IBS Question

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
Cm1619
Regular Contributor

IBS Question

Postby Cm1619 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:26 am

Hello group!

I have an IBS related question. Can IBS be straight liquid with urgency? I suffer from IBS-D but it's usually soft and formed rather than liquid. I woke at 5am to about 4 episode of just straight WD. I feel completely fine so I don't feel it's a bug. Also, I'm 8 months out from my C diff infection and I never relapsed. So this is pretty much impossible to be a relapse, correct? Oh please convince me this isn't a relapse! I'm super nervous bc I'm going on a trip 'this weekend and leaving my toddler for the first time ever. But the liquid really made me think I should cancel. Help!

Cm1619
Regular Contributor

Re: IBS Question

Postby Cm1619 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:49 am

I'm still going and now it's just clear liquid. Is it pointless to request a c diff test this far out from my first infection??

Musings
Regular Contributor

Postby Musings » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:04 am

I would call your doctor/GI. That sounds like something more than IBS in my opinion.

Cm1619
Regular Contributor

Postby Cm1619 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:14 am

Yea I think it might be a bug. Not sure if I'm going to make the call yet to a doctor but I'm pretty sure we are canceling our trip bc it's a long car ride :(

It's not possible that it's a relapse though this far out?? It's been 8 months!

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:17 am

If it continues longer than a day go to your doctor.
It's possible it's a relapse, a reinfection or just a simple tummy bug.
If it's pure water and getting worse you need medical advice.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:44 am

Sounds like a bug to me. 8 months out is unlikely to relapse but Cdiff can be tricky and unpredictable. You should submit a stool sample for Cdiff and a culture for other pathogens.

Cm1619
Regular Contributor

Postby Cm1619 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:07 pm

Thank you everyone. I'm still going a lot. It's been over 10 times. Now it is nothing but mucous but feels like WD when I'm going. Made an appointment for noon with my regular doctor. The smell brought back memories of c diff. I cannot believe I might be relapsing after 8 months. Now I will never relax if that's the case. I hate this illness!!

Cm1619
Regular Contributor

Postby Cm1619 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:22 pm

Alright picked up the multiple stool samples and now I can't go. Figures. I decided to go out of town anyway. After she examined me and took vitals and all that she said I seemed fine enough to go and she was only ordering the tests to ease my mind and it's protocol to test with that much WD with a c diff history. I suppose a bug then. She also told me it is possible to relapse as far as 8 months out! Is there never a safe zone to feel it won't come back????? Geez!!!!

amg
Regular Contributor

Postby amg » Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:26 pm

Oh, you poor thing.

Could it be stress related, since you're going on your first trip ever without your toddler?
Fingers crossed it's not a relapse this far out! That stresses me out, too, thinking of my daughter relapsing after 8 months. Geez is right! I hope you feel better and can enjoy your trip and especially that it's not c diff.

Cm1619
Regular Contributor

Postby Cm1619 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:04 pm

Well the D stopped all together by about 11am. I couldn't even submit a c diff sample bc I couldn't go again. So far nothing but I still feel bad. I feel maybe I have a slight tummy bug that was made worse by being stressed about leaving my daughter like you said amg. I do hope I don't wake in the middle of the night or tomorrow again with more D.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:08 pm

It could be a virus. My mom is a nursing home facility and they quarantined the whole place because of norovirus outbreak. Usually it causes vomiting, but in her case only D. It was confirmed on a culture for viruses by the health dept. If it is a virus, then you should be ok in a few days. If it comes back, get the test.

Cm1619
Regular Contributor

Postby Cm1619 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:17 pm

Beth that sounds awful. Many years ago I worked in a nursing home and I remember that virus constantly going around. Somehow I only got it once. Those were my pre- C diff days so I was so much healthier then. Now I'd probably pick up every single germ possible! Hope she feels better soon. I'll see how tomorrow goes. I still have a lot of gurgling and I feel like it's not completely over and that tomorrow morning should be another bout. I won't be able to turn a sample in until Monday anyway since I decided to go out of town. Of course, if it gets really bad there's an ER about 45 min away so I'm just praying it doesn't come to that!!

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:01 am

Good luck on your trip. I traveled a lot to the U.K. and back with IBS and survived.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:39 am

Take some Pepto Bismol with you just in case. If it is c difficile, it won't help much, but it should not hurt either. If it is a bug or IBS, it usually helps.

Cm1619
Regular Contributor

Postby Cm1619 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:46 am

Good idea Beth-thank you!! I happen to always keep a few Pepto chewable tablets in my purse so I'll keep that in mind. It's now morning and no D but I feel very run down and just a little flu-like. Hoping that means it's just a bug. I think the scariest thing to me is having a relapse that far out without antibiotic use. I would never be able to relax! I always assumed it was impossible once you reached 6 months unless you did something like take antibiotics or PPIs. Has there ever been anyone in this group to relapse like that after so long???

Return to “Free Form Discussion”