Lesson Learned....

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
code3rn
Regular Contributor

Lesson Learned....

Postby code3rn » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:59 pm

so LESSON LEARNED: Cdiff veterans know more than most PCP's! Sure enough, two weeks after completing Cipro (that you all warned me not to do), I started having D and M. I specifically reminded my doc of my history of Cdiff and FMT. And she reassured me I would be fine with the Cipro. I called my PCP yesterday after a few days of bad symptoms and she ordered a stool culture and H. pylori only, no cdiff test. I moved 40 min away anyway, so time to find a new doctor.

So today at work (the ER), I checked myself in to have cdiff tests done. They came back indeterminate?? One test said positive for cdiff the other was negative. I believe it's a two part test, testing for the toxin and the antibody. Is anyone familar with this? Even the ER doctor (who I also work with) didn't know what indeterminate meant and had to call the lab. So they are sending it off to the regional lab for PCR testing. Also I had white blood cells in my stool. So the ER doc wants me to start Vanco. I will wait until the PCR test comes back though. I spoke with my GI doc who did my FMT (Dr. Stollman), and asked him what the plan would be. He said to do a Vanco taper if it is positive, and if I relapse, then he would consider FMT at that time. So frustrating, wish I could skip Vanco altogether. And also unbelievably mad at myself for taking the Cipro. I was feeling so good for the last two years that I thought I was permanently "cured". Now I know better. Hindsight is always 20/20, isn't it?

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Re: Lesson Learned....

Postby amyc » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:44 pm

Oh no, I am so, so sorry to hear this. Hopefully the vanco taper will work for you.

tessa63
Regular Contributor

Postby tessa63 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:20 pm

I had a multiple part test this past April and the toxins were negative but antigen/dna positive. I did not treat and ended up fine. I was scared to death but per my ID doc we waited. I think it might have been 3 parts... pcr +, toxins negative and the dna-gdh was positive or something like that, but as long as the toxins were negative we didnt treat. I have no idea what your test should be showing after an FMT and maybe its expected to all be negative? I did not end up relapsing, but I had not taken Cipro or any other antibiotic.

T

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:40 pm

I had the same thing happen. 5 - 6 weeks after taking antibiotics when I was hospitalized, I got a positive PCR, but symptoms were not too bad. Then a few weeks later, went to another lab and they did that GDH test and it came back indeterminate. PCR test was done and it was positive.

code3rn
Regular Contributor

Postby code3rn » Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:48 am

PCR came back positive :(

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:32 am

Dr. Stollman an has a good plan for you, and he cured you before. The vanco will stop your symptoms so you can feel better too.

code3rn
Regular Contributor

Postby code3rn » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:44 pm

Very true Amy! Won't let this get to me like last time. This time can be completely different than last and maybe Vanco will do the trick! No more pity party, putting on my big girl pants and dealing with it gracefully and head on :)

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:51 pm

I'm so sorry you are going through this!!!! Cipro started it for me also but after 2 years I would have hoped you can take it and not worry about this!
I trust Dr. Stollman, saw him when I was in the middle of this mess, I am sure he will get you through this
Maybe the Vanco will kick it this time!
Feel better soon
NanciT

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:26 pm

Love your positive attitude! You will get through this again! Damn Cipro... so frustrating.

Feel better!
Lisa

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:06 pm

Cipro is what caused my c diff initially too. Since you started treatment early, hopefully it will get rid of it.

code3rn
Regular Contributor

Postby code3rn » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:25 pm

It's strange because I took Cipro when I was younger and did fine. But I wasn't an ER nurse then and probably hadn't picked up cdiff from the hospital yet. Took my husband to the ER today in the middle of the night because he had severe abdominal pain and back pain. I thought he had a kidney stone like he has in the past. Turns out he is just probably severely backed up. I had to laugh! Complete opposite ends of the spectrum going on in our household.

Feeling some of the normal anxiety that comes along with this. I'm trying to fight it this time around with yoga and positive affirmations. So far the Vanco hasn't started to work but I think in a couple days it will. Oh and my insurance wouldn't cover the vanco, said I needed a prior authorization. Well on a Saturday that wasn't going to happen so I just paid for it up front and hoping to get reimbursed. $2,000 for the bottle! Holy cow.

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:44 pm

Oh my gosh, $2,000. I hope it helps stop your symptoms soon.

notheidi
Regular Contributor

Postby notheidi » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:21 am

Code3,

I'm so sorry!!! I also work in healthcare, mostly visiting SNFs, I'm a social worker. I had my second bout of c diff a little over a year ago. Just so sorry you're going through this again. Hang in there and good for your for being proactive and going to the ER.
2010 mod/sev w/leukocytosis, cefdenir-sinus inf, metro rx'd wrong, resurged during tx. recovered w/dose change, lost 40 lbs. 2015 mod recur fr SNF, no abx, resolved w/vanco. 7/2022 mod recur, community acq, no abx, intermittent prodrome but didn't realize

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:40 am

2000 dollars!! why don't you go for the liquid vanco , much cheaper , same effect.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:17 am

Another surprise from c diff. Don't blame yourself. I did the same thing - took two rounds of a z pak because I tolerated it before. Then, during foot surgery I asked for IV vanco which I had tolerated before because the surgeon insisted on an antibiotic.

I've tried to ignore familiar symptoms but it has been 5/6 wks since the zpaks and a month since surgery. Since I have IBS I have ignored them so far. I originally blamed myself because I went to a podiatrist a friend recommended - until I googled him and read about the complaints against him. We were in the middle of moving, and I thought I had an infected bunion but also had a bone spur. Thank God I changed to an orthopod. He did a great job, and I have graduated from a knee walker to a cane and can do without it a lot.

Some can take antibiotics after c diff.but many cannot and I don't believe doc's have a clue as to who the lucky ones are.

Saw our younger son today. He has had problems all his life and is having another episode. He spent a good part of his childhood sick at home. He is an asthmatic and a smoker and likes his beer. He's lost weight from stress and has a rash. I don't care how old your child is, you never stop worrying about him/her.

To quote a partially British expression, "Sod life."

Return to “Free Form Discussion”