C diff is history - immune system remains weaker

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
Acres
Regular Contributor

C diff is history - immune system remains weaker

Postby Acres » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:54 pm

Hi,
My c diff is gone or sleeping.....My weight is back up to 125lbs and climbing....Eating pasta, broccoli, wheat bread, pizza, oatmeal, raisons, blueberries, small amount of chocolate and ice cream, almost everything I used to eat with several exceptions....I am careful and try new food with small portions initially.....I love coconut oil and eats tons of ground flax seed with almond butter....
So I am doing well, gut pain 100% gone.... Still take one half vsl 3 everyday (it's my permanent probiotic)....

The one lasting gut punch seems to be a weaker immune system.... I keep getting colds, over and over again (about every 6 weeks)....My Ent and Integrative medicine doctors state it might be my new normal or eventually I will become stronger, they just do not know....I use nasal rinse, salt water gargles, take vitamins, eat healthy etc....

I will admit I do worry about needing antibiotics in the future, but ALL of my doctors are aware of my situation.....
My Pain management doctor is even on board with vanco if I ever need back surgery (bad herniated discs).....

Is anyone having a similar experience after beating c diff and what did you do to strengthen your immune system ?
Scott

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Re: C diff is history - immune system remains weaker

Postby Ril » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:56 am

So glad to hear from you Scott and hear such good news!!!
I haven't had any such difficulties with my immune system. Maybe someone else has though.

4 1/2 years later I still break into a cold sweat at the thought of needing an antibiotic so you are not alone.
Don't forget to write your "Success Story"!

My best,
Rita

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:22 am

Some people have complained about a weaker immune system. Have your had your immune system checked - Igg, etc? Also, often the c difficile can leave you with vitamin and mineral deficiencies. I was low on vitamin D and A and others have had deficiencies in iron, B12, B6, folate. I know when you are anemic or are deficient in certain nutrients, your immune system can suffer. I would ask your doctor to check both your immune system markers and also for vitamin and mineral deficiencies.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:50 am

I forgot to say in yesterday's post that our digestive tract and the type of flora that we have contributes to having a good immune system. There are numerous articles about it on the Internet. So, when the flora gets messed up from c diff, the immune system can be affected.

Healed
Regular User

Postby Healed » Tue May 02, 2017 4:35 pm

Acres~
I am happy for you that your appetite is back. I am new to this support grouo forum. Can you share when you acquired c.diff and how long did you take to recover and did u experience any IBS issues?

sophie
Regular Contributor

Postby sophie » Tue May 02, 2017 5:33 pm

Acres - I'm happy for you. I'm also curious for the answers to the questlons "Healed" asked above.

Acres
Regular Contributor

Postby Acres » Wed May 10, 2017 9:33 pm

Hi, Healed and Sophie...
Sorry it took me awhile to reply but just after my thread here I came down with a bad head cold which spread to my gut...I had a nasty several weeks and started other threads due to my anxiety of a relapse (which I believe now did not occur)

I acquired the monster late January 2016 after taking Clindamycin...
I was prescribed Flagyl (stopped taking it, made my D worse), Vancomycin (did not help) and then Dificid which worked....My last abx dose was on March 16, 2016 (or just around that date)...
My stool was pencil thin, bits and pieces, not healthy for quite some time ( I was in recovery).....I had gut, flank, back and hip pain for many months...The disease and meds also irritated my bladder and prostate....
It took my colon quite some time to heal due to the disease and abx damage....
I had to eat a very bland diet. I would slowly (most of the time) add food back into my menu with some success and some failures (which would trigger a bout of ibs)
But I slowly improved...(2 steps forward with an occasional 1 step back)

I basically acquired mild to moderate pi-ibs for about a year....

The c diff and meds also gave me food intolerances which I have recovered from with the exception of heavy dairy and green leafy veggies....
I took Florastor and Vsl3 probiotics all last year and continue to take vsl3 daily....
Get well soon, Scott

Tsc1964
Regular Contributor

Postby Tsc1964 » Wed May 24, 2017 11:55 pm

Acres
Are you referring to post recovery for flank an other pains? Curious as im having that. My gut has some discomfort or odd feelings but not really pain post fmt. My joints hurt. Consulted with physical therapist today. Hope can do it. Having alot numbness in hands an feet. Trying convince dr i need full nutrient panel done us like pulling teeth.

justme
Long Time Contributor

Postby justme » Wed May 31, 2017 5:58 pm

It's been just over 4 years since I battled the beast. Being an "elder", I know my immune system is not like it used to be. I absolutely LOVE Hawaii. I love everything about it, everything except this custom that one has to hug friends and family every time you meet and leave. It is the "Aloha" spirit and hugging is part of it. However, germs get passed easily and you never know who is infected. I try not to hug if I'm sick, but it seems like no one else practices this rule. I mean, we don't just hug friends. We hug the pharmacist, the check-out person at the market, our doctors, anyone who is a friend or neighbor. This morning I woke up with a bad bug and threw up my pills (I have to consume them under my tongue) because my stomach is so delicate. It's some kind of flu and will be gone soon (hopefully). Just venting, thanks for reading.
Aloha,
Anne

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed May 31, 2017 11:55 pm

Scott, For years after my first two bouts of cdiff, I picked up viruses and bacteria. I had pneumonia 8 times. Got both pneumonia shots'and took every other preventative I could.

Have been better the last two years . Hope the same for you. Take every preventive measure you can. Best of luck.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed May 31, 2017 11:57 pm

Just me,

Sorry you aren't feeling well.

Yes don' t you just love the huggers? I usually back away.

Feel better.

justme
Long Time Contributor

Postby justme » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:35 am

Bobbie: I try to back away is they are showing visible signs of being sick, but it's such a custom here that sometimes a friend or an acquaintance will just hug me and I didn't see it coming. i'm not really complaining about the custom. It is really lovely that people feel so close to each other. We are such a tiny little island in the middle of a huge ocean, so everyone practically knows everyone. One of the news announcers on TV lives a few blocks from me, two former governors worked on boards with me, etc. It is a tiny little place, especially Oahu, with a lot of people on an island 100 miles in circumference and 50 miles wide. Hopefully, I'll feel better. I think it is a stomach virus. I hope all is well with you and yours.
Aloha,
Anne

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:46 am

If your on Maui it's probably bird flu from the chickens!
Those darn birds chased me out of a car park!

justme
Long Time Contributor

Postby justme » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:36 pm

Roy: I'm on Oahu, but we have lots of chickens here too (in the more rural areas). They have chicken fights on the weekends, and people bet on them. They've tried to outlaw it, but haven't been able to stop it.
Aloha,
Anne

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:15 pm

I made a mistake, it was Kauai that had all the wild chickens.
They had backward bred and had spur claws that could tear a cats belly open!
The islands dogs and cats avoided them!

Return to “Free Form Discussion”