Anyone have issues with Dicyclomine

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
Jimmy40
New User

Anyone have issues with Dicyclomine

Postby Jimmy40 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:49 pm

Hello,
I was prescribed Dicyclomine 10 mg for IBS last Friday. I started taking it yesterday. And the side effects are not fun. My doctor instructed me to take them as needed. Each pill is 10 mg. So I have to take 2. Both times I got the weak, slow moving feeling, and drowsy just about an hour after taking them. The second time I woke up with stomach pains as an added bonus. Was wondering if anyone else was prescribed this drug for your IBS or IBS-D? I spoke with my doctor and she recommends that I continue to take them as needed unless side effects continue or get worse.
Also does anyone know of a safe anxiety medicine or something that worked for you? I was prescribed sertraline last year. But it seemed to make my bm worse. My doctor has set up an appointment with a mental health provider for this Thursday. And if He/she decides I need to be on something? I want to be prepared and have maybe suggestions of things that are safe for us post ibs or ibs-d sufferers.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Re: Anyone have issues with Dicyclomine

Postby georgina » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:58 am

Dicyclomine is a anticholinergic drug and should help slowing down your gut and calm down spasm and yes it does make you drowsy , dry mouth , sleepy etc. If you do not do well with this drug , there are several other anticholinergic drugs that you can discuss with your doctor about, like :hyoscyamine , Chlordiazepoxide + Clidinium (Librax) that worked well for me.
Sertraline is a SSRI antidepressant that creates gut disturbance for most people ; in my country ,most docs are using Sertraline for people that are on the C side , but there are other SSRI's that may sit well with you , and of course tricyclic antidepressant are commonly used.

Jimmy40
New User

Postby Jimmy40 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:59 pm

Thank you Georgina! I appreciate the helpful information. I will make sure I bring those others up with my doctor.

Musings
Regular Contributor

Postby Musings » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:03 pm

I am on 10mg twice a day which I started just over a week ago but no side effects as of yet. Maybe try dropping to once a day and see if you handle that better?

I was on sertraline as well but did not see an improvement in my anxiety/depression even after 10 weeks so I switched to Citalopram and have seen better results on that and no affect on my GI system as I have been improving on it.

~Lauren

Jimmy40
New User

Postby Jimmy40 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:53 pm

Thank you Lauren! I did try that. But still get the side effects. I go back to a mental therapist on the 27th. So I will see what they suggest.

Solianne
New User

Postby Solianne » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:48 am

Everything was fine until I began having brain fog type sluggish thinking. So I looked up information on cognitive issues associated with it. What I found was very scary. It, along with overactive bladder meds, are known to cause cognitive decline!

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:31 am

Solianne.
What is your interest in posting on a c.diff support site.
So far you have not mentioned very much about c.diff in your posts.
Are you still suffering?

justme
Long Time Contributor

Postby justme » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:05 pm

Be careful with antispasmodic drugs for IBS. They can cause cognitive issues, especially for those in the elderly category. I take Bentyl, but have limited it to once a day and then only if it is really bad and the prescription is for 4 times daily. Unfortunately, a lot of drugs that help in one area can have bad side effects in some other area. We have to be ever diligent.
Aloha,
Anne

Return to “Free Form Discussion”