Floraster Disaster

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
justme
Long Time Contributor

Floraster Disaster

Postby justme » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:09 am

As I mentioned in another post, I took 100 mg Macrobid for 3 days (2 x day) as a prophylactic for a urethral dilation last Friday. Starting a day earlier, I began taking 1 Floraster and 1/2 a container of yogurt daily to fortify my good bacteria. Today is the fifth day for the probiotics and my colon is reacting badly. Since C. Diff, I've been lactose intolerant and unable to take yogurt or any kind of probiotics. It seems that my colon is trying to convince me that it doesn't like any kind of probiotic, yeast or otherwise. At the same time, my husband is being revisited by his blastocycstishominis (a protozoa he picked up about 10 years ago on a teaching trip to Panape, Micronesia). He has to do a clean-out and then take Flagyl (that wonderful drug many of us have a love/hate relationship with (mostly hate). So, between the two of us, our bathrooms are in constant use. It's nice to be able to share, but this is ridiculous. I'm just glad we have two bathrooms. I'm going to stop both the yogurt and the Floraster and hope my body gets back to normal (at least my normal). Tom will have to continue with the Flagyl the full 10 days (he's also taking the Floraster and yogurt). Wish us luck.
Aloha,
Anne

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Re: Floraster Disaster

Postby Lisa33 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 12:14 pm

Ugh Anne - Wishing both you and your husband well!

Since you are lactose intolerant, have you tried Kefir at all? I believe it's 99% lactose free. You may be able to tolerate it better and it's supposed to be very beneficial in getting the live bacteria to stay alive all the way to your gut.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:28 pm

Read the ingredients in florestor.
It's only a small amount but lactose is there!

justme
Long Time Contributor

Postby justme » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:14 pm

Roy: I noticed that it did have lactose - 32.5% (although it states it is for those who are lactose intolerant). I took it as a JIC because I was taking the Macrobid and because it is a yeast "biotic" it doesn't interfere with the antibiotic. I stopped after I had the bad reaction.

Lisa: I've tried Kefir. I had an really bad reaction to it and only took 1/3 of a cup. I think it's the probiotics that are the problem along with a lactose intolerance. My system just doesn't like probiotics of any kind.

Thanks for the concern. I'm much better now and so is my hubby.
Aloha,
Anne

Return to “Free Form Discussion”