Head and Chest Cold

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
Acres
Regular Contributor

Head and Chest Cold

Postby Acres » Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:57 pm

Hi,
This is my 10th day battling a head and chest cold. At least we think it is a cold. Went to Urgent Care today, my throat is on fire....
Rapid strep and blood tests came up negative for bacterial infection, but my primary doctor called me back (called his answering service) and is not happy about the length of the illness. He is away, but suggested I go see my ENT doc. asap....
Of course I am terrified about needing an antibiotic, but it seems this is a virus that is lingering with chest pain, wheezing, sore throat, feel very exhausted (no legs at all), sinus pressure and a non stop headache....
My primary believes due to c.diff my immune system is still very weak and is worried about a secondary infection....
I am quite nervous and just needed to vent as usual....
Doing lots of ginger tea, sinus rinse, salt water gargling, vitamins, still taking vsl3 and florastor.....
Scott

Bobbie
Administrator

Re: Head and Chest Cold

Postby Bobbie » Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:10 pm

Scott,
It is probably a virus even tho,it has gone on so long. I've had the same symptoms but was also as afraid of taking an antibiotic. I've had pneumonia 8 times since my first bout with c diff in 1993.

Ask for a chest Xray and a sputum culture before making any further decisions. I survived pneumonia 3'times by taking a z pak. Also took VSL3 with it. A zpak is a low offender but has contributed to c diff. In others.mi am very prone to c diff.i

Seeing your ENT might be a good idea to see see if your sinuses are affected. See CDI - Infections - Sinus, etc.viewtopic.php?f=4&t=673#p4788. Latest info first.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:11 pm

Hi Scott
I think you should be seen, it may not require an antibiotic. I would explain your history of CDIFF and let the ENT know your concerns. You may also look under CDI there is a list of which antibiotics are "safer" than the others and you can bring that information with you. There are various medications that are not antibiotics that will treat wheezing so talk with the MD about that.
Sounds like you are doing everything you can!
Hope you feel better soon
NanciT

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:40 pm

Scott, also look under sinusitis for other things you can do besides for the normal nasal saline irrigation.
I had a 6 week sinus infection this past Christmas season that sent me into panic mode but my ENT worked with me and I did other things and it stayed viral so despite being sick as a dog I never needed antibiotics.

To clarify- the above is for the sinus/headache symptoms. If there is wheezing and chest symptoms that OTC meds are not curing that is a whole other issue.
Good luck.
Rita

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:37 am

I was sick this year with sinusitis and the flu every month since january untill may , it was one flu after another. I was coughing very bad so naturally i thought that TB is coming back , i did a lot of Xray's that showed nothing and sputum cultures that showed nothing so , most likely it was due to viruses. Since i was sick all the time my pulmo doc gave me a oral vaccine , in Europe is called Luivac , it's been three months and i'm fine , no flu or anything.

Acres
Regular Contributor

Postby Acres » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:18 pm

Thank you all for your suggestions, links and caring....
I am sorry that everyone has suffered so much....
Called the answering service of my ENT and was able to make an appointment for tomorrow at 1:40pm....

She knows my c.diff history. I went to see her several months ago when I thought candida was everywhere....She is a very good doctor. She could see right off I was very anxious and told me she was the same, that's why she became a doctor, made me laugh and put me at ease.

I have taken a z pak several times in the past and never got c .diff. Clindamycin gave me the beast. I wonder if that makes any difference with my chances of getting it again if I took the z pak again...
Scott

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:53 pm

Doubt it. Vantin - now rarely used because of all the c dill it was linked to - caused my first vase of c diff.

I took a zpak 3x. Worked fist time without causing c diff. Took one zpak after another about 5 or 6 weeks ago. Jury still out - bad days, good days. Usually don't take probiotics but took VZL3 - it helped the first time.

Best of luck. Your doc sounds like a winner,

Acres
Regular Contributor

Postby Acres » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:19 am

Thank you Bobbie for everything you have done here....This site is a life raft for us inflicted with this horrible monster....
Praying that you do not relapse...
Scott

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:07 pm

The ENT can usually tell if it's bacterial or not. When I got back from Florida in early May, I was so sick with a sinus infection. I flew home with a cold and it went into my sinuses. I battled this thing for a couple of weeks doing the irrigation rinses, saline, etc., but nothing worked. I'm sure it all started off viral, but I knew from what I was spitting out, it most likely had turned. I waited as long as I could, and then threw in the towel after going to the ENT. He knew my c-diff history, so he was not quick to prescribe anything until scoping my sinuses. As soon as he saw up there, he said, it's time to treat. He said that 70-80% of the time, a zpak will work for a sinus infection, but given my history and my anxiety about taking an antibiotic, let's try it. Thankfully it worked. It kicked in on the last pill. I continued on my probiotic regimen, but upped the Kefir and yogurt. I did fine and c-diff did not return.

ENT's can also culture by doing a swab up your nose. This is a way to try to prescribe the correct antibiotic. However, I have been told by a primary doctor that there are many kinds of bacteria that can live in your sinuses, so it may not always be certain which bacteria is causing the infection. However, my ENT did culture my husband after amoxicillin did not work for his sinus infection. It turned out that the bacteria was resistant to amoxicillin. He went through a whole round of it unnecessarily. He was then prescribed Levaquin, which worked.

Almost always the symptoms that you have are viral. Viruses can sometimes take a long time to clear up. I will keep my fingers crossed for you!
Lisa

Acres
Regular Contributor

Postby Acres » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:43 pm

Hi,
Chest x ray ok....Doctor sent out samples from my throat, came back negative....
And the winner is "it's a virus"...A nasty one.....
Had a sinus ct scan today as well...
Did I forget to mention I have asthma (very mild) I used to take Quibron years ago, but have not needed anything for years. This virus apparently really aggravated it for some reason...Doctor gave me Pro air (heart skip central) so I got xopenex (made me feel worse and gave me a bad headache) I will ask him for Quibron and something similar to take in pill form....
The point of my rant is I do not need an antibiotic !
My doctor is sending me to a pulmonary doctor for a complete check....
Scott

justme
Long Time Contributor

Postby justme » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:04 pm

Scott:
Good news that its viral! That seems so odd to congratulate someone for having a virus, but as we C. Diff sufferers and veterans know - it's better than having to risk taking an antibiotic. Take care of yourself - drink lots of water and get plenty of rest.
Aloha,
Anne

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:36 am

There are some nasty viruses out there! Take care of yourself and hope you feel better soon!

Solianne
New User

Postby Solianne » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:12 am

Have you tried honey lemon water? My grandma often use it to treat sore throat, wheezing and improve the immune system very well.
She slices lemons and dip them in honey, she makes a big jar of honey lemon slices to use.
Or there're many methods to help you reduce the wheezing or sore throat here https://authorityremedies.com/home-reme ... -wheezing/
I'm sorry if it doesn't help.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:18 pm

Please note, this thread is months old

Return to “Free Form Discussion”