Dog having Symptoms

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
maxny1
Regular Contributor

Dog having Symptoms

Postby maxny1 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:21 pm

Arg, family Dog just started having frequent watery, malodorous D past 12 hours...

I read the old posts and realize it could be anything, we'll get him tested if it persists, but oh lord if that smell wasn't C Diff...

I really would be surprised though. I havent had D or frequent BM's in almost a month.

I thought incubation period was 1 week (dog has been around me just 8 days, he hasn't been on ABX, and one study I found had only a 26% of dogs living with CDI patients became asymptomatic carriers and none out of 15 pets followed actually became infected: http://www.mdmag.com/medical-news/blame ... infections

So this would be winning some (bad) long odds if he's got it...

I am super good about washing hands but it wasn't the best situation in the airplane with the low water flow. Things were so hectic reuniting with the family at airport last week, the dog may have licked me before I did a thorough post-airplane-bathroom hand wash...

Anyway I'll post updates, let's hope it's just something he ate!

Bobbie
Administrator

Re: Dog having Symptoms

Postby Bobbie » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:23 am

Animals can have c diff. See viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3564#p20478. Believe thy are usually put on Flagyl.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:10 am

My dog has had D too , chills , vomiting and , of course i immediately thought that he has Cdiff but it was not Cdiff , it was pancreatitis . Where i live , we have tests for animals for Cdiff , you should have them there too.

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:08 am

Flagyl is great for dogs with D, so I'd just take the poor pooch to the vet and start treating. Dogs get clostridium D from the soil much more than humans do, so it could be from you but more likely poor guy just got into it somewhere else. Dogs don't seem bothered by flagyl side effects as often as humans are either, or they just don't complain about it :).

Musings
Regular Contributor

Postby Musings » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:24 pm

Dogs can have GI upset for many different reasons - c.diff, parvo, other parasites, pancreatitis, etc. Best bet is to bring him to the vet have a stool test run, and go from there. Flagyl is used to treat c. diff and other parasites in dogs and they generally tolerate it much better than people with less side effects.

maxny1
Regular Contributor

Postby maxny1 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:13 pm

Thanks all. It seems to have cleared up today, thank goodness, but we'll keep an eye on it.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:34 pm

Dogs are scavengers and will often eat anything.

Our last dog had pancreatitis and survived.

Return to “Free Form Discussion”