Flu shot side effects!

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
Dobies#1
Long Time Contributor

Flu shot side effects!

Postby Dobies#1 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:12 pm

I went to the pharmacy to get my flu shot. The sheet had diarrhea as a possible side effect. I got the stronger one with the four strains. Anyway, I asked the guy if it has antibiotics in it and he said it had a strain of neomycin and something else. I told him about my C Siff history and he said I shouldn't need to worry. But of course I am a little! I've had the flus shot the last two years but never had the stronger one. Ugh!

code3rn
Regular Contributor

Re: Flu shot side effects!

Postby code3rn » Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:36 pm

As always, I would check with your doctor. But as long as I've been a nurse I haven't heard of anyone getting cdiff from a flu shot. I have also never heard of there being an antibiotic in a flu shot?? But maybe it's part of the formulation??

justme
Long Time Contributor

Postby justme » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:51 pm

I got the strong version too (I do every year). I've never had a reaction, except for the year it didn't work because it didn't cover the right virus that was actually spreading through the population. There is always a chance that could happen. But, I've never heard of a flu shot giving someone C. Diff. That being said, I did get C. Diff because the flu shot "didn't" work. I got bacterial pneumonia after getting the flu in Vegas and given antibiotics. I got back to Hawaii in a weakened condition and was exposed to the Vog (volcanic ash). Kilauea just happened to be erupting that year. That led to bacterial bronchitis, then pneumonia again, and a sinus infection = lots of antibiotics, which ultimately led to "guess what!" I don't think you should worry about the extremely slim possibility of contracting a recurrence of C. Diff from a flu shot.
Aloha,
Anne

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:00 am

I've just had my flu shot done three days ago and did not notice any side effects!

Jill79
Regular Contributor

Postby Jill79 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:49 pm

I had my flu shot on 9/30 and even though I've had a setback with some bad GI symptoms the past two weeks, I just tested negative. The only side effect I experienced was some soreness in my arm where the shot was given and some aches and pains the next day. The pharmacist who administered the shot assured me it was safe after my recent battle with C. Diff.

Dobies#1
Long Time Contributor

Postby Dobies#1 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:50 am

Sorry for the minor freak out over this! Anyway, I haven't had any side effects to write home about. My arm was pretty sore and felt a bit heavy the last two days but that's about it really. Thanks for responding anyway!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:56 pm

I am supposed to get one at my doctor's office on Monday and I haven't had one since 1999, so I am a bit nervous too. The year I had it (1999), I was sicker than ever so I never got it again. I caught one cold after another. Not sure why.

Ismaila
Regular Contributor

Postby Ismaila » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:54 pm

According to the CDC report on this years vaccine, there is absolutely nothing in it even remotely close to any kind of antibiotics. If we all think logically, that makes total sense, because we all know that flu is caused by viruses.

Maybe there are some among us who are anti vaccines in general, or do not like the Government, but, a flu shot with antibiotic sounds like fairy tale.No antibiotic can be given without a doctor's prescription, so just going to your local Rite Aid is, in my humble opinion, impossible.

Best to all,

Ismaila

ResearchGrandma
Regular Contributor

Postby ResearchGrandma » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:56 pm

http://yourlivingbody.com/2016-2017-flu ... formation/

http://www.nhsggc.org.uk/media/238703/s ... pdated.pdf

Flu vaccines contain tiny amounts of antibiotics (like neomycin or gentamycin) left over from the virus growth media. (The antibiotics were used to prevent bacteria from growing and contaminating the viruses). I could not find the amounts of antibiotics in the vaccines, but I assume the levels are quite low - not anywhere near what an antibiotic dose would be for a person.

Lou2328
Brand New Poster

Postby Lou2328 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:42 am

I know this post is from 2016 but as a nurse I would like to correct some misinformation here, especially given by the other nurse who posted. Antibiotics are definitely found in vaccines and are very much capable of causing a c.difficile infection to occur. How do I know this? Because it happened to me. I received the flu shot from the multidose vial at the hospital where I worked and ended up hospitalized as a result. Other than labor, the pain of that was unlike any other and was beyond excruciating. My GI doctor even asked if I had received the flu shot recently because apparently two other nurses were admitted before me with the same symptoms after receiving their required flu shot too and it ended up being c.diff for them as well.

That was when I learned that we were not taught very much about vaccines in nursing school. We were told they saved lives and that was that. We were not told that they are created using aborted fetal cells, animal cells, and heavy metals. We were not told that parents do not receive the real vaccine inserts, which list adverse effects and even states death as one. We were not told that a vaccine injury court exists and that pharmaceutical companies are not held liable for injuries or deaths that occur. We simply were not told any of these facts that can be proven to be true now and yet they get away with this corruption and get away with ruining our health?!

4 billion plus paid out in the vaccine injury court that is paid for by taxpayers like you and yet all of these facts are kept quiet from us. The fact they now want to force vaccines on children in the US or threaten to arrest the parents and take the child away due to "neglect" in the state of IL says it all. If the vaccine insert states, this vaccine has never been tested to see if it causes cancer or infertility, then why in the world can it be mandated when it clearly is not 100% safe?? Ask yourself all these questions. If vaccines work why would you need someone else to be vaccinated for yours to work? Do meds work like that? No! The origin of herd immunity has nothing to do with vaccines and everything to do with natural immunity from mother to baby that occurs via breastmilk. Also, learn how some vaccines are LIVE vaccines which means they have the ability to shed. This is also mentioned in the vaccine insert. The MMR, measles mumps rubella, is such a shot so we are injecting a live virus into a child and then allowing this child to go to school during the shedding period. Yet, so many do not know this or understand what this means and still, they blame the unvaccinated child for any outbreak that occurs. So many news articles have come out that even state the person with measles was vaccinated or the navy ship quarantined at sea for mumps had only recently vaccinated crew on board. The truth is right there in our faces and yet people will call you a liar, threaten lives, act truly insane if you speak out on this matter. Pharmaceutical companies are paying some lawmakers $12,000 in funding to which they then create bills in their favor, like forcing the HPV shot to be mandatory for 6th grade students even though it is passed sexually, which would then generate them millions in profit. It is all about profit, not about people and health.

D1dad
Regular Contributor

Postby D1dad » Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:21 am

beth22 wrote:
> I am supposed to get one at my doctor's office on Monday and I haven't had
> one since 1999, so I am a bit nervous too. The year I had it (1999), I was
> sicker than ever so I never got it again. I caught one cold after another.
> Not sure why.
I’m with you Beth. I had to have one a few years ago due to a project at work and my results were like yours. Although I never got the flu, I had an earache and felt like I was hit by a truck for almost 6 months, also had cold after cold and virus after virus. My GP argues with me every year about it and claims it wasn’t related, but I know my body. I’ll die before I ever get one again. My daughter is an RN and has to get one and she’s the sickest person I know in the winter.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:02 am

Anti Vaxers have many reasons not to get vaccines.
I have not had adverse reactions except local pain.
There is tremendous risk to children who are not vaccinated against childhood diseases that have previously been successfully eradicated by vaccines and now have begun to emerge again and are spreading among unvaccinated children.

I do not believe this site is the place to argue this subject and these posts are irrelevant for us and this is a bad road to go down here. We have several RNs on this site and I am sure we all have our own opinions but I for one think we have enough to do supporting those with C diff rather than arguing merits of vaccines vs natural herd immunity.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:25 am

Agree with Rita. There are many opinions on vaccines.That is a decision that everyone must make with their doctor. I had all my childhood vaccines and so did my daughter and now my grandson. I am no longer able to get flu shots because after I had Influenza B in 2016 I had what they think may have been a mild case of Guillain Barre syndrome and you are not allowed to get the flu shot after that, so I don't have to think about that anymore. People are different and you should discuss your own cases with your doctor.

Elvish2
Contributor

Postby Elvish2 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:52 am

I know this is an old post, but I was revisiting the subject as flu season looms. I found this chart that shows how much trace antibiotics are contained in various vaccines, in case it's of use to anyone. I'm no medical professional, but it seems that the amounts are so small as to be negligible: https://www.chop.edu/centers-programs/v ... ntibiotics
2011: contracted c-diff after taking Amoxicillin and Cipro. Successfully treated with Flagyl taper. (Posts under old username, Elvish)

2020: contracted c-diff after taking Augmentin. Finished Dificid taper/pulse on 3/15.

Elvish2
Contributor

Postby Elvish2 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:09 am

Also, the Intradermal version of the flu shot does not appear to contain any antibiotics, although I don't know much about this version or how widely available it is: https://www.rxlist.com/fluzone-intrader ... escription
2011: contracted c-diff after taking Amoxicillin and Cipro. Successfully treated with Flagyl taper. (Posts under old username, Elvish)

2020: contracted c-diff after taking Augmentin. Finished Dificid taper/pulse on 3/15.

Return to “Free Form Discussion”