flu or worse?

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
ashtontw
Regular Contributor

flu or worse?

Postby ashtontw » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:54 am

Hi everyone!

Haven't been on here in awhile. I'm over a month since my FMT and I've been doing really well in the stomach department. Tolerating all kinds of foods and very, very slowly gaining weight back.

Four days ago now, I came down with a severe sore throat, sore ears, muscle aches, fever, the whole nine. It's been going around badly here where I live.

I went to my PCP as girls that I work with have had strep and a lot of them have been on antibiotics. Got a strep test, and it was negative. No other throat cultures have been taken.

My super sore throat and ears has continued and I'm now coughing up and sneezing out green mucus constantly - which is making me panic that it's something bacterial. I don't have any sinus pressure, the glands under my jaw/throat are super swollen and sore still. Also been having D the last couple days, which of course puts me into a panic. I still have a fever (99.8-100 range) and have been taking Tylenol to help. My PCP told me just to drink lots and lots of fluids and to rest. I'm miserable!

I researched a bit online and some sites say that green mucus can still be viral. Does anyone on here know this to be true? I can't imagine having to take an antibiotic so soon after my FMT.

I had to put my wisdom teeth surgery off three weeks ago because I was sick. My rescheduled surgery is on this coming Wednesday, and I'm gonna be so upset if I have to reschedule it again. I wanted to save my "might need antibiotic" card for that surgery, not for whatever this illness is!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: flu or worse?

Postby beth22 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:02 pm

Yes, green mucus can be viral or bacterial. If you are still having it next week with the fevers, you can ask the doctor to order a sputum culture. I have had that done before and it has come up negative when it was a virus and positive for whatever bacteria it was when positive. If it is positive, they usually run a sensitivity test to see what antibiotic will treat it.

ashtontw
Regular Contributor

Re: flu or worse?

Postby ashtontw » Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:51 pm

Thanks Beth! I think I may be getting a tiny bit better today. Everything is coming out...if that makes sense and sorry if that's totally gross. Drinking water, Gatorade, and not moving from bed. I guess I need to call the oral surgeon tomorrow and let them know I'm sick again and gauge if I should still plan for surgery on Wednesday or not. What a mess! I hope you had a great NYE and New Years Day...hoping that this year will be a year of cures, change and good health for those going through C Diff.

Return to “Free Form Discussion”