Topical antibiotic

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
Acres
Regular Contributor

Topical antibiotic

Postby Acres » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:21 pm

Hi,
I was feeling decent for a while. Then my wife discovered a lump on my butt which was removed and needed 2 layers of stiches. The cyst was benign. I was told to use Mupirocin (topical antibiotic on the stiches). I was told it is a narrow spectrum with no chance of instigating a relapse blah blah blah....
I still have aches and pains everyday, heating pad sure helps, but after starting the goo I started to get rumbling, gas, urge to go, cramps, a higher level of pain etc... My mind is spinning in anxiety... Also, that strange taste and nasal odor has returned. My wife says it smells like metal....Went to my GI and had a scan which reminded me about the diverticulitis in my ascending colon which is inflamed....I have extreme anxiety issues, so maybe I am freaking myself out being worried about a cancerous cyst and the diverticuitis.....
My questions are can the topical cause gut issues and if I need an antibiotic for the Diverticulitis am I doomed for a relapse ?
Scott

Cm1619
Regular Contributor

Re: Topical antibiotic

Postby Cm1619 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:59 pm

I suspect that I got C diff from a topical cream but it was Clindamycin. I know that one is a high offender. I wasn't on any other oral antibiotic and seemed to have gotten C diff out of no where.

Acres
Regular Contributor

Postby Acres » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:18 pm

Hi,
I acquired c diff from oral Clindamycin....
Looked online on some medical sites and all they state about Mupiricin is that "any antibiotic can cause c diff"....
Dermatologist says no way can it cause a relapse. He said "compleletly different mechanism at work with topical ointment"....
Been using it for several days, the last few days the aforementioned up tick in discomfort, but stools still the usual....
Might be anxiety in overdrive (crazy to hope for anxiety instead of c diff)....
I wonder how much topical gets into our internal system.....
Scott

Cm1619
Regular Contributor

Postby Cm1619 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:10 pm

I bet it's your nerves bc you're expecting it to affect your gut.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:35 pm

I had to use Mupirocin for about 10 days 4 x per day at first for an infected biopsy on my hand. I did not relapse nor get GI symptoms. A little of that stuff goes a long way. I just put a small amount on.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:09 pm

Talk with your GI about the diverticulitis. That is where it all started for me and CDIFF. Now, although my scan was negative I still have symptoms sometimes and I go on clear liquids for 3 days which helps me a great deal.
Hope you feel better soon!
NanciT

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:24 pm

My dad has diverticulosis and has had diverticulitis a few times, and they treat him with just flagyl, and it's always worked. My mom is a retired nurse, so I think she told his GI to try just flagyl instead of the flagyl+ Cipro regimen they always suggest.

Return to “Free Form Discussion”