What antibiotics would be safe to take? May have infection.

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
roy
Administrator

Re: What antibiotics would be safe to take? May have infecti

Postby roy » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:50 pm

Hope it does the trick but don't you just love the Dr's that take a guess and dish out treatment without knowing what they are treating!

Jimmy34
Contributor

Postby Jimmy34 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:00 pm

I am extremely upset with the dermatologist right now. I knew it was something more than just a bug bite. He finally did a biopsy. Results came back as a bug bite. But by then this rash spread and got worse. The treatmeants for the different fungal and bugs didn't work. It just kept coming back worse each time. This past Tuesday he took samples from my nose and rashes and blisters. To test for MRSA and impetigo. And put me on a steroid pill and steroid cream and this antibiotic doxy. Things look a lot better and the rashes are no longer weeping. But c diff is heavy on my mind. I spoke with my primary doctor too. She seems to think its my stress and ibs. Which the ibs started after cdiff. But i was wondering if this is true? I read that Florastor can kill cdiff? Or is it just hype to sell the product?

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:24 pm

From our posters experience florastor MIGHT help prevent c.diff, there's a few studies that suggest the same but being a suppliment and not a medicine means it's mostly untested.
It's worth trying and it's the one most here take but check with your Dr.
I don't think it kills c.diff.
What I studied says it takes up the same receptors that c.diff wants to live on and c.diff can't take up residence.

Jimmy34
Contributor

Postby Jimmy34 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:34 pm

I've been taking it since I got cdiff. Many here recommended it. And I truly believe it definitely helps prevent it. It also helps my ibs. So my doctors have said it's ok to take. Although my primary keeps trying to shove align down my throat. As well as something called Viberzi. For my ibs-d. Yeah I get that too since having cdiff. Thank you Roy for all your help. I just need to try and keep calm when my gut starts to act up. Anxiety doesn't help one bit. Easier said than done though. Especially with what happened this morning being woken up from a dead sleep. Having to run to the bathroom. Gotta take my probiotics eat as best I can and pray it's enough to keep cdiff away.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:03 pm

Your doing well.
Florestor is not killed by antibiotics but Aline etc are.
If you do take anything apart from florestor space it half way between Doxy doses to give it a chance of survival.
Have you tried Kefir?

Jimmy34
Contributor

Postby Jimmy34 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:32 pm

Yes I did try it. But it upset my stomach. But I am willing to give it a second try. I do eat 2 yogurts a day with live culture as well as a refrigerated 100 billion probiotic called Raw probiotics ultimate care. I get that at the vitamin shoppe. Also taking glutamine. I know it doesn't help with cdiff or reducing the chances of getting cdiff. But it has helped with my ibs.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:31 pm

I have horrible IBS. It really flares up when I am anxious. There are times I know I am thinking about something especially worrisome and I can feel the rumblings start. The brain-gut connection is very strong.

My friend, a GI dr, recommends Align for IBS so I take that in the morning and have added Florastor at night for a few months as a precaution since I recently took xifaxan as treatment for PI IBS. Not all probiotics agree with everyone so sometimes you have to make sure the one(s) you take aren't causing a GI problem.

I don't know how you are eating but if were you I would stay away from raw veggies, high fiber and a lot of sweets. I had a lot of food intolerances and even now, 3 1/2 yrs later, I can only tolerate limited amounts of salad.
Viberzi is a fairly new med for IBS-D. I opted not to try it but I did try xifaxan and it seems to be working for me. All meds have advantages and disadvantages. For 11 months I took Enteragam, a medical food for IBS-D that is used by some drs for c diff because it binds with toxins as well. You may want to ask your dr about all those options.

Best of luck healing your rash and gut. I hope you finally have the right diagnosis and treatment.
Rita

Jimmy34
Contributor

Postby Jimmy34 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:08 am

Yes I am still new to all this. So far Florastor and the 100 billion probiotic has worked for me. When I take it like I should. I made the mistake before thinking I was ok because I felt better. And stopped taking my probiotics. As well as eating a few things I shouldn't have. And I paid for it. I will from now on take the probiotics even if I feel great. I can tell the difference now. My concern now is the antibiotic im currently taking. Most say it is a low risk antibiotic. But 21 days is a long time for any type of antibiotic. So with that heavy on my mind. And each pill I take I worry. So that definitely plays a huge role on my stress levels. But I haven't had any real issues since yesterday morning. Stomach gets a bit off. But again that could be stress induced. Once I get off of these antibiotics I can begin to rebuild instead of just maintaining. And that will help a great deal with my stress levels.
Thank you Rita for the helpful information. I hope you continue to get better as well.

ResearchGrandma
Regular Contributor

Postby ResearchGrandma » Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:52 pm

I took 2 weeks of doxycycline (I think dose was 100 mg/day) in Feb for a dental issue, which was about 3 years post C. diff. My stools did get looser and more frequent, but I tested negative for C. diff. The dental issue was not resolved because it turned out I had a cracked root with infected bone cyst, so the tooth was extracted and afterwards (because of the infected bone cyst) I took a week of flagyl (500 mg twice a day). The flagyl was awful to take, just like I remembered from C. diff experience, but it seemed to help my stools. In May or June I had some worrisome symptoms - watery D for a day followed by a week of being very off, but then found out others at work had similar symptoms. And just 2 weeks ago I picked up another bad GI infection that had me in hospital for 4 days - but tested negative for C. diff toxins as well as for the standard bacterial pathogens - so probably just a bad virus that my not so great immune system was having trouble clearing.

Jimmy34
Contributor

Postby Jimmy34 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:33 pm

I'm so sorry to hear that. Is there any way that the you can strengthen your immune system? 4 days in the hospital is no joke. That's a serious virus that hit you. I'll pray that you're through the worst of it and recover quickly. The damage cdiff can cause is unbelievable. Even years later.

Return to “Free Form Discussion”