Don't trust positive dip stick to diagnose UTI

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
smb5118
Brand New Poster

Don't trust positive dip stick to diagnose UTI

Postby smb5118 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:44 pm

I just wanted to post this after lessons learned after over treatment for a UTI which likely caused my Cdiff

The first time last year I was diagnosed with a UTI it was no surprise as most of the symptoms were there (except burning). The doctor did the dip stick and it was positive. A day later the lab confirmed a UTI. They prescribed Macrobid and it worked right away.

About a week later I was out of town and thought the UTI was coming back due to frequency and discomfort. I went to an urgent care. The dip stick showed bacteria so they gave me an antibiotic shot and sent me off with Cipro. Three days later the urgent care told me that the test sent to the lab came back negative for a UTI. I stopped taking the antibiotics. Three days later I developed a fever with diarrhea. I assumed the UTI was back and went to the ER because I felt so ill. And there it began. Two hours later they told me I had Cdiff which I knew nothing about. I was in the hospital for 2 days. Fortunately they caught it early and it cleared up quickly.

The part that upsets me the most is that my UTI was completely cured by Macrobid the first time. I didn't need an antibiotic shot and Cipro because the UTI didn't recur. It was post UTI irritation which is apparently very common. Bottom line is try to get a conclusive UTI diagnosis if you can. it takes about a day. The lab test can also determine the type of bacteria that caused the UTI and the most effective antibiotic treatment. If possible try to wait it out for 24 hours by drinking pure cranberry juice to acidify the urine, take Uristat and Advil.
Last edited by smb5118 on Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

roy
Administrator

Re: False Positive UTI Results and Importance of Def. Diagno

Postby roy » Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:17 pm

Did you have a stool test?
C.diff can not be diagnosed with a urine test!

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: False Positive UTI Results and Importance of Def. Diagno

Postby NanciT » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:13 pm

I was confused a bit by your post, I also did not see where you mentioned you tested positive for CDIFF. It sounds like you were treated with Vanco which can cause bladder irritation. I have written about it on the site due to the issues I had post Vanco.
We advise all posters to get culture and sensitivities done if they think they have a UTI. With any history of CDIFF, we try various things other than the antibiotics unless the culture is positive.
The OTC urine test do not work well and often give false positives. I also advise caution with any OTC medication like uristat. Although I had used it in the past, It made me very ill post CDIFF along with other posters.

Hope you are well on your way to recovery and feeling better
NanciT

Return to “Free Form Discussion”