Hellppp

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
Jen345
Brand New Poster

Hellppp

Postby Jen345 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:28 pm

I know I can't receive medical advice, just looking for other's experiences to compare.

Ok, so here's some background....
I'm 26.

I've had c-diff in the past which was absolutely horrible. I had gotten it from being prescribed clyndymcin(spelling?) incorrectly when I didn't actually need it by some undereducated night doctor. What's done is done, anyway, I was in and out of the hospital multiple times. I was put on flagyl for two weeks, but it came back. I was put on flagyl for another two weeks, but it came back again. I was finally put on vancmycin(spelling?) which cleared it up!

Recently I was in the hospital for three days because I ended up with campylobacter(intestinal infection from raw/undercooked chicken). They put me on flagyl and cipro for a week after I left. Two days after being off the antibiotics I had the worst D ever and went 8 times that day. I got so scared because I thought c-diff was back. I didn't go the rest if the day and the next time I went it was more solid but still looked like c-diff. My stomach doctor ordered a stool sample and of course, c-diff was back. This time it it's less intense than before thank goodness, but I've been on flagyl for a week now, and I still have really bad stomach pains and my stool still doesn't look normal. It's very soft and weird looking. After having c-diff multiple times before, I can tell when it's still there. I basically feel like I haven't had any improvement. Needless to say, I've been dealing with these two infections for over a month now. I can't really work, every time I try to go do something I feel immediately exhausted, the flagyl obviously has brought back the awful metal taste and on top of everything else I'm terrified to eat meat again.

I guess my question is should I notice a difference after a week of taking flagyl? Should I be feeling better? Is it a waste of time for me to be taking flagyl considering it didn't work in the past and be taking vanco?
I just want my life back. I'm so sick of this taste in my mouth and feeling so out of it.
Any advice would be awesome! Thanks !

Musings
Regular Contributor

Re: Hellppp

Postby Musings » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:38 pm

If flagyl did not really help you before not sure why the doctor didn't put you either back on vanco or dificid. A guideline I read (https://gi.org/guideline/diagnosis-and- ... d-colitis/) states that if the patient does not see improvement after 4/5 days on flagyl that they should be switched to vanco.

~Lauren

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:43 pm

Hello Jen345 and Welcome to the site. Please read the first thread for all new posters.

So sorry you are dealing with CDIFF again. I would contact the MD and explain with your original case it required Vancomycin and it did work for you and ask to be switched. If they are different MD's who are treating you currently, ask them to contact the last MD to discuss.

Feel better soon!
NanciT

maxny1
Regular Contributor

Postby maxny1 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:27 am

Yah, feel better. I personally would never go on Flagyl for CDI again, because it failed me, whereas Vanco has been successful. Statistics indicate that Vanco has a better cure rate/lower relapse rate.

Best wishes!

Return to “Free Form Discussion”