Gluten intolerance

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
skizamii
Contributor

Gluten intolerance

Postby skizamii » Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:45 pm

Does anyone here have gluten intolerance post cdiff? I never had a problem with it, I've been tested several yimes and don't have true celiac, but U of Michigan had me go gluten free in may of 2015. I've always just assumed it wasn't really a problem and I could still eat it once and awhile. Last night I had gluten at a Christmas party and woke up with flu like symptoms, nausea, chills, and a lot of pain. I thought i was coming down with stomach flu, but no vomiting. Starting to wonder....? When I was tested for celiac I was not eating gluten, which I guess can lead to inaccurate tests.

roy
Administrator

Re: Gluten intolerance

Postby roy » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:15 pm

Gluten intolerance is a lot different to celiac!
Google it.

If gluten seems to triger IBS it's best to avoid it.

And your correct
If you cut out gluten before the test it comes back negative.
Your Dr should have told you to eat your normal diet including gluten products.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:20 pm

After c-diff, I had terrible flu-like symptoms along with the PI-IBS. My doctor suggested that I eliminate gluten for 4-6 weeks to see if it helped any. After just a couple of weeks, I started to see significant improvement. The flu-like symptoms dissipated, and I felt like the gluten-free diet was working. I stayed gluten free for a long time after. I have added back gluten since, and it doesn't seem to bother me anymore. My doctor said that the blood tests that they do for celiac really can't give an accurate diagnosis. She said that only an endoscopy can diagnose for celiac for certain. I am not sure if other doctors say this as well, but this is what mine said. It can't hurt to go gluten free to see if it helps.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:42 am

I found that the things I cut out when I had c diff are the ones I had trouble with before. I never cut out red meat or any meats, gluten and bread products. I cut out fruits and vegetables and had terrible problems getting readjusted to them. I did stop dairy, but I was definitely having problems with that and as soon as I did, those symptoms subsided. I still don't really eat it today - just butter and things that contain cooked milk. Don't have yogurt, sour cream or milk. If you were at a party you probably ate all sorts of things, so it could also be something else or just a change in your diet. If you suspect gluten, then when you feel better, try a small piece of bread or something and see what happens.

Tsc1964
Regular Contributor

Postby Tsc1964 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:53 am

I also never had trouble with gluten til cdiff or any food intokerance other than dairy. Now i feel same as stated above

Return to “Free Form Discussion”