IBS from food or stress?

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
Cm1619
Regular Contributor

IBS from food or stress?

Postby Cm1619 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:52 am

Hi all! I'm wondering what your IBS triggers are. I swore mine was food but now I'm starting to think it's more stress. I went on vacation a couple weeks ago and during the week there I ate semi-bad. Subway, donuts, pulled pork sandwiches, chips, etc and had GREAT BMs. No early morning urgency, once a day, formed. Then I come home and after a week of being home and eating bland again(chicken, rice, yogurt, Kefir, the usual...) I am back to early morning urgency and frequent loose stools. Nothing is going on in my life right now that's that stressful minus this annoying morning IBS. It's driving me crazy to go to the bathroom so much every single morning. It seems like I felt my best when I was eating whatever the heck I wanted and not thinking of my BMs. Wondering if I should give it a try and eat whatever I want this week????

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Re: IBS from food or stress?

Postby amyc » Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:59 am

Stop the kefir and yogurt if you didn't have them on the road. They could be causing the problem.

Cm1619
Regular Contributor

Postby Cm1619 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:19 pm

I can't believe I didn't think of that but it makes sense. I didn't have my probiotics or Kefir while I was out of town but I was eating my yogurt. Interesting. I'm going to stop them this week and see if it helps! I've been having terrible IBS on and off this month but I've also been hitting the probiotics hard. I'll have to post an update after I try this. I already had my Kefir and probiotic this morning but I'll start tomorrow.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:35 pm

What about dairy? Were you having dairy while you away other than yogurt? Compare dairy away vs at home to see if you may have developed lactose intolerance.
Also, if you can't find a cause I would change probiotics or decrease frequentcy.

Sometimes IBS just flares.

Rita

Cm1619
Regular Contributor

Postby Cm1619 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:54 pm

I've been dairy free for over a month now aside from the low-fat yogurt that I eat. I haven't touched alcohol and I don't eat greasy food or too many fresh veggies or fruit. Just the safe ones like cooked veggies or peeled apples and bananas. I'm tempted to just eat what I want bc my IBS is miserable either way it seems :/

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:40 pm

My IBS was triggered by stress, and sometimes came on for no rhyme or reason. Food were never triggers for me.

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:34 pm

Probiotics cause D for many people, and you have had a couple of negative C diff tests, so stopping probiotics and kefir would be my first step. Good probiotics aren't cheap either, and I am all about saving money :).

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:03 pm

Stress is a big factor for me. However, raw vegetables, salads, fruit, also were not tolerated well.

Return to “Free Form Discussion”