Newly diagnosed, confused

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
Wendye3
New User

Newly diagnosed, confused

Postby Wendye3 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:03 pm

Hello everyone. I was diagnosed with CDiff in August after taking augmentin( sp) that I knew I shouldn't take because I have Crohn's disease. I just noticed more urgency and looser stools thought maybe it was a flare took the test and it came back positive. I had very mild diarrhea only a couple times a day no cramps no fever thank God and I was fine up until December 6 I started having urgency and just felt something wasn't right so I took another test which came back positive. It was almost 90 days since I finished the Vanco treatment I am confused whether it's a relapse reinfection it's mild again I didn't have a weird smell for me I had bm all over the place so I wasn't quite sure but I don't understand the difference between relapse and reinfection they're treating me with the same course of Vanco 125 four times a day for 10 daysI scrub my house with bleach I threw away a lot of things I don't understand unless it just never went away if anyone can enlighten me appreciated my doctors are OK but I don't know what to do if it comes back again

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Newly diagnosed, confused

Postby NanciT » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:22 pm

Hello Windye3 and Welcome to the site Please read the first thread for all new posters

90 days is quite some time to pass, there is no set time when one can relapse but it does sound more like a reinfection. When you have an underlying condition like Crohn's disease, it does complicate things. It's difficult to determine the symptoms you are experiencing. I think you really need to sit down with your GI and get a clear picture of what they think. If it were me, I would do the same and clean everything the best I can.

It sound like you originally had a mild case but I think the other thing to consider is how well the Crohns has been controlled.

Sorry for the lack of information, when we have posters with an illness like Crohns, it's difficult to determine what is going on.
Hopefully , this round of Vanco will take care of it for you! Hope you feel better soon
NanciT

Wendye3
New User

Postby Wendye3 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:07 pm

Yes that's why I didn't think it was C DIffbecause it was extremely mild. And I didn't retest when I started have an initial symptoms. The only question I forgot to ask is about testing.i've also heard people can be a carrier I was wondering how do they test for that how do you know that you're not a carrier and just have an IBD symptoms is there a test for that for being a carrier or is there a time you can test while you're on the Vanco if it still positive and that would mean your carrier. Like the cdiffsmell I didn't have anything until I started the Vanco after about two days. I didn't have it before I took the Vanco I don't understand this is a very complicated condition I guess

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:24 am

It is complicated. Everyone has different symptoms. I would find out what type of test was done.
I had D 4 times in the am only although I had always had vomiting each time I relapsed also and was very sick and weak, unable to eat etc. Never had any smell.
You can be a carrier and not have active CDIFF, this is why I would really talk to the GI about this and find out what type of test was done. With the history of Crohns not sure what other treatments they have you on. It can make it far more complicated than someone dealing with just the one illness.

Return to “Free Form Discussion”