Finally can put my mind at ease

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Finally can put my mind at ease

Postby Lisa33 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:41 am

Sorry to the mods that I've been MIA for a few days. Since having c-diff around 2 1/2 years ago, things never returned to "normal." I've had bouts of IBS accompanied with intense nausea, and BM's were never normal. I've had a lot of good time, as the bouts were far and few between, but I still had the constant worry that things were not right. I put off doing a colonoscopy for two years. I also recently started to experience upper GI issues. In February, I got very ill. I was having abdominal pain, intense nausea, low grade fever and my liver enzymes were very elevated. I went through many tests - CT Scan with contrast, ultrasounds, numerous blood work, h pylori, etc. It was determined that it was viral. However, I still worried that something was being missed, so my gastro ordered a colonoscopy and endoscopy. I have been dreading this for so long, but the constant worry was also too much. I finally had the tests done on Tuesday morning. Thank God, everything looked fine. He took some biopsies from both ends, but the only things that he noted was one diverticuli patch, which he said many people have and don't even know it, and some redness on the lining of my stomach, which he also didn't seemed concerned with. It was such a relief to have these done, and a weight has been lifted off of my shoulders. I relapsed only once after c-diff. I considered myself to be lucky. Vanco cured me after Flagyl failed. Recovery was tough, and things were not good for many months. Even though I was cured fairly quickly, c-diff left me with post-infectious IBS. This is my gastro's diagnosis. I just wanted to share this as the majority of posters deal with PI-IBS. It doesn't seem to matter how long the c-diff battle is.

Musings
Regular Contributor

Re: Finally can put my mind at ease

Postby Musings » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:40 am

Thank you for sharing this, Lisa. I had a fairly mild case of c.diff but three months later still dealing with PI-IBS and while have been improving doubt I will be back to "normal" anytime soon but it is reassuring to know I am not alone. Also glad to hear that nothing serious showed up on the endoscopy/colonoscopy for you!

~Lauren

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:44 pm

Thanks Lauren. You are definitely not alone. But things do get better with time! :)

NikaNik
Long Time Contributor

Postby NikaNik » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:16 am

So happy that everything looked good, Lisa, and that your mind is at ease. That is a great feeling!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:02 am

Thanks for posting, Lisa. I've been praying for you every day. Glad you are ok. I still have IBS and I first got c diff in 2008. I also was left with some redness in my stomach according to upper endoscopy. Supposedly it is mild too, but I'm sure is a result of the c diff too. I also have chronic pancreatitis - at least elevated enzymes. At least they ruled out more serious matters and that should give you some relief.

justme
Long Time Contributor

Postby justme » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:37 pm

Lisa: I am so glad you are doing well and nothing bad was found on the colonoscopy/endoscopy. PI=IBS remains an issue for me too. It's been 4 years since C. Diff (I had a bad case of it, but did not relapse). Some people ease through C. Diff and aren't plagued with IBS issues (I don't know who they are, but I've heard they do exist). The rest of us have to endure this dubious "gift/remnant" of our battle with C. Diff. I've heard it takes between 8-10 years for the colon to completely heal after an onslaught like C. Diff. I don't know how true that is, but it means I'm about half way through. It helps to know we are not alone in this ongoing battle with IBS, but it is unfortunate that we still have to put up with the daily reminders that the battle isn't completely over.
Aloha,
Anne

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:20 am

Thanks ladies for your replies. I am relieved to finally know that this is IBS. Who would have thought that anybody could be happy with a diagnosis of IBS. Crazy. It stinks that a lot of us are left with all of these issues from c-diff. It's like we have our lives pre-c diff and post-c diff. I still feel fortunate that I didn't have as nearly a hard time as many of you and others on this board have had. You are all so very supportive and just very caring women and men. Thank you so much Beth, for your prayers. I always pray for you too that the pancreatitis stays at bay and things stay well. And Anne, my doctor actually said the same thing - it can take very long for the colon to completely heal after bad infections. If anything, I can definitely deal better mentally with the GI upsets and bouts now that I know there's nothing else going on.

AnxiousJ
Regular Contributor

Postby AnxiousJ » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:56 pm

This is wonderful news! I'm sure just having those results and having it done made you feel so much better and I know it must be a huge relief!

Return to “Free Form Discussion”