Getting your mental health after c diff

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
Ajs
Regular Contributor

Re: Getting your mental health after c diff

Postby Ajs » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:12 pm

Layceelu, I know exactly how you feel. I’ve been sick the entire year of 2018. In December I had placed 2nd in a 10k. I turned 40 on December 28th and fell apart I guess. Started with flu, pneumonia, and a severe sinus infection. After multiple rounds of antibiotics I tested positive for cdiff. I’m still battling the beast, but I can tell you the anxiety and depression have improved. I too have heard my children pray for me. I’ve watched them cry over my condition. It’s hard, but it also does me good to know that they love and care for me. Cdiff is hard on everyone. While my wife makes more money than I do, I have always been the rock of the family. The problem solver! The encourager! This year the family has had to do a lot without me. And while they miss my participation, they have adapted well. The new diet has been the most challenging part.

But you hang in there! Educate yourself as much as you can, because more than not, our doctors are not as up to date as the information you’ll find on this forum. Be ready to object if your doctor suggests something that you feel (or have learned) is not standard or suggested treatment. My prayers are with you. You will beat this, but you need to get comfortable with the idea that it could take some time. I have had to make some hard financial decisions due to all of this. We do what we have to. I’ve learned that my previous goals and ambitions do not have to define my happiness. Wishing you the best!

Roxanne
Regular User

Postby Roxanne » Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:34 pm

I'm so glad I'm not alone! I have one bathroom for guests only, as I'm sure I have spores. House is sterile. I open doors with my shirt/dress in public and other people's home. I flush in public with my foot. I wash and wash and wash my hands. C-Diff can leave you OCD, but then again, it's real and we all know how bad it can be. I think anyone with a bad case of C-Diff will always have it on their minds, it's ingrained in mine.

Rlw1226
Brand New Poster

Postby Rlw1226 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:17 pm

Hey all! I’m 8 months C Diff free. Had it twice and finally cleared it with Dificid. I’m sorry to hear you’re struggling with anxiety. I have really had a hard time with my mental healthy this year, too. I finally went to a therapist and she has been studying the gut-brain connection for 2 years. She said 95% of our serotonin is produced in the stomach and C Diff would destroy so much of our guy that it’s no wonder I am having mental health and anxiety issues. Just wanted to hop on here to see if anyone else has struggled with anxiety not just related to recurrence fears, but life in general? Or depression? Lack of motivation? I took at OAT test today to get some biological answers and am now off all sugar, dairy and gluten. Hoping some drastic changes to my diet to rebuild my flora will make some big differences for me. I am trying to avoid meds for mental health if at all possible

Return to “Free Form Discussion”