Cdiff

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
Naneekat
Brand New Poster

Cdiff

Postby Naneekat » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:53 am

I was in hospital and I had taken20 days of oral stron antibiotics then IV until 1/31. On the 20th I got diarrhea with a vengeance., on the 25th I saw doc who gave me culture kit. As of Feb 3 I have not received results. They just tell me it takes time! Is this normal?

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Cdiff

Postby NanciT » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:17 pm

Hello Naneekat
Welcome to the site. Please read the firs thread for all new posters

To answer your question about cultures, it does depend on the tests ordered, where you are and if it was send out tests but often most cultures and sensitivities are reported in 72hours. If you are waiting for result, I would ask the doctor what tests were order and also ask them to call the lab for results if they are still waiting. If your concern is about CDIFF, it is not a culture. Most do the PCR test and if done in a hospital can often be reported in a day. If done outside the hospital it can take a few days.

Do you still have the diarrhea? Some can get antibiotic induced diarrhea and NOT have CDIFF If your symptoms are persistent and your concern is CDIFF, ask what type of test was done for it. If you are dealing with a Primary MD and not a GI, I would ask for one. I also want to add if you were inpatient, you have a right to get all of your medical records from the hospital and all of your lab results will be there.

Hope this helps
NanciT

Naneekat
Brand New Poster

Postby Naneekat » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:38 pm

Thank you for replying. Indeed, I am still waiting. In my case, the day I was discharged from hospital with home health to supply the IV antibiotics to continue over the next 11 days. The nurse set up the first dose, and erroneously administered it! It instructed to infuse at 200, over 30 mins. Guess she was in a hurry to go elsewhere cause she ran it through me in 10 minutes! I felt my stomach rolling, and then the onset of diarrhea began! 15 episodes from 2:30 till 5 am! I don't know if it was going to happen anyway, and that error set it off or what? My primary doc is the one who ordered the stool tests and also prescribed Flagyl for 7 days. He later did refer me to my GI doc. But after 16 days of dealing with it, finally, a day without it!!!! So I am of the opinion it was caused from the multiple strong antibiotics I was given to kill the superbug bacterial pseudomonas aeruginosa! It's my 3rd time of having it too over the past 5 years!

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:59 am

Agree with Nanci , it could just be antibiotic associated diarrhea., do not rush into Cdiff treatment until you have your stool test results.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:11 pm

Naneekat,
What antibiotic are they giving you by IV?

Return to “Free Form Discussion”