What antibiotics would be safe to take? May have infection.

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
Jimmy34
Contributor

What antibiotics would be safe to take? May have infection.

Postby Jimmy34 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:45 pm

Hello all,
I have had some bad luck with my health as of the last 9 months. Took forever to get rid of cdiff. 4 rounds of antibiotics to kill it. Now somehow I contracted scabies. And may have gotten a skin infection from them. Are there any antibiotics that are safe to use? Or anything else to get rid of the infection? Are cream antibiotics Safe to take? My last stool sample showed no signs of type A or type B cdiff. Not sure what that means. But I still suffer from the PI IBS. And sometimes ibs-d. I am worried about what I can or cannot take if I in fact have the skin infection. I See the dermatologist again tomorrow. I just want to be prepared as best I can with what I can or cannot take as far as antibiotics go.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Re: What antibiotics would be safe to take? May have infecti

Postby Lisa33 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:40 pm

So sorry to hear that you are dealing with this now, Jimmy. There is a list of antibiotics by risk level for causing c-diff under CDI Info - All you need to know. See link:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=636

I do believe that topical antibiotics can cause c-diff. They will usually say it on the side effect warning on the label. But I'm sure there are creams that are safer to use. You should voice your concerns with your doctor and come up with the best game plan. I believe Bactroban is less risky, but double check with your doctor. If you search on Bactroban, many posts should come up.

Good luck and feel better,
Lisa

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:58 am

Agree with Lisa , creams that contain antibiotic , especially Clyndamicin can cause Cdiff. From what I know Sarcoptes Scabie is a parasite , not bacteria , and it has to be treated with antiparasite cream like the generic Permethrin . In Romania we also use Benzil benzoate cream. Ask your doctor if antibiotic cream is what you really need to treat this!

Jimmy34
Contributor

Postby Jimmy34 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:36 pm

I was told I now have an infection. Possibly impetigo. They prescribed Doxycyline for it. Both the dermatologist and the pharmacist said this shouldn't cause cdiff. Or is at least the safest for me to take. The biopsy does show that the rash or blisters were caused by a bug bite. But doesn't say what kind of bug. They took some samples of the weepy liquid coming from the rashes. As well as took a swab from my nose. So I will see where this antibiotic is on the list of safety. I'll keep taking my florastor and my other antibiotic called Raw probiotics ultimate care. Has 100 billion in it.
P.S. I don't see Doxycyline Hyclate on the list. And I have to take it twice a day. 100 mg for 21 days. I pray this is a safe one.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:33 pm

Ugh - so sorry Jimmy about the infection. I think Doxycycline is low risk. Do a search on it, as I believe other posters did ok with it. I believe Beth22 is one of them. I'm sure you will do fine.

Jimmy34
Contributor

Postby Jimmy34 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:41 am

Thank you Lisa,
They have me on 3 prescription drugs. The antibiotic Doxycycline 100mg twice daily. For 21 days. Prednisone I think for inflammation. 3 for 4 days, 2 for 4 days, and 1 for 4 days. And a steroid cream Desoximetasone 0.25% twice a day. Not sure if this is overkill? But I know I'm tired of whatever this rash/ infection is ive been dealing with for basically since early March. Which my dermatologist believes it to be Impetigo. And from the research ive done on it last night. It looks like it definitely could be. But the big concern for me is c diff. Worst thing I've ever dealt with. You all are a blessing. Your help with this has made a huge difference. I just wish I could retain more of the information you all have given. And I wish the doctors would have listened to me sooner. I asked them countless times if it could be more than just bug bites.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:51 am

Jimmy

I am sorry you have this infection, I know how scary it can be Post CDIFF. It does not sound like overkill to me, the doctor wants to clear up the infection and the antibiotic he is giving you is a low offender. I hope it all goes well.
Let us know how you do
NanciT

Jimmy34
Contributor

Postby Jimmy34 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:39 am

Thank you Nanci. That is comforting news. Just worried me because in the side effects that are in the pamphlet they give with the antibiotic it says may cause c diff. But I suppose that's in all of them. Just ready to be done with this mess. I Thank you all again. You have no idea how comforting it is knowing this site is here. The information you all have shared has been better than most of the information my doctors have given me. Yes doctors... You all are a Godsend. I will keep you all updated. And in my prayers. Have a blessed day.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:52 pm

Jimmy

Recently I have seen more about CDIFF and most antibiotics are now labeled with it as a risk. There are times we have to take them, make sure you take a Probiotic on off hours of the antibiotic. Check with your MD on this, they may have one they want you to take unless you are already taking them
Wishing you the best
NanciT

Jimmy34
Contributor

Postby Jimmy34 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:54 pm

My primary doc keeps talking about align. Since I contracted cdiff. But I am sticking with Florastor and just started this one called Raw probiotics ultamate care. I get it from the vitamin shoppe. Has 100 billion good bacterias in each pill. Has to be refrigerated. VSL#3 is really hard for me to get. And it costs twice as much. Hopefully this one I am taking now is strong enough.

Jimmy34
Contributor

Postby Jimmy34 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:29 am

Just woke up with stomach pain. And had a not so pleasant bm. Not watery. But not good. Stomach still feels off as well. Could this be my ibs? Or the doxycyline being to much for me? Ive only taken 3 doses so far. Can c diff react or come back that quickly? Or maybe ibs from it?

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:32 am

To be honest, it can be any of the above that you mentioned. It can also be your nerves just waiting for something to happen. This could just be because of the meds. I think you should see how the next couple of days go, and of course if things start to go downhill, call your doctor. Try not to think about it, and go about your day. You will know if you are relapsing. You are doing all of the right things though - taking a low offender antibiotic, taking the probiotics and you are also a good amount of time out from c-diff. You have everything going in your favor that you will not relapse.

Hang in there!
Lisa

Jimmy34
Contributor

Postby Jimmy34 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:15 pm

I did speak with my primary doctor this morning. And she said since I was just tested for cdiff last month and both type A and type B came back negative. She does not believe that it is cdiff. But could be my ibs and anxiety. What does it actually mean to be negative for both Cdiff type A and B? I do feel better than I did this morning. But stomach is still a bit off. I come on this site to help others as best I can. But you all always beat me to the punch. And know so much more about all of this than I do. So thank you for taking the time out of your day to help all of us. One day hopefully they will find a way to wipe c diff out without all the lingering side effects. I've even been hearing some are now having issues with the transplants. That they still get ibs from that?

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:58 pm

C.diff produces 2 toxins A and B.
They are nothing to do with a type they are just the thing that makes you ill with c.diff.
You CAN have c.diff without it making you sick and without it producing toxins because it's a normal gut bacteria, but when you take an antibiotic is can over grow and cause you to become ill.
Hopefully Doxy will be OK but having a recent history of c.diff makes it a lot more likely that it can return.
If you and your Dr think the skin infection is serious and will not heal without antibiotics then there's not any choice but if it's a few itchy spots that would heal in a few days or that a topical cream would cure I don't think many here would be taking an oral antibiotic!

Jimmy34
Contributor

Postby Jimmy34 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:42 pm

Unfortunately the rash and blisters are all over my body. And they've been on me for months. With multiple guesses from doctors of what it could be. From bed bugs, ringworm, eczema, scabies, and now he believes it to be impetigo or even MRSA. It is on every part of my body now. I have been treated for the other things with creams as well as 2 different steroid creams and home remedies like bleach bathes and apple cider vinegar as well as white vinegar. I have expressed to all of my doctors that I do not want to take antibiotics. Anf asked the dermatologist if there was anything else that we could try. He said at this point no. So I will do my best to thwart any cdiff with probiotics and yogurt with live cultures. As well as any other suggestions. I do not want to live that nightmare again. I pray that I can get through this round of meds without getting c diff again. And that this skin condition will be gone once and for all. I also read somewhere that Florastor can kill cdiff? So much on the Internet. Hard to know whats true sometimes.
Last edited by Jimmy34 on Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Free Form Discussion”