Onset Symptoms

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
laylow20
New User

Onset Symptoms

Postby laylow20 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:52 pm

First time poster...

What were your onset symptoms? It has been suspected that I have IBS. I had never really had much D (occassionally), but have had daily symptoms of functional dyspepisa, rectal fullness, flatulence (before low Fodmap), bloating, abdominal pain, and lots of intestinal rumbling/gurgling. It also feels like I have excess fluid in my intestines. Horrible feelings.

Anyway, in the past week, I have had watery diarrhea everyday, sometimes mixed with hard stools and mucus. One day I think I have about 11 trips within 3 hours. Others 5 or 6. Does this sound like a possible c diff infection? I am going to call my gastro tomorrow to get a stool test scheduled. I've never had a stint this long of D.

Oh and likely TMI, but the mucus wrapped around the hard stool "balls" was yellow, very nasty.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Onset Symptoms

Postby beth22 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:55 pm

Hi and welcome to the site. Please read the first forum for posting guidelines and other information. What you describe could be c difficile. If I were you, I would get tested for everything - c difficile, stool culture and ova and parasites. If nothing shows up in the tests, then you and your GI need to see what else could be causing your symptoms.

laylow20
New User

Postby laylow20 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:58 pm

I actually did read it. I thought the "Free Form" allowed me to post anything! Sorry if I am causing any issues. I'm hoping to sleep OK tonight.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:33 am

That is just the standard line we use for introduction to everyone. We used to write a whole long paragraph, but now we direct people to the first forum. It was not specifically for you, just for all new posters so that you know where to go to find the information.

Yes, you posted in the correct place. No problem with your post. Sorry if it confused you.

laylow20
New User

Postby laylow20 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:14 am

Ok thanks. I called my doctor and am waiting for the nurse to call back. I'm worried that it could be c diff, but I have had bowel issues for a little while now. Is it possible to have really mild c diff for like a year and a half before it rears up? Do you have to go outside of the states to do an FMT as the first line of defense?

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:23 am

Hi laylow 20 - Have you recently been on any antibiotics or in a hospital that would have put you at risk for c-diff? Although it happens, it is very rare to get an active c-diff infection without having the usual risk factors of being on an antibiotic or being in a healthcare facility, such as a hospital. The stool tests will eliminate the guess work though. If you do test positive for toxins, an FMT definitely will not be the first line of treatment in the US. I don't know about other countries, but I would think it's unlikely as well. Flagyl, although the harshest med with the lowest cure rate is almost always the first line of treatment. It comes down to the fact that it's the cheapest and does work for many. You can push for Vanco or Dificid first, and maybe you can talk your doctor into it. However, your insurance may not cover it, without trying Flagyl first. I hope you do not have c-diff, but regardless you should get to the bottom of your GI issues. Good luck and keep us posted.

Lisa

laylow20
New User

Postby laylow20 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:02 pm

Thank you so much Lisa for responding. I was on Clindamycin for 7 days after a dental procedure about 10 days ago.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:52 pm

Oh yes, clindamycin will do it to you. That is probably the worst offender for c-diff. That was the culprit for so many on this site. And dentists love prescribing it. It's so frustrating. Well my fingers are crossed for you that you test negative. It is possible to have antibiotic associated diarrhea that isn't a c-diff infection. Usually symptoms will subside after finishing the med. In my opinion, probiotics during, but especially after finishing antibiotics are crucial in that these meds wipe out all of the good gut bacteria. The probiotics can help to restore the gut balance again. Doctors and dentists need to educate us patients more on the risks of antibiotics.

Let us know when you get the results.

MKW
Regular Contributor

Postby MKW » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:30 pm

Hi, hoping this does not turn out to be C Diff for you. But given that you've taken Clindamycin recently, you should definitely be tested. I developed C Diff 3 weeks or so after taking Clindamycin prescribed by my dentist. The onset of my first episode was slow. It took about 5 days for my symptoms to get really bad. I had no idea what was happening to me. I read the warning label on the Clindamycin about developing life-threatening diarrhea while taking it. I didn't know it could happen weeks later.

laylow20
New User

Postby laylow20 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:20 pm

How are you doing now? Have you gotten your health back?

MKW
Regular Contributor

Postby MKW » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:09 pm

laylow20, I had my first episode around 8/1/16, and have had 3 recurrences, have been on meds most of the time, and have an FMT scheduled Thursday. But... most people seem to pull out with a round or two of meds. So I am in the minority unlucky group. Hope you've gotten tested. Regardless, make sure to take probiotics and if you can tolerate it, drink Kefir. My current doctor is a huge advocate of Kefir and says this is the best source of beneficial bacteria.

laylow20
New User

Postby laylow20 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:01 pm

MKW wrote:
> laylow20, I had my first episode around 8/1/16, and have had 3 recurrences,
> have been on meds most of the time, and have an FMT scheduled Thursday.
> But... most people seem to pull out with a round or two of meds. So I am in
> the minority unlucky group. Hope you've gotten tested. Regardless, make
> sure to take probiotics and if you can tolerate it, drink Kefir. My current
> doctor is a huge advocate of Kefir and says this is the best source of
> beneficial bacteria.

Really sorry to hear that. FMT will finally get you the relief you deserve.

laylow20
New User

Postby laylow20 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:10 pm

My test was negative.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:57 am

Glad your test was negative. Are you feeling any better?

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:54 am

Great on the negative test! That must be a big relief for you!

Return to “Free Form Discussion”