Eczema from taking Florastor

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
Jimmy34
Contributor

Eczema from taking Florastor

Postby Jimmy34 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:44 pm

I know this may be a stretch. But since I've had C diff I developed eczema and cannot figure out why? I have been using the same detergent soaps and cleaning products for years. I got cdiff back in December of 2015. And I noticed around February or March these tiny bumps on my feet and some here or there in different areas of my body. I just thought maybe bug bites. But they wouldn't go away. And then they got worse with time. Long story short after going to my doctors and A dermatologist. He came to the conclusion that I have eczema. But not sure what triggered it. I was thinking about what ive changed that could have teiggered it. And the only thing that has changed since contracting cdiff has been my diet. And taking probiotics. I am currently only taking the florastor still. And started taking ot around the time my eczema began. Have any of you heard of florastor causing eczama breakouts? To my knowledge ive never had eczama before this.

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Re: Eczema from taking Florastor

Postby amyc » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:16 pm

Please research mast cells. Post infectious IBS can result from increased numbers of mast cells in the gut. It can also develop into hypersensitivity of mast cells in your skin. This is an excellent article:

http://www.dysautonomiainternational.or ... -and-mcas/

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:19 pm

And florastor made me so gassy I couldn't take it so I never gave it time to cause a rash.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:39 pm

Amy
Please suggests a poster asks their Dr if something like Benadryl will help!
If you say pop a Benadryl or two we have to delete it.

Davidtm
Regular Contributor

Postby Davidtm » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:27 pm

I have had eczema my whole life. I don't get it as much as I used to when I was a kid but I still get it here and there. I haven't noticed an increase of it during c diff or the month after I had it the first time. I usually get it when my skin gets really dry or I'm under a lot of stress. Wind doesn't do me any favors. That being said this disease causes a lot of stress and the constant cleaning, hand washing, etc are making me more dry. Cleaning agents are very drying and stress has had an effect on mine. I get the nodular eczema on my arms, legs, and torso so I've been very careful about getting too dry. The mast cells Amyc mentioned sounds very interesting and I'm going to read up on that too. I'd be curious the effect of yeast probiotics like florestor on eczema too. Interesting to hear it started round about then. Luckily eczema is easily relieved! Lotion helps me when I Have flares. Talk to your dr about the best kinds for you and whatever you do don't scratch them! Always makes it itch worse for me if I do. Good luck and hope you figure out the cause.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:16 am

Florastor gave me a ton of gas, but it also gave me a rash. I discontinued it and the rash went away. Then I tried another brand of sacc. boulardii and the same thing happened. I don't know if my rash was eczema or something else, but it was raised bumps as well. So, yes, it is possible.

However, I think that having c diff lowers the immune system. It depletes the body of some vitamins and minerals, causes malabsorption, etc. When you get run down, something that you are prone to having, like eczema, can recur I would think. I am not a medical professional, but I know that when I am stressed or my body is stressed, I tend to get things.

Jimmy34
Contributor

Postby Jimmy34 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:16 pm

Thank you all for the info. I will look into things more. I see the dermatologist again this Thursday. I have been reading up on it. And I don't believe it is because of the probiotics I'm taking. I think it has more to do with my immune system being beaten down by the c diff and the stress and anxiety cdiff has caused. Just one more thing that I will overcome in time.

Jimmy34
Contributor

Postby Jimmy34 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:13 am

Had my follow up for this skin issue. They did a biopsy on one of them. Now the dermatologist thinks may be one of three things. Eczama, Some virus that I don't remember the name of. But he is doubtful that it's that. Or its scabies. But he's not sure So they should have the results back in a week. I keep telling the doctors this all started back in February when I was on Vanco to kill the cdiff. Not sure how I could have contracted scabies. I don't really have much human contact. And neither one of my roommates have any issues. And the cream they gave me to treat scabies is the same cream they gave me when they thought it was ringworm. Lol. I feel like a lab rat right now. Just ready for all this to get resolved. On a good note. My PI-IBS is minimal right now. Got back on another probiotic this week as well as still taking the florastor. And eating better than I was. But with the bs with the doctors my nerves are all over the place. I just keep telling myself this to shall pass. And to calm down. Cdiff was way worse than this. So I can handle it. I would just like a definitive answer. Hopefully after the test results come back I will get my answers and can get this all resolved. I hope you all are well. Have a great day.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:42 am

I can't speak to the cause of your eczema, but my daughter has terrible eczema. Unfortunately when it really flares up, we use a prescription steroid cream. But that's usually only necessary when her seasonal allergies are bad. But I found this OTC cream called Vanicream to be very helpful in preventing flares and soothing the eczema. It was suggested by her dermatologist. We also use aquaphor, which seems to help as well. We were told to apply the creams to damp skin after a shower. Not sure why, but we do it. Just thought I'd share this in case these creams would be helpful to you.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:38 pm

This threads almost 12 months old. I deleted the recent post as it's signature line was advertising a botox clinic

juweee
New User

Postby juweee » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:18 am

I know this is an old post, but I was searching for eczema and came across it. Thought I would post my experience in case it's helpful for anyone.

I noticed significant eczema flare up while on my meds (Vanco, Flagyl and another antibiotics to calm down appendicitis/peritonitis). I am also taking florastor. I am sensitive to gluten and try to avoid since I know it flares up my eczema but it looks like all those meds are gluten free (quick internet research). This was a bit of a mystery, especially on the very limited and clean diet I am on right now (no lactose, no alcohol, no coffee, no gluten, no raw anything...).

Last week I went off Flagyl and the eczema has subsided significantly (as well as other side effects- numbness, fatigue, lack of appetite). Obviously, not a professional medical opinion here, but I suspect that Flagyl was the culprit for my eczema flare ups.

Thought this might be helpful in case someone else comes across similar issues.

Return to “Free Form Discussion”