How do I know if I'm relapsing?

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
Raluuu
Brand New Poster

How do I know if I'm relapsing?

Postby Raluuu » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:01 pm

Hello! I am a 31 year old female and I was diagnosed with c diff about a month ago. It was caused by a course of badly administered antibiotics.
My doctor had me in the hospital for 6 days and put me on Flagyl and BRAT for 10 days. I took 750 mg Flagyl 3 times/ day during the treatment and all was fine until today, 2 weeks after being off the antibiotics and feeling fine. This morning I had mucus discharge, 1 normal stool with just a little bit of mucus and some 8 hours later, more mucus, noisy intestines. It's not a big amount but I am really scared because I'm in Italy for a few more weeks so no access to my doctor. Is it a relapse or could this even have been caused by something I ate?
I am getting really stressed out and worried..... I've always been healthy with no serious issues - even the antibiotics that started all this were just for a tooth problem ( that turned out to be badly diagnosed).
I've read about the 3 day rule but your experience and opinions would really help!

Thank you!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: How do I know if I'm relapsing?

Postby beth22 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:16 pm

Welcome to the site. Please read the first forum for posting guidelines and other information. So sorry that you are dealing with this when you are traveling. It is hard to say if it is a relapse or just something you ate or IBS. I found that I could not tolerate many foods after c diff that I could eat with no problem before. You could try avoiding dairy if you are not already. When I would have IBS flares, I found that Pepto Bismol usually calmed things down. It doesn't do much if it is a c diff relapse, however. I would say just to eat bland food for a few days, but if symptoms persist, you will need to get medical attention.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:14 pm

It's too soon to tell if it's a relapse or just a bad day.
Your flora has to recover now that your off meds and meanwhile your likely to get bad days.
That was a high flagy dose, normally 500s not 750s so that might contribute to disbyosis symptoms.
If things get worse you will have to see a Dr in Italy for treatment.
Have you got travel insurance?
Hopefully that would cover treatment but possibly they would not pay out because you had c.diff before you travelled.
Tip
Get your regular Dr to confirm you were treated and "cured" before the trip.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:38 am

A little mucus followed by a formed BM and some gurgling does not indicate a relapse. You gut is trying to recover but it cannot happen overnight , several weeks after treatment your gut is going to remain irritated (mucus is a sign of irritation) so you might experience days like that again. However , if things remain nice and firm and you are not going to the toilet all day you are fine , you are recovering. If you start having multiple bouts of diarrhea , fever , abdominal pain go to ER.
Staying on a bland diet for a few days is a good idea. Are you taking a probiotic? Hopefully you made a travel insurance!

Raluuu
Brand New Poster

Postby Raluuu » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:04 am

Thank you so much for all the replies! I am Romanian,I do have medical insurance back home and I think it's international so that is ok in case of emergency. I have been taking probiotics. The doctor told me to only take them for 2 weeks but I'm already in my 3rd week and will keep taking them.
It's really hard and concerning when you think about the medical response to this. I travel a lot, it's my job! I developed the c diff while in the US but the doctors there DID NOT diagnose it. They said I was fine, just stress and maybe IBS. The doctor even said he won't send my stool sample for analysis. I was so mad whenI got diagnosed in Romania 3 weeks later! The thing is my only symptom was the mucus D which would come and go, it wasn't a constant so maybe it was my fault that I didn't insist while overseas. My insurance there would have covered everything.
I am still nervous but last night was fine and so far this morning I'm ok. I did have a higher than usual sugar intake for the last few days so maybe that caused it. Keeping my fingers crossed!

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:15 am

Raluu
I'm Romanian too!

Raluuu
Brand New Poster

Postby Raluuu » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:38 am

Nice to hear that, Georgina! Did you get treated and diagnosed in Romania as well?

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:36 am

Yes , i was diagnosed in Romania trough the old toxins test and treated in Romania witth metro and vanco (my olny two options) , can't get dificid , i have to order it from the manufacturer for a price that is above and beyound my financial possibilities (just for the ten day course , and we all know that for long time Cdiff sufferers a ten day course may not be enough).
Just to remind you that we do not use the forum for back and forth conversation , we do that by PM.

RomGrl
Regular User

Postby RomGrl » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:50 pm

I'm Romanian as well!

Return to “Free Form Discussion”