Recovery Road...

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
jjglad
Regular Contributor

Recovery Road...

Postby jjglad » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:42 pm

I realized earlier this week that I have been off of Vanco as long as I was on it! While this is something to be happy about...I just wish I felt better to go along with the milestone. I am almost 5 months into recovery and a couple months ago I started on Levsin because it did not matter what i ate...it was all going right thru me. A motility issue to say the least! A combination of Levsin and Imodium was helping me for the last couple months to stay somewhat normal. I was only going 1-2 times a day and things were pretty well formed. The last week, it is like I haven't been taking anything again...

i have been recently tested to make sure CDiff was not reoccuring. PCR test was negative last week. I have also taken a new calprotectin test (waiting for results) to see if the inflammation has come down any from my Genova lab testing from a couple months ago.

I have had to double up on Levsin (2x a day) and Imodium in order to find any sort of normalcy. I was looking into Bentonite clay as some have mentioned that here. Can anyone give a good (or bad) report on whether BENTONITE CLAY helped then in their recovery?? What brand did/do you use? How did you take it? I have seen different information about whether it is for Diarrhea or Constipation.

I would appreciate knowing what you have used and what has helped the most get you over this horrible up and down in recovery. I am still eating bland, when I do eat. I am still taking probiotics! I am just continuing to lose weight little by little as I cannot eat enough to keep that from happening. over 50 lbs. in these last 9 months is quite enough! I worthless to those around me...my husband, my kids, etc. I am SO done!
Thank you in advance for your time!
Last edited by jjglad on Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jjglad
Regular Contributor

Re: Recovery Road...

Postby jjglad » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:19 pm

I thank you all for the support you have provided over the last 9+ months! It is truly a very lonely time! I just need help in figuring out what would help keep my system slowed down enough to eat little by little again. I am just so very frustrated and tired of living like this and wondering if I can get to the store and back before having issues! It is taking quite a toll on my family! What has helped your system stay slowed down? What has helped your system digest foods properly again? If I could get those two under control I could imagine nutrients would be absorbed again, hair would quit falling out so bad, etc.!
Thank you!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:30 pm

Have you ever tried taking Questran (cholestyramine) ? It binds up toxins and carries them out - for c diff and others too. It is pretty constipating. It is a powder that you mix with water and drink, but there is a pill version of it too - Coletipol I think it is called. Amyc takes it. You might ask your doctor about it. It requires a prescription.

jjglad
Regular Contributor

Postby jjglad » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:46 am

I think I briefly tried cholestyramine during CDiff treatment, but couldn't handle the grit and dealing with applesauce. I will certainly ask GI office about the pill form. Thank you for that. I have just gotten to a point where I am never going to be "normal" again. I feel like 5 months out and still clear of CDiff, I should be seeing improvement by now...???

Oh, and I just heard from GI office to say that my latest Fecal calprotectin results were back in normal range...how can that be when I am struggling with keeping the system under control?!? I just stay in a constant state of confusion!

How long has it taken others to finally turn a corner and not need so many meds to keep things under control?? After you were cleared from CDiff. Oh the damage that has clearly been done. :( I have also ordered some liquid calcium benzonite clay and see if that helps.

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:44 pm

I take two colestipol a day and treat a mast cell disorder with otc antihistamines daily and have normal guts. The meds are cheap and easy to take, I feel good, so I don't mind being on them for life. The colestipol tablets are big, but no gritty stuff.

jjglad
Regular Contributor

Postby jjglad » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:35 pm

Is it the generic colestipol that you take or the brand name colestid? I am researching and some have said the the colestipol caused them D instead of helping like the colestid does? Just wondering if brand name is better here vs. the generic which causes some people a worse problem?

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:43 pm

I take the generic.

Return to “Free Form Discussion”