Lesson Learned....

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Re: Lesson Learned....

Postby Lisa33 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:17 am

Oh man, code3rn - I can't believe you had to pay $2000 out of pocket. I certainly hope you get reimbursed. Hopefully, this round does the trick for you, and you can move on from all of this. Feel better!

Bobbie - So sorry your younger son is going through an episode. It sounds like things are improving with your foot - thank God for that!

denizz
Regular User

Postby denizz » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:22 am

my son is perfectly fine but still positive on pcr test ...what i know so far is test results are useless ..because if my son was having mucuous and dierriah than with that test result they would wanna treat him ..i seriously dont understand why do they do test ??? once i red pcr shows the part of a rna of the bacteria that can produce toxin a and b ...so if you are an asypmtomatic carrier of a toxin producing cdiff you ll always be positive on pcr ...ALWAYS ...Now i know if my son use antibiotic and he has mucous and blood after why to test him i already know he has c diff ...what i would do is i will try to see if he has another reason for mucous and dierriah and blood and if not than treat c diff ..i really dont know if your pcr means anything ??

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:25 pm

I took antibiotics in April/May and I was testing negative prior to that. I even tested negative when I was on the hospital after starting the antibiotics, but had D. Then the D stopped and I had not c diff symptoms for about 6 weeks. One weekend, I started feeling "off", got D and M and tested. Sure enough it was positive, but my doctors told me not to treat unless the D came back, which it did not. However, I can't stay I feel fine. I have colitis type symptoms - burning, pain and a lot of gas at time, M sometimes and more food intolerances. I have just been taking Pepto Bismol as needed, off an on - more off than on. I re-tested a month later and the test was still positive PCR, but I have had it go to negative without treatment before too, so you don't always test positive when you are a carrier. When I test negative, I don't usually have that burning in my colon.

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:27 pm

I've had many negative PCR tests post C diff when I had IBS symptoms, and I had a negative test a couple of weeks after I finished Bactrim, and my symptoms went away before I got the result anyway. So my experience is that no, you are not a life time carrier of C diff, and that it's not "normal" to test positive forever. I could understand not treating a person who tests positive if they have no symptoms. My question would be why did they order tests on somebody with no symptoms?

denizz
Regular User

Postby denizz » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:52 pm

hi amyc ..let me.answer your question ..no body ordered a test it is just me super woried mum.just paying for the.test and wanan see the result ..i had stool tested on a different lab which came negative and i asked them to recheck and told them.at another lab itnis always positive they rechecked and it came back positive ...when i have the test i make sure i use the same laboratory ..cs when younchange the machine and sets they use even that effects the results...it is gonnanbe almost 3 months he is fine and still toxin a and b positive but his stools are perfectly fine and no problems ...i am really so happy tonhear you can test negative on pcr ..do you use the same laboratory ..thanks

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:26 pm

I have gotten negative results from 3 different hospital labs over the past 6 years, and every time I got a negative my symptoms resolved by themselves within a day or two of submitting the sample. I would discuss your son's test results with a physician who can hopefully explain if your son is contagious (testing positive for toxins A and B makes me think that answer is yes). Again, if he's perfectly healthy I wouldn't want to give him vancomycin either, but I think you should still be practicing hand hygiene and avoiding public diaper changing stations like you would if he had symptoms.

Return to “Free Form Discussion”