for those with anxiety/PTSD

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
tonia
Regular Contributor

for those with anxiety/PTSD

Postby tonia » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:28 am

I just wanted to share a conversation I had with the psych I am still seeing because of this crap. It might help some of you who are struggling with family members who do not understand your fears.

I explained to him that for people who have a fear of dogs, they can see a dog and can try to walk away from any situation involving dogs that would cause them to panic. It is a visible thing and you can avoid it. When you have PTSD/anxiety from a bacteria, you cant see it. You do not have a "way out" to be able to avoid what is causing your fear. It is a different ball game. He completely agreed and felt it was a very good analogy and good way to explain.

Just hoping this might help some of you help your families understand some of the "weird" quirks and fears some of us have been left with.

On the upside, to give some hope, my anxiety is starting to ease. It is not gone yet, and might never be, but I am beginning to function a bit more normal and with time, I know I will once again be the fun loving, joker that I was. Please hang in there. Be patient with yourself, and dont beat yourself up for doing whatever it is you need to do that makes you feel "safe". There will come a day when you will start to forget a little bit and then each day will get easier.

Bobbie
Administrator

Re: for those with anxiety/PTSD

Postby Bobbie » Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:38 pm

Great description. Glad you are doing better.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:49 pm

Thanks for posting, Tonia. Glad you are doing better. Hopefully one day soon someone will figure out how to eradicate the spores and that will be the answer to all our prayers!

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:17 am

Glad you are handling anxiety better .

Ashley20
Regular Contributor

Postby Ashley20 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:33 am

That is a perfect way to describe the fear. My therapist asked me once if i could actually see the spores(im guessing she thought i was really crazy and now seeing things) i told her, "No! I wish i could see them but they are invisible to the naked eye...that's what makes it so scary!" She gave me a blank look and changed the subject...no one who has not dealt with cdiff and the fear of the spores could ever understand. I'm so happy to hear you are doing better Tonia...hugs!

Return to “Free Form Discussion”