About to start 2nd round of Flagyl

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
RyanW
Brand New Poster

About to start 2nd round of Flagyl

Postby RyanW » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:31 pm

Hey Guys,

I'm new to these discussion forums, so i'll try my best.

I tested positive by stool sample on Jan 18 after all the terrible symptoms of Cdiff. My doctor put me on Flagyl 500mg twice daily for 10 days. I finished the first round of Flagyl on Jan 29. Everything seemed to be much better after around 3 days of starting the dosage, till about 6 days after i finished (which was Feb 5th). My stomach started to feel bloated again, and there was more blood back in my stool. I still haven't had any D since starting the medication, but the cramping and some blood/mucus has returned. So i went to the doc on Feb 8 and the doc said i shouldn't get another stool test done this soon, but she did prescribe a second round of Flagyl. My question to you all is, could this be part of a recovery stage or maybe even my bodies response to something i ate or drank? I did wait 5 days after my last Flagyl dose before any alcohol or mac n cheese. I'm torn on starting another round of antibiotics or getting another stool sample done first...... Also, has anyone actually been cured using the Flagyl? I have read many stories about people bragging on the Vanco working after the Flagyl failing to do the trick.

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Re: About to start 2nd round of Flagyl

Postby amyc » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:03 pm

Flagyl is usually prescribed at 500mg, 3 times per day for C diff. It's very normal to re-treat without requiring a test in case of a relapse that soon after finishing treatment. I'd call the doctor to make sure you are on the correct dose, and there is nothing wrong with asking to switch to vancomycin if the flagyl is causing problems in terms of side effects.

RyanW
Brand New Poster

Postby RyanW » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:12 pm

Thank you for your response, Amy. One of my concerns is actually starting another round of Flagyl if I am not positive and am only reacting to certain foods or alcohol. As bad as Cdiff sounds, it seems as if the 2nd round would be a good thing even if i'm not actually "positive". I just didn't know if there would be any negative to taking it besides the possible side affects.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:45 am

Welcome to he site, Ryan. Please read the site's rules of posting in the first forum.

Cm1619
Regular Contributor

Postby Cm1619 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:00 am

I'd always just follow what the doctor orders but I will say that alcohol and cheese would have messed me UP that soon after infection. It took me at least 4-6 months to even look at cheese again and I still don't tolerate small amounts of wine at 10 months post infection and I had a mild case and never relapsed. Healing will take time but we are all different! I'd do what doc says and be very careful introducing foods!

Musings
Regular Contributor

Postby Musings » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:52 am

Blood is a concerning symptom (unless it can be explained by hemorrhoids and/or an anal fissure) that, in my opinion, warrants treatment. Also agree that post treatment, be careful with alcohol and/or dairy. I can handle a glass or so of wine but most dairy will absolutely destroy my GI.

~Lauren

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:32 pm

If you are not seeing a GI dr and it were me, I would make an appointment with a GI. Once I had more than an easily cured bout of c diff I would want a GI on board. That aside, Flagyl is always prescribed first but is really not the medication of choice, especially at that dose, so if I needed a second course, I would request vancomycin or difficid, not another course of Flagyl. Vancomycin is what I took for the second course and what cured me. There is a good reason not to take more meds unless absolutely necessary. They are antibiotics and while they attack c diff bacteria they also wipe out the good bacteria in your gut as well (not the difficid) so you only want to treat if absolutely necessary.
It is not wise to eat as you did immediately after a c diff infection. Your gut needs time to heal. I don't know if that would cause your symptoms but make sure the dr knows. Your symptoms sound like IBS in the absence of watery d except for the blood.
There is no need to test. Treatment or not is done on the basis of symptoms.

Rita

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:39 am

Agree. See a GI.

Return to “Free Form Discussion”