Only one at a time please,

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
Bobbie
Administrator

Only one at a time please,

Postby Bobbie » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:48 pm

I have been sick all week and went to a doc yesterday who I have see for 30 years. His new young assistant informed me I could only ask about one subject - I had two concerns. She said I would need to make another appointment about the other. Several friends told me the same thing occurred in their doctors' offices.

I addressed both my concerns , and the doc was very gracious and answered both. I always try to keep my questions short.

Do not know if "one question to for a patient" is just here or another universal application of the Hippocratic Oath.

roy
Administrator

Re: Only one at a time please,

Postby roy » Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:15 pm

Or more like 2 appointments means 2 paydays!

lookyloo
Regular User

Postby lookyloo » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:46 pm

Ok....that's nuts. I didn't encounter that, however, at my gp,s office yesterday, they informed me that they are now required to ask questions about mental health. Good thing I was feeling okay yesterday morning because on a bad day I might be apt to admit I want to drive my car off the road. I'd probably be sent for a full mental health evaluation. Lol

Nancy1
Administrator

Postby Nancy1 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:24 pm

Feel better, Bobbie!

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:45 pm

I am better, Nancy. Thx. Have had this happen so many times but even after all these years, the thought of having c diff is frightening. Agree with you, Roy - more $$$.

Went to lunch Monday with friends but in a lot of pain. Thought it would improve so went anyway. Bad choice. Just sat down when I had to race to the restroom and barely made it. Finished lunch, shopped for awhile, and went home. The pain worsened - lower left quandrant of stomach. I thought about going to the hospital but am tired of them. I took two hydrocortisone - left over from my last surgery - and slept all day with my friend, the heating pad. The next morning I was better but called my PPI and saw him the next day. By that time the pain was gone. I have a non obstructive kidney stone and also IC and repeated UTIS so had a culture done.

My main concern was two rounds of a Z pak within the last 12 weeks for a infection in my foot before surgery. Normally, I Don't worry about c diff once I am off an antibiotic for 8 to 10"weeks but others have relapsed later.

I am tired (usually have lots of energy) and whenever I sit down, I fall asleep. This happened after my surgery last fall. I was anemic - which eventually improved. Probably am again. Have had enough "rest" as spent six days lying on the couch - "nose to toes." Finally listened to surgeon when he said I would wind up in hospital on IV antibiotics and maybe worse. He removed a huge infected bunion and a bone spur from my left foot. My surgery last fall was for a shattered elbow - have severe osteoporosis.

Guess this was IBS and am now dealing with after effects of pain meds. The culture turned out negative, and the pain has not returned. This was my second surgery in 8 months and I do nor react well to anesthesia. I forget things for awhile, can't read or concentrate.

I am in a lot of activities and back in them. Still trying to get new house in shape.Love the house. I can read again so know I will be all right. I am back in aerobics and keeping up. It will take awhile to completely recover. I went shopping today -and got some new make up - and will undoubtedly look weeks younger. Walked two miles in the mall.

This is a difficult time.I have several friends who are very ill. We have a son with chronic problems. I should have cataract surgery but am not a good candidate. If I stay home a lot, I become depressed so best to get out "amoung 'em." Three years ago I had abdominal pain that lasted for months and lost 15 lbs. Eventual diagnosis was microscopic colitis. My GI of many years dropped me because he could not diagnose me and said my case was "too complicated" after three bouts of c diff - the first lasting 4 years. AH.

C diff is a pain in the ass -- in so many ways. Such a relief to find out I had "0just IBS." It is not a diagnosis - just a group of symptoms. Better than c diff!

G kids are coming for Xmas - so excited. We have missed so much of their childhood. They live in the UK. We have been there 10 times. They have never been to KS. Met them in Orlando after Xmas two years ago.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:20 am

Bobbie
I'm so sorry you are not feeling well. Those tummy issues are quite upsetting and can really press your panic button .Glad it's just IBS but this can also be debilitating sometimes.Hope you start feeling better soon!
I'm having issues with my dog , his stomach is gurgling and he has D with M , my favorite symptoms! Going straight to the vet , thank God they are opened on Suanday.

justme
Long Time Contributor

Postby justme » Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:21 am

Bobby: You poor girl. Your health issues just keep piling up even when you are trying to keep yourself as fit and healthy as possible. I love the old expression "It's like shovelin' shit against the tide". It seems to apply to you with your recent issues. I'm glad the kids are visiting you for Christmas. Mine are coming to visit us too (for New Years). It's time to let the young ones do the traveling. Take care, my friend. I hope you start feeling better soon.
Aloha nui loa,
Anne

getwellsoon
Long Time Contributor

Postby getwellsoon » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:11 am

Bobbie, Hoping and praying you feel better soon. All this crap seems to pile up at once. Good thing you have Christmas to look forward to. Glad you are getting back out there. YOu are a strong lady and will be fine.
CAROL

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:19 pm

My PCP or GI has not said anything about only 1 question/visit but my sports medicine/orthopedist office has. When I called to make an appointment and had 2 issues they told me I could only deal with 1 at the visit. That didn't stop me from asking anyway, but it was an easy question. I agree with Roy that it is another problem for another charge.

Bobbie, I know about every possible IBS remedy in case you ever need a consult and may have missed something! Just remember despite all this crap, you are way ahead of where you were 2 months or so ago and have Christmas to look forward to.

Ashley20
Regular Contributor

Postby Ashley20 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:39 am

I have had my doctors say the same thing about only 1 question per appointment....i still ask a million, lol!

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:12 am

The "only one question" per appt is so absurd. I have not come across that one yet, although I know doctors have found my several questions and hyperness to be annoying. I can tell from their demeanor. I tend to get hyper when I'm nervous.

Thank goodness your episode was just IBS. But, it can definitely bring on the c-diff panic. I think that initial panic from a GI episode is something that we all have to live with now. I wish we could erase c-diff from our brains.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:20 pm

Feel same way in doc's office - intimidated. I have "white coat" syndrome - BP shoots right up. I usually try to inject some humor. Am sure I am known as that "weird woman."

I list my questions - keep them as short as possible - and write the answer as we go down the list. Half the time I can't read my writing after I leave. I thought about taping but don't think doc's would like it. If I take my husband with me to "listen" he often "hears" the exact opposite from what I hear. He now has a problem - keeps hinting about it so guess it is "personal" - and sounds as though he needs to go to a dermatologist. Will take days until he does something about it.

Isn't it fun being the keeper of everyone's (including our own) health?

sevla
Regular Contributor

Postby sevla » Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:43 pm

Just read this. SO sorry for all the issues you had in the last months, Bobbie and glad it's just IBS!
I will be very upset if one day I get the "one question" thing from a doctor... I will maybe leave and tell them off :-(

Return to “Free Form Discussion”