Bad Smell and Taste in bottled water

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
beth22
Long Time Contributor

Bad Smell and Taste in bottled water

Postby beth22 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:13 am

I am wondering if any of you have had experience with bottled water tasting bad - musty and having a very bad odor. This morning, I opened a new one gallon of water. It was sealed and there were no leaks and the expiration date is not until 2018. I had poured some of it in my hot tea to cool it down and could not taste anything funny, but when I drank a little to take my blood pressure pill, it tasted really bad. I had already had the tea, but did not drink more of the water. I held the bottle up to the light to see if there was anything floating or murky and there was not. The smell was pretty awful though.

I went to work as usual and have not had D yet. I also called the number on the bottle and they told me that plastic is porous and can absorb odors from wherever it is stored. I have never heard of this and don't know if they are just feeding me a line. I checked online and there are no recalls. Anyway, I'm still alive and hopefully won't get any type of bacteria from this, but I wondered if anyone else has ever experienced this, as I never have.

Nancy1
Administrator

Re: Bad Smell and Taste in bottled water

Postby Nancy1 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:03 pm

This is probably not relevant, but our water supplier, the East Bay Municipal Utility District, just changed its water supply location. They did this because of construction at a water supply plant. They have warned all customers that our water may taste musty or strange or generally "off" while they are using this new source. I actually haven't noticed any change. But I suppose your bottled water supplier could possibly be using some weird new source?

I have never heard of plastic being porous and absorbing odors from where it is stored. We store bottled water for years in our garage, so we have some in the event of an earthquake, and I have never noticed it getting any kind of weird smell or taste.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:28 pm

I find it hilarious that the bottled water company's brag that their water filters through volcanic rocks for millions of years!
Then the put a sell by date on the bottle:-))

code3rn
Regular Contributor

Postby code3rn » Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:44 pm

I personally think Alhambra water tastes terrible! Maybe it was a bad batch?

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:30 pm

I would change my brand of bottled water. Hope you don't have a reaction. - fingers crossed you don't.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:29 pm

I've been using it for years and never had an issue. It was just that one bottle and unfortunately I had put it into the tea and had it before I realized it when I drank it straight. My stomach is a bit off today, but I have had a really stressful week, plus used some estrogen cream, which does it too. My SIL, who teaches science, said that plastic is indeed porous. I opened a new bottle yesterday and it was fine. Just my luck. I saw that incubation for e-coli is 3 - 4 days. Another company had a recall with that, but not the one I use. It never ends....

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:14 pm

Bottled water had a recall for E. coli? I never heard about that, really weird.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:40 am

Yes, some brands in Pennsylvania. I thought it strange too. Anyway, will see what happens in the next few days. I's been one stressful event after another for the last two weeks. Thankfully, school is closed all of next week, so I can rest up a bit.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:49 am

I'm sure you will be ok, Beth. Knowing that you consumed it, will make your mind play tricks on you. I have no idea if it's true or not, but my thinking is that if you put the water in hot tea, maybe if there was any bacteria in it, it would be killed off by the hot tea? Just a thought. I just posted in our moderator thread, that I am going through a somewhat similar experience, except what I consumed, was actually recalled. On Friday night, our neighbors were over and I opened up a Sabra Hummus to have with pretzels. We all ate it, even the kids! Then last night, we went to a friends house who also had the Sabra Hummus. We ate it again. This morning, I woke up and read an article that a whole list of Sabra products were recalled for listeria. Low and behold, my hummus and my friend's hummus were both on the list. So, of course my mind starts to freak out a bit. I am hoping that nobody gets sick. It was reported that the listeria was detected in the manufacturing plant. Stuff like this can really get your mind going though.

Hoping that you won't have any effects from the water. And, I hope you get to relax some on your days off this week!
Lisa

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:39 pm

That's terrible, Lisa. Keep an eye on it. Hopefully, you won't have any effects and they are just doing the recall as a precaution. Yes, the mind can definitely play tricks on you too. To top everything, I strained my lower back yesterday - probably lifting grocery bags and I can hardly walk. Even if I lay down, it hurts. I had the back pain a week ago, but it only lasted a day and was not as bad. I guess I re-injured it. It just seems like it is one thing after another and I can't seem to catch a break in between.

I hope you and your family are all ok. I'm so tired of recalls on foodborne illnesses. There are too many these days.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:53 pm

I eat Sabra hummus all the time. Hope you and your friends are OK, Lisa.

Same to you, Beth.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:15 pm

So far so good. Everybody is ok from the hummus! I'm sure most of the time the recalls are more precautionary, and chances of actually ingesting contaminated food is slim. Or, that's what I'm telling myself anyway. But, nobody likes to know that they ate a food that was recalled. LOL

Beth - I'm so sorry to hear about your back. That is terrible. It has been one thing after another for you. Can you take anything to help with the pain? Back pain is the worst! Hopefully it will start to feel better in a day or so. Never a dull moment. I hope you are feeling better for Thanksgiving and can enjoy your days off from school.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:57 pm

Glad you did not have any ill effects from the hummus, Lisa. Keep an eye out though because listeria has a long incubation period. I am ok from the water so far, but the facility where my mom is a resident is under quarantine now for a GI illness that is going around. It is not c difficile I am told, but most likely a virus. So, I can't see my mom, although under the circumstances, I would not go anyway. I was there yesterday and the day before, however, so hopefully, I will not be sick for Thanksgiving. I don't think they know what it is - hope it is not norovirus.

Anyway, like you said, if it is not one thing, it is another. Back was better yesterday, but not so good today. At least I don't have to work this week.

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:55 pm

Norovirus has a short incubation period, so if that's what hit your mom's place you would probably be sick already if you'd contacted it. That's the only good thing about norovirus.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:11 am

Beth,
Maybe the vacation will help. Feel better. Sorry about your mom's situation. Like you need something to worry about.

Return to “Free Form Discussion”