laugh)
I keep getting colds, but this one is strange with ear pressure which I never get....
Still having gut issues.... I hope it's the virus & not c diff from placing the abx ointment in my nose.....

My GI is very good. He has no problem testing me and understands my FEAR of c diff...waiting for the results.....
My stress is through the roof, which I realize is the worst thing for a stable gut....
Scott

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:30 pm

Scott,
Stress is hard in the GI tract but part of c diff. I, too, developed multiple respiratory infections after c diff but they have decreased lately - cross fingers. I also had sinus surgery - a Godsend.

See CDI - Infections. Try saline irrrigation. It helps a lot.

Acres
Regular Contributor

Postby Acres » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:57 pm

Hi,
I have been using nasal rinse since last year, but not consistently....Three times a day this past week. After my cold finally ends I will use it 2 times a day as part of my daily am & pm routines....
Last night was bad......My gut had this horrible urge/ache/spasm episode that lasted through the night...Had to take Xanax to sleep....
This morning woke up with intense urge to go.... my 1st stool was ok....but 2 through 6 today have been bits, pencil thin and white mucus (sorry for the tmi).....Just like last year except my urge to go all week was very severe, the worst I have experienced...
My cold is sticking around as well, going on 2 weeks.....
Can upper respiratory virus do this to my gut ?
Scott

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:13 am

Yes, upper respiratory can do this too. Are you taking any kind of OTC cold meds? Those can do it too. Benadryl give me GI upset, for example.

Acres
Regular Contributor

Postby Acres » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:49 am

Hi,
I am taking Ibgard, Olopatadine nasal spray & Clarinex (last 2 advised by my Ent to take)....Using nasal rinse, salt water gargles & coconut oil drops in my nose and sucking on a chunk allowing it to melt.....
Scott

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:56 am

I am not sure where you live, but are you sure you aren't experiencing spring allergies. Tree pollen is very high right now here in NY. My daughter suffers from terrible allergies and has been awful for the past few weeks. I just wanted to throw this out there as a possibility? I am not sure why the topical in your nose, but if it's for dryness and soreness, I find this OTC ointment called "Ayr" to be very good. I hope your gut issues subside and c-diff is not in the equation. Feel better.

Lisa

Acres
Regular Contributor

Postby Acres » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:58 pm

Hi,
GI office called. C diff test is negative ! Good news ! They said if the stool issues continue to come in early next week for more testing.....
My symptoms are so similar to my infection last year, but I guess it's ibs from something. Most likely my virus....Urge to go is overwhelming with moderate pain....
A bunch of years ago, I had allergy testing done. Allergic to grass pollen, cats & mold.....
I will check out Ayr....
Ent told me to use the topical in the nose for crusting & pain. I am still not using it even with the negative test....The coconut oil seems to help...
Scott

Tsc1964
Regular Contributor

Postby Tsc1964 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:43 pm

Thats so great negative test. I think your making wise decision not to use cream. I wouldnt risk it. Glad coconut oil working.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:21 am

I've used the stuff with no problem except my neurosis.
Did add a few drops of betadine to nasal irrigation per advice of my ENT who knows of my c diff history. He says it acts as an antiseptic without having to use an antibiotic.

Rita

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:10 am

Great news on the negative c-diff test! I'm sure you are breathing a sigh of relief now!

Acres
Regular Contributor

Postby Acres » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:45 pm

Hi,
Thanks for your uplifting positive posts...
Going to check out ayr ointment & betadine for my nasal rinse...
I just wish this urge to go would calm down.....
Scott

Acres
Regular Contributor

Postby Acres » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:23 pm

Hi,
Sorry for the tmi....
Bad pain and white shredded specs came out last night with the worst urge to go...
Today there is light red blood with pain (rectum pressure) I could not sit down due to the pressure type pain afterwards....
Have the urge right now....
Aching throughout the gut....
I am SO disappointed. I was doing so well.....
Could a head cold germ finding its way into my gut really do this ?
My confidence has turned into fear.....
Scott

Return to “Free Form Discussion”