virus?

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
tonia
Regular Contributor

virus?

Postby tonia » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:26 pm

Hello everyone.

I know general consensus on trying to differentiate between c diff and ibs is 3 days. I have been having some pretty bad issues in the restroom for about a week now. I am pretty sure ( I hope) that it is either a virus or some bad food I may have gotten. My husband is having the same issue, just not as severe. I was just wondering how long you all wait it out to see if symptoms are viral (or bad food). As is the case with most c differs, my first reaction is "I need a test", but I am just not so sure this time. (Which with the way my luck runs, probably means this is the one time I should test lol).

Any advice?
Thankyou!!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: virus?

Postby beth22 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:46 pm

If you think that it is bad food, I would ask for a test for other pathogens, that is, a regular stool culture. Some bacteria like campylobacter, and often salmonella, don't need to be treated, but some do. If nothing shows up, then it is probably a virus.

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:04 am

I would definitely call your doctor about your concerns, and ask for stool tests if your doctor thinks it's a good idea. A week is a long time to be feeling unwell, so it's probably a good idea to at least touch base with your doctor.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:51 am

Probably a virus Tonia since you stated that your husband is having the same issues , don't get scared ,you've been doing pretty good lately, do not worry about Cdiff.

tonia
Regular Contributor

Postby tonia » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:34 am

Spoke with both my family dr and my GI. They both feel I need to do a c diff test based on symptoms. They are concerned because if that is what is happening, I go downhill and end up hospitalized quickly. Water is now not even staying in. Wish me luck please.

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:27 pm

Sorry tonia :(. Maybe your husband should get stool tests done too if he is also having symptoms. You guys could have caught something else too.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:08 pm

Prayers all goes well tonia. Crossing fingers and toes that your test comes back negative.

iamsick
Long Time Contributor

Postby iamsick » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:32 pm

Praying it's just a bug or virus!
Teresa_68

NikaNik
Long Time Contributor

Postby NikaNik » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:11 pm

Praying it's just a bug or IBS episode. Keep us posted when you can. Hugs!

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:17 pm

If by water not staying in you mean your vomiting then it's probably not c.diff.
Still needs sorting out though.
Go to ER if your dehydrated but watch out for an antibiotic happy junior Dr who just wants you out of the bed!

tonia
Regular Contributor

Postby tonia » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:35 pm

Roy, at this point, I ALMOST wish it was vomiting....sadly, not the case. If it gets much worse there might be trip to the er in the near future, however, my docs are doing their best to keep me out of there because I usually end up admitted and generally end up with yet another HAI......very tricky balancing acy.

tonia
Regular Contributor

Postby tonia » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:45 pm

Did the walk of shame this morning. Will hopefully have results by the end of the day. C diff or not, there is something bad going on in there. Feels like I ate sand paper. Hurts so much. Trying to be optimistic, but even my husband thinks it is back again, and he NEVER thinks that. Ugh....tired of all this. C diff has long since worn out its welcome in my life.

Return to “Free Form Discussion”