Anyone scared to not take probiotics?

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
Dobies#1
Long Time Contributor

Anyone scared to not take probiotics?

Postby Dobies#1 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:36 pm

Hey guys, I have been taking Florastor once a day for awhile now but I've been out for several days. Well today my bowels have been messed up so I took some Imodium. As some you you know I've posted about stress and worry about diarrhea several times. Sorry to post again on this subject, but are any of you scared to NOT stay on any probiotics? Every doctor I've spoke to seem to have differing opinions. My mind goes to "if I don't stay on Florastor C Diff will take over again!" Ugh. Thanks for your opinions and thoughts!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Anyone scared to not take probiotics?

Postby beth22 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:40 pm

I still take VSL#3 every day, although not a whole capsule. It makes me feel better and since I don't eat yogurt or drink kefir, I figure getting some good bacteria in me is ok. Some people have stayed on probiotics. Some people who have never had c difficile take them regularly too.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:45 am

I'm not scared , I haven't taken a probiotic since my last relapse. For me probiotics never helped much and I wasted a lot of money on them . The only probiotic that helped a little was the saccharomyces after my first Cdiff episodes but after the FMT it only gave me gas (stopped working). But , I would be curious to try the Megaspore , they talk about it on facebook and only heard good things about it.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:19 pm

I am one that is afraid to stop taking probiotics. I have went down to alternating between VSL-3 and Florastor each day, instead of taking both daily. But psychologically, I cannot bring myself to stop taking them altogether. I would like to stop the VSL though, as it's so expensive. I do think that it's good to take one probiotic daily though. I know you never get a straight answer from doctors on the probiotic issue. My doctor just says to continue to take them as they aren't doing any harm. Who knows! Sometimes I think if I stop taking them, maybe my BMs will be more normal. LOL

justme
Long Time Contributor

Postby justme » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:54 pm

I wish I could take probiotics. I keep trying and have tried each of them. I do take Floraster if I have to take an antibiotic, but after the antibiotic course is over, I have to stop. Each and every one of them - yogurt, kefir, pills (of any kind), VSL#3 (not available in Hawaii and can't be shipped in so that I haven't tried), give me bad gas make me loose or give me bad D. The IBS effects are not worth whatever peace of of mind taking them gives me. It has been nearly 4 years since my bout with C. Diff, so I don't fear not taking them, but will if an antibiotic is necessary. My recommendation - if you can take them without a negative reaction, do so. I would if I could.

Note: I haven't been on the board much lately. I am taking some intense internet classes to help build new neural pathways in my aging and damaged brain (from an SCA 9 years ago). I have a lot of trouble multi-tasking and my short term memory is affected. When I had a TIA 3 years ago, we discovered that I had extensive damage caused from lack of oxygen during the SCA. My neurologist tests me every year and so far I am not showing any signs of dementia. One of my best friends has Alzheimers and is slowly deteriorating. She is just a bit older than me, so that freaked me out. Damaged neurons cannot be repaired, but new pathways can be built. I am doing well so far and my IQ has not suffered much. My husband notices the memory lapses and he is very patient with me. I am lucky to have such strong support.

I know the physical and emotional toll C. Diff takes on each and every person who experiences it. I send you all my best wishes in your efforts to deal with this terrible illness.

Aloha,
Anne

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:12 pm

Anne.
If your memory is going don't forget that $1000 you owe me:-)

As for probiotics.
NONE of them are normally found in any sort if numbers in the human gut.
None multiply and all are eliminated within 72 hours.
There's several pound of bacteria in your gut.
What does a pill weigh? And it's not going to multiply!
Some probiotics MIGHT want to live on the same receptors as c.diff and stop it breeding.
Other than that it's a commercial, big bucks business.
If they help that's great but never in your wildest dreams think that the only thing that's preventing illness is that probiotics pill.
Might help can't hurt and you can get far more from real food.

Cm1619
Regular Contributor

Postby Cm1619 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:04 am

It took me months to realize it but I am one of those that cannot tolerate probiotics. I spent months with what I thought was IBS-D after my c diff infection. I was drinking a small amount of Kefir in the am and taking two probiotic pills a day, desperately trying to replenish my gut flora. I had all kind of early morning bowel issues. I ran out of pills and forgot to buy more Kefir in the same week and my symptoms disappeared. It's been on the back of my mind that my gut flora will mess up again but so far I've never relapsed! Now I'm starting to wonder how much they really helped me....

Dobies#1
Long Time Contributor

Postby Dobies#1 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:41 pm

Thanks so much for all the replies everyone! It helps so much to get everyone's opinions.
Roy, thanks for all the info! You're so knowledgeable and up to date on everything, and you're also funny!!!

justme
Long Time Contributor

Postby justme » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:31 pm

cm1619: Your reactions to probiotics mirrored mine. I guess there are some of us who just can't tolerate probiotics post C.Diff.
Aloha,
Anne

Roy: You are one funny guy. And, that is good information on the over-hype of probiotics in the media.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:42 pm

People who have SIBO usually do not tolerate probiotics. In fact, they are not recommended for people who have it because it just puts more bacteria into the small intestine, even if it is good bacteria and causes more GI symptoms. I can only take a small amount.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:18 pm

Probiotics are a "might" or "might not" subject. Few - including docs - agree about them.if you think they help, use them. If they don't, ignore.

Anne,
Smart to "exercise" our brains. My dad had Alzheimer's (confirmed) and my mom had mild dementia - probably from mini strokes. I used to have an almost photographic memory - no more. Getting old dries up our entire body. Wish there was a lotion that would help!! Thinking of you. How is the writing coming? I missed my writing class - again. Moving really rocked our world. We still have boxes to unpack.

Ashley20
Regular Contributor

Postby Ashley20 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:53 am

I stopped taking the Florastor about 2 months ago and noticed no difference...i still drink keifer daily and eat yogurt. I too thought i would have to take the Florastor forever

justme
Long Time Contributor

Postby justme » Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:53 pm

Bobbie: Regarding your question about my writing - I've put it aside for now because I'm finding the classes I'm taking too much a brain drain (Astronomy, Primatology, and Math). However, I have finally come up with an ending and who the killer is. I'm planning to get back to it, but I'm not in the right mood now. My mom has dementia caused from a series of small strokes and my sister has had them too. I agree - aging sucks - big time!! (But, it's still better than the alternative).

Probioics: Another thing that some of us (myself included) have experienced post C. Diff is lactose intolerance. That eliminates yogurt and kefir as good sources for natural probiotics. I ate yogurt everyday before C. Diff and can't even take small portions of it without a reaction. I've given up on them. I'd rather feel good without them, then miserable with them. It's really a personal choice.

Acres
Regular Contributor

Postby Acres » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:43 pm

Hi,
I am afraid of stopping....but I have serious anxiety issues which is my biggest enemy....I take 1 florastor and 1/2 vsl 3 everyday.
I tried to stop each one at separate times and after several days I noticed a difference....In my case could be anxiety kicking in, not sure and doctors do not know, though my primary (who thinks outside the protocol box) and GI are very caring people...
I figure probiotics are good for you so we decided to keep taking them indefinitely....

Return to “Free Form Discussion”