Medical IDs?

Veteran support board users and new posters - use this forum to talk about whatever you want. Topics may be C. diff. related but are not required to be. Post here about posters' birthdays, holiday greetings, vacation plans, etc. If it doesn't fit in another forum, put it here.
niccat
Brand New Poster

Medical IDs?

Postby niccat » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:32 pm

Hi all,

I recently had an FMT. I had to sign off on a lot of things (as it's still considered "investigational", apparently), and was given a card from OpenBiome which I'm meant to carry in my wallet at all times. It states that I had recurrent c. difficile and underwent FMT treatment, along with the date. It's supposed to be shown to any medical providers that want to prescribe me antibiotics.

Since this is the second medical card I need to carry (one other for Rh-), I went ahead and ordered a medical ID tag bracelet. Has anyone else done this? If so, did you register with a service? Which? I simply got one engraved via Lauren's Hope, but I'm considering getting something set up online.

Thanks!

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Medical IDs?

Postby NanciT » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:52 pm

Hi

I have not heard of anyone getting a medical ID for Post CDIFF. There always needs to be communication because if you had a life threatening illness that required an antibiotic, your history of CDIFF is something you would need to discuss. There are some antibiotics that are better to take then others.

You may want to consider an Advance Directive, something everyone should have in their medical records. In that it would be easier to give an explanation of the history of CDIFF and precautions that need to be taken.
NanciT

Nancy1
Administrator

Re: Medical IDs?

Postby Nancy1 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:10 pm

I got a medic alert bracelet that I wore during and after my cdiff. Mainly I got it because both my father and my sister died in West Virginia during my cdiff. I was flying back and forth across the country a lot. I wanted the stewardesses to know, if I needed to cut into the line on the plane for the restroom, that I had a good reason for urgency. I also wanted any first responders to know that I had cdiff, so if I were in an accident, they wouldn't automatically give me antibiotics.

Return to “Free Form Discussion”