Pedicure Anyone?

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
iamsick
Long Time Contributor

Pedicure Anyone?

Postby iamsick » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:33 pm

What's the view on getting pedicures and manicures post cdiff? I need one so badly!
Teresa_68

roy
Administrator

Re: Pedicure Anyone?

Postby roy » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:58 pm

As long as they don't suck your toes they will be fine!

justme
Long Time Contributor

Postby justme » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:22 pm

I get them every 3 weeks and never had a problem. In fact, I tend toward having ingrown toenails which get easily infected and the pedicure gets rid of them. Enjoy the rest and relaxation of the pampering you'll have.
Aloha,
Anne

Ashley20
Regular Contributor

Postby Ashley20 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:32 am

I started getting pedicures once a month since i got cdiff. I had never had one before but i tend to cut my nails wrong and give myself ingrown nails and the thought of an infected toe horrifies me. They do an amazing job...my feet have never looked better, now i wear sandals all the time :)

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:13 am

I never gave up my pedicures! That is my relaxing time! Once, I was over c-diff, I didn't think twice about it.

code3rn
Regular Contributor

Postby code3rn » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:39 pm

Definitely get them done if you want to! I have never had a doctor tell me otherwise. My GI doctor even told me to keep working in the ER where I am around cdiff fairly often. I think I may look for another job soon though. Just try to make sure they use new instruments every time and not cut your toe so you don't put yourself at risk for an infection. You don't have diabetes, right? Sometimes they don't recommend pedicures if you have Diabetes or neuropathy because you may not heal from a wound as easily nor will you be able to feel if you have a wound.

iamsick
Long Time Contributor

Postby iamsick » Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:06 pm

Thanks everyone for your input. No I am not diabetic, a blessing. Moving forward, I think I will have to have on foot in the death bed before I take any antibiotics. I have yet to step in a doctor's office. My adult kids that live with us have gone and I tell them to change their clothing and wash their hands when they came through the door. Then I go around and wipe the door knobs they have touched. They just call me the crazy lady!
Teresa_68

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:13 pm

I stopped getting mani/pedis when I was at my sickest because I felt too sick to go anywhere and I washed my hands so often my fingernails got ruined from being in water all the time. As soon as I felt well enough I went right back to getting my mani/pedis on a regular basis. I never ever do my own toes especially- best thing ever to sit back in that chair and have that done for you!

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:32 am

Just make sure the tools they use are clean. Residents at my mom's assisted living had a problem with an infection because the podiatrist they were using did no clean his instruments well.

My toe nails are a mess and I have a fungal infection for the first time. I think moving and surgery was too much for my already bad immune system.Thanks again, c diff.

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:50 pm

Teresa, I do the same when I come home from any doctor's appointment, and before I will sit or lie down on any furniture after I have been on an airplane. Call me crazy, I don't care! I found a pedicure place that uses disposable tub liners for each client, which is 't ecologically friendly, but I don't get more than a couple pedicures a year, so I don't care lol. But I won't let them use the cuticle clippers or metal skin files on my feet, and one place was using cheese graters on heel calluses, and I politely refused that as well.

iamsick
Long Time Contributor

Postby iamsick » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:37 pm

Great tips Amy! I have to call around to find one that does use the throw away basin. I have seen them just spray bleach/disinfectant, but not sure what they are using and if they let it stay wet the required amount of time. I need one sooo badly!
Teresa_68

Return to “Free Form Discussion”