Pcr test

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
jds0870
Regular Contributor

Pcr test

Postby jds0870 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:25 pm

So my text came back negative last Friday. But I'm still have d issues. Some other unexpected news I found out is that I'm pregnant. So I don't know if it's just those hormones causing my bowels to be soft and d but I'm considering retesting. It was a Pcr but before my fmts I had a false negative Pcr one time. I'm trying not to freak I'm almost a year out on December 16th. I did have abx use in July for surgery but it was just during surgery. And today my 7 year old has had watery d 3 times. I know the chances of her having c diff is probably not the case but I get so scared for her at just the thought. No matter how much I remind her to wash her hands well...she is only 7. So I guess after my rant has anyone who has had c diff been pregnant after being negative and it caused D for them. I don't feel sick otherwise...some mild stomach rumbling and pains here and there but I know from being pregnant twice before those pains are normal. And please pray for my baby I know it's probably a tummy bug but I teared up thinking about it. Probably the hormones but I always get scared especially since I have been having D issues lately. Ugh

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Pcr test

Postby beth22 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:06 pm

If your PCR was negative, you probably don't have c difficile. I have had mild symptoms for 4 months with positive PCR tests. Apparently the hospital figured out just how sensitive the PCR is and they sent my sample that was positive for EIA testing and that was negative, so they concluded that I am a carrier, but do not have active c difficile. The PCR is very sensitive and I'm sure it would have picked up the c diff unless you had been on a med to treat c diff like vanco.

If you are concerned and since you are pregnant, why not just ask the doctor to test you for everything - stool culture and parasites. Maybe you picked up another pathogen. If it is a virus, it should get better on its own.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:14 am

Congratulations on your pregnancy! And, I agree with Beth. If you had a negative PCR, I'm sure the D isn't from c-diff. It can definitely be hormone related or some kind of bug. I have had D off and on since last Monday. I am exactly 2 years out since c-diff. Of course, c-diff enters my brain when I have BM issues like this. Coincidentally, I had a GI appt set up because honestly, my BM's have not been normal since c-diff. I figured maybe I should just see what he says. He ordered like 9 stool tests for pathogens, occult blood, etc. He believes that this is IBS. He said that once you have any infection in your gut, even e-coli or salmonella, you can have IBS for many years after. I asked if I should have a colonoscopy, but he thinks that there is no need unless blood comes up in the stool test. So my point is, that even at 2 years out, here I am having off weeks. I think it's quite normal that this happens. We are just more aware of our symptoms because of c-diff. However, ask your doctor if pregnancy can cause the symptoms that you are having.

jds0870
Regular Contributor

Postby jds0870 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:06 pm

Thank you Beth. That does make me feel a little better knowing it even picked up a mild infection. I'm still having intermittent D ugh! But trying to just keep positive vibes. She performed the other stool tests as well for ova and parasites because I had salmonella between relapses which I'm positive caused my 5th relapse. Those were good nothing came up.

Thank you Lisa I'm excited! Hoping for my boy...I have two girls. :) I'm sorry you're still having issues too ugh. The part that worries me is I also have intermittent mucous. But I know I've people with ibs can have mucous. And I try not to worry about color. My bowels are definitely all over and my stomach is so gurgly so hopefully it's just ibs. Ugh I'm contemplating retesting but trying to keep calm an watch it. I'll go days without d then have days of d. Even if it's not d I feel I have the urgency. I wish it would just level out.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:10 am

Congrats on the pregnancy JDS . During pregnancy your hormones can give you upset stomach so it might be due to that although it's good that you were tested for Cdiff as well , for a peace of mind. Hope the ova-parasites and the other pathogens tests will be negative too.
Again , congratulations on your pregnancy. May this special time be filled with health and lots of love!

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:00 am

Congrats jds. We have had many pregnant women with c diff post on this site and all delivered healthy babies.

I have had a bad couple of weeks, too, Lisa. IBS stinks - but it is better than c diff.

jds0870
Regular Contributor

Postby jds0870 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:15 pm

Thank you Georgina and Bobbie. I'm excited! So I'm still having issues with D. I was tested 10/20/2016 and then my doctor tested me 11/15/2016 to be sure, he was worried because I'm pregnant. He wanted to be extra cautious. Both tests were negative and were the Pcr test. I have d everyday. I wouldn't say necessarily wd but d none the less. And urgency. It's hard for me to accept its ibs d. Probably because I never had bowel issues before c diff. So I don't really have anything to compare it too. I searched through posts looking for women who had c diff then got pregnant to see if they had d issues. Didn't find any. It's hard for me to accept the negatives are correct but I don't think they would both be negative if I hd c diff. Thank you for listening. I hope my bowels slow down its been this way since becoming pregnant. I hope that's the reason.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:20 am

I too have D every day (testing positive for toxins) but at least I don't have the high frequency , no full blown symptoms. I just don't care anymore as long as it's not full blown, don't want to take anymore vanco unless it's followed by FMT and I'm just eating well , working , resting and trying to get on with my life. Trying not to think Cdiff 24/7.

jds0870
Regular Contributor

Postby jds0870 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:11 am

Georgina I'm so sorry you've suffered so long. I hope you can have relief in the near future. Yeah I'm not testing positive. Only negative on Pcr and toxin tests. I've been referred to a closer gi so hopefully he can help. I'm hoping this calms down in the second trimester. It's so hard to work like this. I have to believe the negative tests. There have been multiple even with chronic d. I am eating very very plain.

Return to “Free Form Discussion”