Anal Fissure

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
Acres
Regular Contributor

Anal Fissure

Postby Acres » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:15 pm

Hi,
It has been almost 1 year since my experience began. I still have mild IBS, some pain, but in much better shape....

My new issue is an anal Fissure. Pain (stabbing) and blood during bathroom visits if the stool is on the big side.. My GI told me it is from all the gut activity and my emotional stress. He suggested the holistic approach first. The medical cream prescribed causes headaches and I already get very bad ones....

Going to start coconut oil applications and warm bathing with epsom salts today....

Does anyone have some experience with this post c diff infection ? Could not even imagine dealing with it during c diff....

Nancy1
Administrator

Re: Anal Fissure

Postby Nancy1 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:15 pm

I had an anal fissure after cdiff. I treated it with suppositories that I found online called Neohealar. This was 10 years ago so not sure if they are still available.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:37 pm

I've had them too. Just keep the area lubricated. Even something like preparation H or Vaseline will help. Also try not to get C. Make sure you drink enough and eat enough foods with fiber.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:28 pm

Hi Scott,
Sorry you have this problem now but it's good to hear from you and know that you are c diff free and basically doing well.
Please consider posting in "Success Stories" when you are ready. You overcame your long struggle!

Happy New Year,
Rita

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:56 am

Preparation H is very good ointement for anal fissures , make sure you wash after every BM with warm water and apply ointement at least three times per day . Hope the fissure is not big because if it's bg you might need a small surgery.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:52 am

I had a rectal fissure when I was in my early 20s (i.e., a long time ago). Treatments may have evolved since then. I needed surgery to fix mine; it wasn't a small surgery, though it wasn't major either. But that was back in the day when people were often hospitalized for weeks to rest and relax, where one's medical team could attentively oversee care. Seems like a distant land compared with the hospital experience of today. Today it would likely be an outpatient procedure. What your GI is telling you about emotional stress contributing, is, IMO, inaccurate. If it were me, I'd go to a colorectal surgeon for an opinion on whether the fissure could heal on its own, with conservative measures as others have suggested. A good surgeon won't recommend surgery if it's unnecessary and may also have some useful conservative measures to propose.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

Acres
Regular Contributor

Postby Acres » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:37 pm

Hi,
Went back to my GI today - took another look. He said it is a small fissure and he prescribed Nifedipine cream. He said it is a blood pressure medicine that also helps to heal fissures. It will relax the muscles and increase blood flow.

I am using Preparation H cream w/aloe, coconut oil and will try Manuka Honey as well (thank you NanciT)

I will pick up the prescription, but wait to see if the other holistic applications work 1st.

I always ask for the complete set of options....My GI gave me the scoop on my options - Holistic, the prescription. If they do not heal it, then off to the surgeon for possible botox injections, and last case, the surgery.....

Yes ! I beat C diff !!!!! - It did leave me with some reminders of the fun we had together (I lost a lot of weight. I am very thin, mild ibs, just pain and food intolerances)

Thank you all, Scott

justme
Long Time Contributor

Postby justme » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:20 pm

I had surgery on mine about a year before C. Diff. The surgery was out-patient and quick. Recovery was awful and pretty long lasting (but nothing like C.Diff). I used a Sitz bath with warm water several times a day and used a cushion to sit on. If it can be a real pain in the a**! If you can shrink it and control it without surgery, that would be a better choice. Good luck (believe me, I feel your pain!).
Aloha,
Anne

Return to “Free Form Discussion”