Successful Abx use after cdiff?

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
Momof3
New User

Successful Abx use after cdiff?

Postby Momof3 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:12 pm

Hey friends! I was here a lot the summer of 2015 with cdiff after taking clendamyacin for mastitis when I had baby #3. I took my last med in sept of 2015 and have been cdiff free since although IBS had me thinking I'd relapsed a few times between them and now. Thank God for a sweet Dr who obliged with tests that came back negative lol.

I found out today I have strep (I have a 4,2 and 1 year old and managed to not get it when it went around the fam 2 months ago). I knew it was too good to be true lol. I've been prescribed Penacillin for the strep and have loads of probiotics and kombucha ready to take while I'm on Abx (allergic to milk so yogurt and kefir are out) and I'm cutting out sugar and gluten in hopes of not feeding any bacteria that may be lurking! I have one in diapers still so I already use gloves during changes.

I was just hoping to hear a few of you who have had cdiff, recovered and taken an antibiotic again successfully without relapsing! Anyone have a light for me haha!

My pcp wants to see me next week just to follow up in case it starts to go south. I'm surprised at how clam I've been since finding out considering my anxiety.

roy
Administrator

Re: Successful Abx use after cdiff?

Postby roy » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:29 pm

If you were in the UK it's very unlikely you would be given an antibiotic for strep.
Antibiotics stop you being infectious within one day but knock less than 24 hours off the actual illness, and even then it's only if they are taken at the onset of symptoms

We only get antibiotics if we are vulnerable to complications.

Do you really want to take antibiotics when their main reason is to stop you spreading it to someone else?

There is of course a tiny possibility that strep can be serious but the risk of c.diff is much higher.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:32 pm

What kind of penicillin were you prescribed? Pen VK is much milder than either amoxicillin or ampicillin. Also, I think a Z pak would work against strep. You could ask your doctor about it unless you are allergic to erythromycin. Doxycycline is a lesser offending antibiotic, but I don't know if it works against strep.

Momof3
New User

Postby Momof3 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:06 pm

He gave me pen vk he also said I had the option to not take them and "ride it out" but with 3 little kids in the house I don't necessarily want to risk passing this around for months either.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:20 am

Pen VK is not as bad as some of the others. I would make sure to take probiotics during your treatment and for a few weeks afterwards. Space them apart from the antibiotic though, as it will kill the good bacteria too.

Momof3
New User

Postby Momof3 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:59 pm

Well friends - I fear I may have flown too close to the sun. :(

I have been taking extra probiotics cut out sugar while I was on Abx and for the week after finishing and really have felt fine until this morning.

Finished the Pen VK Abx 10 days ago and woke up this morning with severe D. My dr had sent me home with a kit when I got strep as a "just in case" so I took a sample in the minute they opened the doors. I'm praying it's just a tummy virus but I'm mentally already thinking about calling my GI to give him a heads up so I can figure out now if I should do vanco or dificid if/ when results come in.

I'm praying it's just some virus as it's been 6 hours and of the 14 trips most were in the 1st hour and I then have had a few hour stretches and this last one was 3 hours between trips. Ugh. Prayers, good vibes whatever you got I'll take em

denizz
Regular User

Postby denizz » Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:30 pm

many has done well with pen vk ..it can be a stomach bug ...

Momof3
New User

Postby Momof3 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:35 pm

Stool sample came back negative yay!! ive just never had a virus hit me that intensely. My c diff came on slowly in that the bathroom trips increased in frequency over a 5 day period and this bug (or whatever it was) was like when I had full blown day five cdiff - I was sure it was back.

Man, a few years ago something like a tummy virus would have never had me even thinking about running a stool sample to my dr.

Return to “Free Form Discussion”