Visiting Dentist--need advice

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
misswhit
Brand New Poster

Visiting Dentist--need advice

Postby misswhit » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:29 am

Hello everyone. I'm new to this board. I suffered from C-diff about 5 years ago now-- my doctor at the time gave me 3 back to back rounds of Flagyl to beat it. I was tested on 3 different occasion after Flagyl treatment and tested NEG each time. I developed C-Diff from the 3 different antibiotics my dentist put me on to deal with what he though was infection but later turned out to be a broken piece of wisdom tooth that was not removed during initial surgery.
Thursday I have a dentist appt. with a new dentist for an abscess and I know he will prescribe an antibiotic and I'm honestly petrified!! I need help in knowing exactly what antibiotic to ask for that will do the less damage on my stomach flora. I'm really scared here. I never want to go through the hell of C-diff again. I"m still not myself after that experience. THANK you all for any advice you may give and please forgive me if I posted in the wrong area.

missy
Last edited by misswhit on Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Re: Visiting Dentist--need advice

Postby AllisS » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:02 pm

Hi and welcome to the site. The dentist will not necessarily prescribe an antibiotic for an abscess unless the abscess is infected. However, if he does recommend an antibiotic, let him know of your history of C. diff and your very valid concerns about contracting it again; tell him you would prefer to avoid taking any antibiotic unless absolutely necessary. One antibiotic that you want to avoid in any event is clindamycin; it it popular with dentists, and it accounts for most of the cases of C. diff seen on this site. If an antibiotic is considered necessary, it isn't as simple as just asking for a "safe" one; any antibiotic has the potential to cause C. diff. Also, the antibiotic must be one that will tackle the specific infecting organism. Have a frank discussion with him about your concerns.

Allison
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

misswhit
Brand New Poster

Postby misswhit » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:36 pm

Thank you Allison. Yes Clindamycin was one of the 3 antibiotics prescribed back to back to me from my former dentist. Thank you for your reassuring words of being frank with the new dentist. I'm armed with some info and welcome more advice on how to navigate this antibiotic obstacle course. :) Thank you again Allison for your time you shared with me today. Each day is precious.
missy

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:47 pm

Missy

Look under CDI which will list the "safer" antibiotics. I agree to have an honest talk with the dentist about your complete CDIFF history and concerns. I have had several Root Canals, 1 extraction and also a gum infection while dealing with CDIFF and also Post CDIFF. None of the dentists, oral surgeon or endodontist felt I needed an antibiotic. Everyone is different and once your dentist has all information, the two of you can make an informed choice. For the gum infection I used Peridox solution. It is an antibacterial solution and helped me a great deal.
Wishing you the best
NanciT

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:05 pm

Antibiotics are not routine for a dental abscess.
Also if one is needed Flagyl can be considered but that's only if it's truly a severe infection.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Dental-abs ... ction.aspx

http://www.gpnotebook.co.uk/simplepage. ... -496304061

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:19 am

My husband had an abscess and the dentist just cleaned it out and he used the Peridex rinse. No antibiotics were needed. One of the safer ones is doxycycline and I read that it can be used for mouth and gum infections, but hopefully you won't even need that.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:19 am

I personally think that dentists are overdoing it with antibiotics. Where I live , doctors don't give patients antibiotics for any small abcess , they just drain it and rinse the area with hydrogen peroxide solution . If there is a serious infection in the gum that requires surgery then a 7 days course of antibiotics is given , usually Augmentin (high offender) , Clindamycin (the devil) or Doxicillin (with is a low offender).

Dobies#1
Long Time Contributor

Postby Dobies#1 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:10 pm

Missy, I was just wondering what happened with the dentist today? Hope all is well.

misswhit
Brand New Poster

Postby misswhit » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:54 am

I'm so sorry for not re-posting reply sooner. I explained everything to the dentist who when I told her that I had developed C-Diff from dentist prescribed antibiotics just sat down and wanted to hear all about it. She had never met anyone who had C-diff and was very concerned that my past dentist had been so free handed with the antibiotics. Abcess as been dealt with without any antibiotics being prescribed. I did ask her why I was told I would need them she told me that it's more and more a standard practice to prescribe them to make sure infection has settled in where abcess started. I'm also dealing with bone loss in same area I had the original wisdom tooth pulled that started my C-diff nightmare. Go figure! I was impressed that my dentist had me tell her assistant about my C-diff experience and afterward tell her assistant that they always need to try other "therapies" before antibiotics.

Also a side note that I went to a new family practitioner and she informed me that she believes in can take 7-10 years to fully get ones body back in rhythm after having c-diff. She gave me credit for being "strong enough" to fight that "bastard infection". So nice to have a doctor that get's what we've all been through- going through-striving for.

Thanks again everyone for the encouragement and help! I did find a great strength and comfort having your words- wisdom and encouragement with me.

Bless you ,
-missy-

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:51 pm

Thanks for posting your experience. Good for your dentist for listening to what you had to say and avoiding antibiotics when they weren't necessary. I wish more dentists would do that. Many of the posters on this site got c difficile after being treated by dentists with antibiotics. Many are very quick to hand out antibiotics, especially Clindamycin, as a matter of protocol, even if there is no sign of infection. They, as much as doctors, need to be more aware of the growing number of cases of c difficile nowadays. Good for you for being your own advocate. I wish you continued improvement and good health.

Return to “Free Form Discussion”